RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

winter

Jun 4, 2003, 5:36 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Help! Camera Accident
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am new to photography but have been having fun being ignorant and learning as I go so far. So, the point of this is that my camera was in an accident and now is busted. It's an SLR cannon and the problem is that the portion of the lense where you pick MF/AF has broken off. AS a result the lense will no longer stay screwed on to the camera and the camera doesn't know what mode then lense is in (it thinks MF always) when it is precariously mounted. Any suggestions? Is my lense busted for good, or do you think this can be fixed? It will cost a fortune to buy a new one. The lense is my regular one and the only other one I have is a 300 zoom, a little much for every day.

edge

Jun 4, 2003, 5:43 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Re: Help! Camera Accident [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all, I'd feel sorry for you if it wasn't for the fact that you're from Calgary. Color me a little jealous...

Second, I think the lens sounds like it's toast. Take it to a camera shop to be sure, but my guess is that it will cost as much to fix as to replace it; that has always been my experience. You may be able to find one on e-bay or at a pawn shop that will fit for a reasonable cost.

Buy the best one you can afford; your lens is the camera's eye!

Good luck.

michhiker

Jun 4, 2003, 5:44 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quick fix. Buy a new one. Sorry, but that's how these things always seem to work out in my world.

social_climber

Jun 4, 2003, 6:06 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I borrowed a camera and it got in an accident that involved: 45 meters, a couple of loud bangs, and one sad climber. Likely just gonna buy another one to replace it for the owner. :cry:

winter

Jun 4, 2003, 6:09 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys, I'll have to take it in, but man this sucks. It was in it's camera bag and took a bad fall, totally my fault. Even the bag (a pretty sturdy one) was busted up. What a stupid thing to happen. We'll see what they say at the camera place, but I bet it doesn't look good.

argurl

Jun 4, 2003, 6:10 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you likely will have to buy a new lens. :cry: although, i'm not sure i understand why your lens won't stay on if only the MF/AF button is broken off... from what i know of cannon slr's, doesn't it just slide back and forth? it could also be something with where the lens attaches to the body. did the camera body and lens have a great fall/mishap, etc? you should get the body checked as well b/c it sounds like it is more than a lens problem.

i'm guessing if your new to photography, you might have an eos? those things just don't last through much. actually, that has been my whole experience w/ cannons. :evil: had one and something happened to the lens, and to this day i still do not know what, other than it was fairly irrepairable and buying a new one was the best option.
so, i improved my skills, bought a nikon, and am very happy. :mrgreen:

sorry if this is no help to you, i'm frazzled today at work. best of luck finding a good shop to take it in for a look!

biff

Jun 4, 2003, 6:15 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Calgary, and have a Canon SLR (10D) .. if your lens is broken, and they won't fix it for you , I might consider buying it from you.

What lens is it?
If it is a basic 28-80 or whatever comes with the Rebel bodies .. I think it would be cheper to just buy a new lens.

sean34

Jun 4, 2003, 6:50 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If its <1year old send it to the Canon Factory...you should a 1 year warranty. I messed my G3 on a trip to the grand canyon and the warranty saved my arse.

its worth a shot anyway

Sean

winter

Jun 4, 2003, 7:09 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, thanks again everyone.
Biff- it is the 29-80 that came with the camera, which is an Elan 7 eos. It's just over 2 years old. I can' t beleive that with all the sketchy places I've taken it this should happen now, at skaha of all places. Anyway, I will keep you posted or pm you re: the status of the lense. Why would you like you buy a busted lense by the way... (I mean it;s not totally busted...it still focuses manually and everything, there's just pieces busted off)

bdawg

Jun 4, 2003, 7:14 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of Canon slr's... I have a canon Rebel 2000 that I am trying to sell if anyone is interested. PM me

troutboy

Jun 4, 2003, 7:19 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't sweat it too much. You can get a good used lens from a reputable dealer for not too many $$$$.

Try KEH cameras at http://www.keh.com/hmpg/index.cfm. I've used them many times. Good gear, good rep, equipment in same condition as advertised. Stick to lenses labelled mint or excellent.

TS

biff

Jun 5, 2003, 4:58 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am good at fixing stuff.

I don't really have a need for a 28-90 lens .. I have a 28-300 which works extremely well for my purposes. I was just thinking it would be cool to try an fix, and take apart to see how it works.

jeffers_mz

Jun 5, 2003, 6:42 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds to me like you lost part of the mounting ring, and what is essentially a trim ring that actuates MF/AF. That may not be that expensive to fix, as mounts are designed to be easily replaced.

Have them check the alignment of the lens elements inside though, as you may well have knocked the optics out of whack. Make that check before you decide to have it fixed if they say its possible.

Otherwise just hit a pawnshop. There are a zillion Canons out there which are being replaced in the mass markets with point and shoots and digitals so the pawnshops should be bursting at the seams with cheap Canon zooms.

If you think you've got it rough, imagine the night I went to shoot a rock band at a bar, the neckstrap of my Nikon F3 came loose in the parking lot on the way in, knocking an 80-210mm about 30 degrees off skew, and then the lead guitarist's dad knocked a beer over into my open bag, leaving 3 Nikon bodies and 10 lenses, including two very expensive architectural wide angle skew lenses awash in three inches of sloshing foam.

ryanpfleger

Jun 5, 2003, 6:56 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jefferz has good advice, I would agree that mounts could be fixed for less than the price of a new lens, but if it took that much of a beating, it may have more issues than just the ones you can see. I would try running a roll through it on manual focus to see how the optics are. Plus if its only the AF thats broken it would still be worthwhile to keep around. Personally I use MF way more often than AF, especially if I'm taking climbing pics.

Ryan

winter

Jun 5, 2003, 7:41 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, it's not the AF/MF thing that bothers me, it's the mounting part. I agree there may be some optical problems as well, but until I can get it to mount properly I can't take any pictures of anything. I think the camera body is ok...I guess we'll see about that. There are no pieces obviously broken, but it is a little scratched.
Luckily this didn't all happen in a bar;)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook