Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hyhuu

Jun 20, 2003, 2:33 PM
Post #1 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Naming routes in the gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently saw an indoor gym that names the routes. What's your opinion? I think it's rather .... lame. I have a few desk and chair problems in my office, maybe I should name the problems too, since I'm the FA (not that anyone else will ever climb it). :) Climb on.

welshcorgi

Jun 20, 2003, 2:47 PM
Post #2 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Re: Naming routes in the gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I know people who name their body parts, "I'll show you my Bettys if you show me your John Thomas". I think it's kind of interesting.

When I'm at the gym I'd much rather say "lets go for another burn on Mutilated Monkey Meat" than "how about doing laps on that pink taped route over by the pillar that's next to the water cooler". 8)

leaverbiner

Jun 20, 2003, 2:48 PM
Post #3 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say, if your route setters or members have the imagination to come up with names, go right ahead. Cimbing in the gym sucks enough as it is, and it is often hard to stay motivated while pulling on plastic, so if a name makes it even the slightest bit easier to stay motivated and try to send, why the hell not . . . OUr gym used to name routes but the route setters got lazy and lost imagination, so now there is just one "classic" route that always has a name . . . there is a line up the steepest part of the gym, that is lead only, that has always been used, and always been in the mid 10 to easy 11 range, for many aspiring leaders it is a right of passage so they have always given it a name that has something to do with "goat" (don't ask where the Goat reference came in). Now you always here people talking about "wanting to send the Goat" or "Have you been on the New Goat?" It is just a motivational tool and seems to work well.

orangekyak

Jun 20, 2003, 2:52 PM
Post #4 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I set routes at a gym and name a lot of them for a number of reasons.

Routes in our gym typically stay up for one-to-two months. It's more fun to hear people refer to "Al's Jazz Era" than "the orange 5.10 by the front desk."

It's fun having people guess why something got a certain name. I set a 5.9 the other day and named it "down in smoke." people walk up to it and think "oh it's a reference to a cheech and chong movie." after failing to flash it because they couldn't figure out the sequence first try, they offer lower off angry at themselves - they're coming down in smoke.

As a route setter, I want people to climb my routes so I can watch them do the moves or hear what they think of the routes. Sometimes I'll name a route with an appealing name so that people get on it. Another route I set this week, a balancy 5.10 that works up an arete and out a roof. I named it "the stuff we all like" because who doesn't like funky moves and roof hauls?

Other times it's built in beta "use your feet, stupid" or "when in doubt, reach left."

As for your office situation, go ahead and name your stuff. Last time I worked in an office I went so nuts I gave some people and objects some choice names ...

Partner cracklover

Jun 20, 2003, 2:54 PM
Post #5 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like coming up with names for my climbs, indoors or out. Some people don't even notice the names - all they care about is the rating, while others really enjoy the names.

Kind of ironic, since in "real" life, I can't remember people's names to save my life.

GO

hyhuu

Jun 20, 2003, 3:24 PM
Post #6 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just curious, does anyone of you have done a FA before (outdoor, of course)?

Partner cracklover

Jun 20, 2003, 3:31 PM
Post #7 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yup.

GO

edge

Jun 20, 2003, 3:41 PM
Post #8 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that naming indoor routes can make them more fun and interesting. At my gym, about half of the routes are named; those are usually the better routes that someone has put time and effort into setting. Plus, unlike outdoor routes, the names can be considerably more "off-the-wall", as they are not permanent.

And yes, I have named several outdoor routes I have FA.

reborne

Jun 20, 2003, 3:58 PM
Post #9 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The thing about gyms that is both a plus and a minus in my mind is the impermanence of routes/problems you have x amount of time to do it and then its gone which can sometimes be a big motivating factor as opposed to well ill get there eventually ... the suck part about that is you cant look at it when your old and febil and remember the day that you had what it took ... as far as nameing i ussually name my current projects at the gym myself and the names are usually the same "that pain in my...", "that/this piece of sh..." and the like, and its alway fun to point out the the name of a problem when it tells the betta "the bar exam" sticks out in my mind and that was like 9 months ago ... in case you missed it it required a knee bar ....as far as FA's if i do a line outside that i dont know the name of or if its established its only known to whoever was there that day

pico23

Jun 20, 2003, 4:50 PM
Post #10 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yep.

thor

Jun 20, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #11 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a route setter and boulderer who got my start in the gym, I've found that the whole world of Gym climbing is made much more enjoyable if routes have names. It is also very important to me that I name my routes after pouring several hours and alot of heart into a high quality route. If one were just slapping holds on a wall it probably wouldn't deserve a name, but a high quality route definately deserves a name.

Partner tyify

Jun 20, 2003, 5:27 PM
Post #12 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also find it easier to say...Oh I've already climbed "Inflatable Fun" istead of the orange route close to the desk..My gym cycles their routes instead of replacing them at all the same time so I can know which one I have and havn't climbed..

cbeltrano

Jun 20, 2003, 6:06 PM
Post #13 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym i go to names all of their routes, but for the most part they don't make any sense (of course i suppose they don't have to ).

I guess naming the routes has always been the owners dirty secret because every time i question him about why routes are named what they're named he just says "ohhh naming the routes is my favorite part of the job" and walks away.

But i don't think it makes any difference mostly people just call a route "The 5.x over there"

fredbob

Jun 20, 2003, 6:08 PM
Post #14 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the gym where I climb, many of the lead routes are named. Some of the names are quite amusing. Still, I don't really remember any of the names and still seem to refer to them as the "yellow 11a on the wall to the left of the right side of the arch...."

I'm not sure many other people in the gym refer to the names either. Maybe this is because the routes are so ephemeral -- here today gone in a month or two. Or maybe I have enough trouble remembering the names of real routes anymore... Maybe it is Alzheimer's setting in.....

In reply to:

I think so.

What were we talking about?

pinkamy

Jun 20, 2003, 6:36 PM
Post #15 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go ahead and name them is what I say. It's a lot easier for description purposes and spices things up a bit. :wink:

bandycoot

Jun 20, 2003, 6:52 PM
Post #16 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey hyhuu, I volunteered at a gym for years and all the routes were named. I can't think of a single reason NOT to name them. There are only so many colors of tape... You imply that one must name a route outdoors before naming a route indoors. Why? Justify your self instead of whinning and asking stupid non thought out questions that are obviously an attack on gym climbing. And if you're going to gym climb then whine about it, why do it in the first place?

robmcc

Jun 20, 2003, 7:16 PM
Post #17 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure, name them. I don't like having to say "Let's go climb the one in the middle of that face. No, by the corner. Not that corner, the other corner. No, the face to the left of it, not the right." I wouldn't want to have to come up with the names all the time, but I wouldn't mind not having to identify them by descriptions.

reiguy

Jun 20, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #18 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you should name your body parts but not gym climbs. There is an old skool ettiquete about naming and you wouldn't want to piss anyone off. I did name my chalk bag (or is that CALK bag-- that cod piece is funny if you know what I am talking about). It is a sickle bag with a chick that looks like betty paige on it so I named it betty. She keeps me company when I boulder alone.

melonhead

Jun 20, 2003, 7:24 PM
Post #19 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As for naming gym routes

Can you say...."Gay"?

How about..."Stupid"?

Anyone out there agree that it's a ...."waste of time"?

Go outside, do a first ascent, and name that.

fullahsiffur

Jun 20, 2003, 8:27 PM
Post #20 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On Melon's positive note, sometimes we can't just jump up and go climbing outside and maybe squeeze in a quick FA while we're at it. There are those times when the gym is the only option.

By the way, I've seen some strange names in my time.
Here are some good examples: Hot Brown cloud, But...Crack?, and Hang em' High.

Have any of you seen some pretty weird names?

melekzek

Jun 20, 2003, 9:14 PM
Post #21 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Let's go climb the one in the middle of that face. No, by the corner. Not that corner, the other corner. No, the face to the left of it, not the right."

lol, thats a good one ;-)

vtposer

Jun 20, 2003, 9:39 PM
Post #22 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing in the gym is like masturbation. Can be fun but its nothing like the real thing.

grigriese

Jun 20, 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #23 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I think so.

What were we talking about?

Do a little research and you could probably answer the question for youself.

http://www.amazon.com/.../103-5769800-7295055 Sorry to expose you, fredbob - I don't know you but this book is one of the most dog eared ones we have in my house!

loinclothman

Jun 20, 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #24 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first got my chalk bag I climbed all over my fellow hallmates' (who were also climbing buddies) rooms. I set up one particular route across Nathan's desk (including his laptop) which I named "Nathan likes the cock." As I remember that route took a LOT of chalk. So yeah, I name everything I F.A. like statues and signs, and pets, and other people's girlfriends.

bandycoot

Jun 20, 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #25 of 35 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First ascents and naming routes eh?

How bout these? It's not indoors, but the routes are named.

http://www.geocities.com/s1nelson2000/buildering.html

I helped "develop" UCSD to some extent. This is my friend's web site. Me and a few of my climbing partners are in the pictures. Some may think it's "lame", but DAMN is it fun and I don't give a Fuck what you think... :lol: I'm sure those people who name routes in gyms are also having fun, (I know I did when I did it) unlike you judgemental bastards who are bitter and have to attack what others do...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook