RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

climber1

Jun 18, 2003, 5:28 AM
Post #1 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

A Great Quote
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"Sportclimbing is like sportf******. No committment just a lot of fun"
J. Bridwell

Partner coldclimb

Jun 18, 2003, 5:49 AM
Post #2 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Re: A Great Quote [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lol...

Is this a troll? :lol:

muncher

Jun 18, 2003, 5:52 AM
Post #3 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Troll?

In reply to:
J. Bridwell

As much as I admire Bridwell and his accomplishments this quote is totally bollocks. Sure there is not much chance of getting hurt but there is the commitment needed to really push yourself as hard as possible. The same with bouldering, do you really think people like Fred Nicole climb dreamtime without any commitment, crap. Climbing something that is brick hard, no mater what you level is requires committment. Sure I enjoy a good run out trad climb where you have to commit to a life threatening runout, that is all good but I just cannot believe that my hardest sport redpoints were done with no committment. They sure felt bloody hard to me and forced my to dig a little deeper than ever before.

Do you really think someone like Sharma didn't show committment when trying to send Realization?

Hopefully I got my point across somewhere in there.

Then again I probably just got trolled didn't I, oh well.

climbsomething

Jun 18, 2003, 7:09 AM
Post #4 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Then again I probably just got trolled didn't I, oh well.
Yes.

pbjosh

Jun 18, 2003, 7:42 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing a hard sport climb or boulder problem (assuming it isn't R or X rated or something) requires about as much commitment as increasing your bench press weight or lowering your mile time. Yeah you gotta work hard, yeah it's mental, yeah yeah yeah.

But climbing a difficult, long, hard to retreat from alpine route in a remote range, possibly solo, with unknown difficulty, weather, and descent, that's f*cking commitment. Compared to that climbing a hard sport route is like running a fast mile - it might get you more recognition, but it doesn't require anywhere near the level of commitment.

josh

rockprodigy

Jun 18, 2003, 3:17 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As much as I admire Bridwell and his accomplishments this quote is totally bollocks.

He's talking about a different type of commitment here. You're talking about going back to your proj day after day... I agree, that takes a certain type of commitment.

He's talking about the type of commitment that's required on an alpine big-wall where there comes a point when the only way to get off the wall (and survive) is to summit because you're so high up that you don't have enough gear on your rack to rappel. The only way to equate that commitment to your type of commitment would be to free-solo that proj of yours.

muncher

Jun 18, 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to keep the troll happy.

I agree that climbing an Alpine big wall and many other trad climbing situations require way more commitment than sport climbing. Of course the level of committment increases with the level of risk, my point was that to climb hard, sport or otherwise requires committment. It maybe a different type of committment but committment all the same. I would say though that doing easy sport climbs is about as committing as deciding what kind of breakfast cereal to eat this morning.

As to free soloing my project, that is not a bad idea, look for me in the next who died section of climbing magazine.

alpinerockfiend

Jun 18, 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of you Tucson climbers help me out with this one: There's one of the "Sparky Speaks" quotes in Squeezing the Lemmon about sport climbing. It says something about sport routes being like fast food- they fill up the day yet when you're through, you are never satisfied. Or something....

supe

Jun 18, 2003, 11:41 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who wants commitment in a hobby? aka something fun to do in the afternoons, weekends, and vacations? If I wanted commitment i would get a girlfreind, or a car payment... not nearly as fun as climbing!

jt512

Jun 18, 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Who wants commitment in a hobby?

Lots of people, including me.

In reply to:
aka something fun to do in the afternoons, weekends, and vacations?

I sort of feel sorry for you. You're missing out on a lot of what climbing has to offer. You get out of the sport what you put into it. Of course some climbers are just looking for an afternoon of casual climbing, but that approach is not for me.

-Jay

jipstyle

Jun 19, 2003, 12:03 AM
Post #11 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As much as I admire Bridwell and his accomplishments this quote is totally bollocks. Sure there is not much chance of getting hurt but there is the commitment needed to really push yourself as hard as possible. The same with bouldering, do you really think people like Fred Nicole climb dreamtime without any commitment, crap. Climbing something that is brick hard, no mater what you level is requires committment. ... [They] required me to dig a little deeper than ever before.

Do you really think someone like Sharma didn't show committment when trying to send Realization?

I agree 100%. Sport climbing requires a different kind of commitment. Your life may not be in danger, but you still need 100% mental and emotional commitment to send a route / problem that is at the limit of your ability.

The great thing about climbing, for me, is that it requires me to focus completely, every fiber of me, on what I am doing right now . Hard sport climbing requires a complete mental / physical commitment to focus under extreme physical duress; hard trad climbing requires the same thing to maintain your focus under emotional duress (ie., fear).

peas

Jun 19, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #12 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
J. Bridwell
Bridwell is a smart man, but here he is just plain wrong. Sport climbing is no fun. :wink:

tenn_dawg

Jun 19, 2003, 12:38 AM
Post #13 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

/\/\/\/\/\
HAHAHAHA!

Travis

climber1

Jun 19, 2003, 4:37 AM
Post #14 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="jipstyle"]
In reply to:
As much as I admire Bridwell and his accomplishments this quote is totally bollocks. Sure there is not much chance of getting hurt but there is the commitment needed to really push yourself as hard as possible. The same with bouldering, do you really think people like Fred Nicole climb dreamtime without any commitment, crap. Climbing something that is brick hard, no mater what you level is requires committment. ... [They] required me to dig a little deeper than ever before.

No I didn't

muncher

Jun 19, 2003, 5:03 AM
Post #15 of 15 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good for you :D

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook