RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

chicanodoc

Jun 6, 2003, 5:59 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

LAS VEGAS BABY!!! Red Rocks.....June 21-22
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:o

kalcario

Jun 6, 2003, 6:16 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Re: LAS VEGAS BABY!!! Red Rocks.....June 21-22 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a helpful hint for planning your climbing trips in the U.S. First, buy a newspaper that has national news coverage. Most of them have a page that is devoted to this stuff called "Weather". There will usually be a column titled "U.S. Cities". There follows a list of U.S. cities followed by some numbers. These are "Temperatures". If the one next to Las Vegas is higher than, say, 80, you can assume that it was too hot to climb at Red Rocks that day.

OK, here's where it gets a little tricky. The weather and temperatures are generally dependant on and predictable by these fluctuations called "Seasons". There are 4 of them, Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. June is usually considered The Hottest Season (Summer). If it was 106 degrees yesterday in Las Vegas (which it was) you can assume that it will be about the same in a few weeks because it will still be Summertime in the desert in which Las Vegas is located. 106 degrees is usually considered "Too Hot" a "Temperature" in which to go rock climbing. Hope this helps

grigriese

Jun 6, 2003, 6:38 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come on, Joe, doesn't Las Vegas sound like fun. 106, that's downright chilly compared to the 120 they see in July and August.

vegastradguy

Jun 6, 2003, 6:57 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha, very funny. there's plenty of shady climbing in Red Rocks, you just have to know where to look. and get up early.

anyway, i would volunteer, but unfortunately (for you, anyway) i'll be bumming in the valley that week.

have fun. pm me for shady routes.

mreardon

Jun 9, 2003, 8:00 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That was damn funny Joe! However, if someone is still determined to climb in Vegas in June, I would recommend Charleston (drilled out pockets and all, but at least it's cooler) or early morning deep in the canyon trad stuff (Icebox canyon comes to mind).

drkodos

Jun 9, 2003, 8:06 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plenty of climbing to be done here.....all summer.

Black Velvet kicks back into the shade by 1pm....

Epinephrine is in the shade.
The Gallery stays shaded untill noon.
The Black Corridor see about an hour of sun, maybe.....

Just climbed all day Saturday. Temps in Vegas were near or over 100. Temps in the canyons were in the mid 80's.

Ironically, Icebox Canyon is not that great in the Summer! Intense sun and heat beats straight down on the walls for most of the day. Icebox has one of the smallest "windows" of climbability (is that a word?) of all the canyons.

Charleston is closer to some parts of Vegas than is Red Rock Canyon.

No doubt, Vegas is the HOME to YEAR-ROUND climbing.

chicanodoc

Jun 12, 2003, 4:15 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512

Jun 12, 2003, 4:40 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your sarcastic comments are a great indicator to little something we like to call in the medical community..."low intelligence quotient!"

Eric Padilla Quiñones, MD,
Dartmouth-Brown Medical Schools

Your posting your medical credentials to this forum is a great indicator of what you in the medical community like to call "Compensatory Narcissistic Personality Disorder."

-Jay

vegastradguy

Jun 12, 2003, 4:40 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn, Jay beat me to it. :D

tripperjm

Jun 12, 2003, 4:48 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your posting your medical credentials to this forum is a great indicator of what you in the medical community like to call "Compensatory Narcissistic Personality Disorder."
I just call it SPRAY!!! Tell us more, I can't wait to hear how b-tchen you are!

tripperjm

Jun 12, 2003, 4:50 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yea, kalcario that was HILARIOUS!!!!

m3nco

Apr 30, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chicanodoc wasn't quite yet an MD at the date of his postings in 2003 where he listed his credentials. He graduated May 31, 2004 from Brown Med School. Furthermore, he has never been a licensed physician in California under his posted name. These things are very easy to verify these days.

I have a question for you real doctors out there. Are you a physician just because you have an M.D.? Can you be an "unlicensed" physician if you have never worked as an intern or otherwise?

nutsnbolts

Apr 30, 2006, 5:05 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You get your MD when you finish medical school. So you are a "doctor" when you finish your 4 years of school. To practice medicine however, you must at least do a one year internship. You can get a licence to practice medicine (in most states) after one year. So you could theoretically hang your shingle and take care of patients at this point. You would not be board certified in any specialty, even for primary care such as Family Fractice or Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, etc. you need to finish a residency (minimum 3 years), then most physicians will take the board exam in whatevery they are going into, and get certified (in Pediatrics, general surgery, whatever). If you are a patient, it would be best to make sure your physician is board certified to practice in whatever you are seeing them for. There are some out there who either have not taken their exam (you are not obligated to) or perhaps have failed it. Or they are practicing something outside the field that they trained in.

Why would you revive this thread? Just to ask what you asked about medical school?

m3nco

Apr 30, 2006, 7:42 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I didn't phrase my question correctly. But that is why I ask-- because its the definition of "physician" that I am unclear about. When I look it up in the dictionary the definition almost always refers to a licensed practitioner. I understand that once you graduate from medical schoo, you are an M.D. But having an M.D. in and of itself means you are a physician? True or not? Don't you have to have done your one year intern and obtained a license? I know you can't legally work as a practioner without a license. "Can you still call yourself a physician?" is what I want to know specifically.

I revived this thread because Chicanodoc (Eric P. Quinones, M.D.) was adding M.D. to his name in 2003 before he graduated. Do you condone that? I think that is a little strange. Am I wrong?

Aren't you doctor types sticklers for details?

m3nco

Apr 30, 2006, 8:41 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Posted: 12 June 2003, 16:15

I just wanted to preserve this quote. I have also saved the page as an HTML

In reply to:
Your sarcastic comments are a great indicator to little something we like to call in the medical community..."low intelligence quotient!" Before you make generalized ignorant statements like below, get your facts together! One...do you know the climbing conditions I enjoy, obviously not. Two...how versed are you in the plethora of crag availability located in shaded areas of Red Rocks...not very. Three...if this is not of sincere interest to you...find something else to do with your time instead of telling us (me) how you read the weather section of the news paper. And lastly, don't assume I'm not familiar with the conditions at "Summertime," being that I was born and raised in LA and have spent more time in Vegas and the Southwest than most.

Eric Padilla Quiñones, MD,
Dartmouth-Brown Medical Schools

YOU WROTE...
Here's a helpful hint for planning your climbing trips in the U.S. First, buy a newspaper that has national news coverage. Most of them have a page that is devoted to this stuff called "Weather". There will usually be a column titled "U.S. Cities". There follows a list of U.S. cities followed by some numbers. These are "Temperatures". If the one next to Las Vegas is higher than, say, 80, you can assume that it was too hot to climb at Red Rocks that day.

OK, here's where it gets a little tricky. The weather and temperatures are generally dependant on and predictable by these fluctuations called "Seasons". There are 4 of them, Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. June is usually considered The Hottest Season (Summer). If it was 106 degrees yesterday in Las Vegas (which it was) you can assume that it will be about the same in a few weeks because it will still be Summertime in the desert in which Las Vegas is located. 106 degrees is usually considered "Too Hot" a "Temperature" in which to go rock climbing. Hope this helps

nutsnbolts

Apr 30, 2006, 9:02 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The difference I guess is you have the MD and are a physician when you graduate. But you are not licenced to do anything or practice medicine as in my above post.

In reply to:
I revived this thread because Chicanodoc (Eric P. Quinones, M.D.) was adding M.D. to his name in 2003 before he graduated. Do you condone that?

He was premature in adding the MD- if you are correct about the dates. I neither condone nor condemn it. I don't care. Why do you? Plenty of posers on the internet are not what they say they are. Maybe I am not a doctor either. :wink:

Peace.

m3nco

Apr 30, 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I care--no further explanation needed. That's all. Thanks for you input, nutsandbolts. I would like to put this inquiry out to other "real" doctors for a consensus--doctors, maybe who won't suggest that they might be posers too. It's obvious that on the internet, there are plenty, posers, that is. Unfortunately, when these posers come to real life and interact within a community, its rather disconcerting (prematurely adding MD to your signature is the least of concerns). I speak for the wife, the daughter, the mother, the grandmother, the friend..... be what you say you are. its not right.

anybody else? What do YOU think?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook