RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

dantheman31

Jun 18, 2003, 11:48 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1706 views)
Shortcut

Yeah!!!!!!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I set my first one up yesterday and sucked horribly. I gave up after about 20 minutes and went inside dejected and frustrated. Today I went out to give it another shot and got the hang of it pretty quick. The one I set up was about 11 or so feet long and I can walk back and forth on it every couple of tries. It is so fun that I had a hard time quitting. I am so excited that I can walk across on it because it is finally a worthwhile pastime along with a superfun activity. I have a couple of questions though. Is it harder when the line is longer or shorter and is it harder when the line is really tight or relativley loose. I like it pretty loose and I was wondering if thats good or bad?Anyway, all the people who think they cant do it need to try it and devote some time to it. Any newbies reading this need to keep trying nomatter how hard it gets. Cheers!!!

adm4now

Jul 11, 2003, 3:10 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1706 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yeah!!!!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It really depends on what your used too. I really think that longer lines are harder because it wobbles alot more in the middle. And I think thighter is better because it wobbles more if its looser. But if you can walk it when its loose then I guess its fine. I like it at a medium length.

givemeshorebreak

Jul 22, 2003, 6:31 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like you I started on a relatively short line, about 17 feet, and I got the hang of it faster than I had ever expected. It was pretty tight so thats what I got used to I think. Since then I have tried on longer lines, up to about 50 feet, and I have found them to be a lot harder for me to get all the way across. they get really loose in the middle and although I can stay on the line for a while, it starts to swing back and forth and i have had a hard time staying on.
So, I think the longer and looser lines are harder than the shorter and tighter ones. Practice practice practice though and things will happen.

woods

Jul 25, 2003, 3:18 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second the "it's what you're used to" opinion.

Personally, I have a hard time with tight or short lines. I've been walking on a 70' line all season that had a couple feet of drop to it, and to me that long slow swing feels natural. I feel like it's easier, since the large swing gives you so much more leeway for mistakes -- you can get your center of gravity pretty far off to the side and still be able to bring the line around quickly to recover.

Super-tight lines feel too "twitchy" to me, but I probably just haven't learned the right way to recover on them yet. I'm spending more time on them so that they'll feel more comfortable, but it feels like a whole different skill set.

-- Scott

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook