RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

markanite

Jul 7, 2003, 3:35 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1754 views)
Shortcut

What do I need for Reimers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Going to Reimers Ranch this weekend.

From my understanding most of the climbing there is lead climbing. Is this correct and if so how many quickdraws do you suggest I purchase (up to now I have only bought equip. for TRing).

Also, is there any TRing?

Mark

rodeomountain

Jul 7, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Re: What do I need for Reimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

8 - 10 draws should do you.

You could TR pretty much any route out there but it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. You could lean over the top and clip most of the anchors if you wanted to.

cjcalls

Jul 7, 2003, 4:10 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IF your are going to climb at Reimers, please make sure the your are capable of using all of this new equipment your are going to buy.
Reimers is a tough carryout.

timstich

Jul 7, 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the climbs at Reimer's are not suitable for toproping as you would need to lean way over the top edge to access the anchors. That said a few climbs do not require this. Dead Cats is one such climb. Go to www.texasclimbers.com and download the topos to see what wall this is on. But really, you can probably hop on a toprope or get someone to put your rope up for you. Like the other person suggested, get some instruction before you head out. If you are teaching yourself, read those books throughly and talk the concepts over with your partners. And don't be bashful about asking advice at the crag. Hell if this f*cking rain ever stops I'll head out there, too.

zacrobinson

Jul 7, 2003, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah 8-10 would be plenty. Also make sure you have enought slings-locking biners and other misc. stuff that comes in handy for lead climbing. Setting up at TR anchor etc.

That said have fun and be safe.

timstich

Jul 7, 2003, 4:26 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
IF your are going to climb at Reimers, please make sure the your are capable of using all of this new equipment your are going to buy.

It is. It took my friends and I 20 minutes just to help a guy with a sprained ankle hobble up to the parking lot. He was a big guy. Why can't you skinny guys be the ones that get hurt? Every accident I've ever assisted on involved either six foot amazon women or 250 lb. giants. Jesus.

cjcalls

Jul 7, 2003, 8:17 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

It is. It took my friends and I 20 minutes just to help a guy with a sprained ankle hobble up to the parking lot. He was a big guy. Why can't you skinny guys be the ones that get hurt? Every accident I've ever assisted on involved either six foot amazon women or 250 lb. giants. Jesus.

Tim, its because all of us skinny guys are careful not to get hurt.
skin and bones doesn't give much cushion.

by the way, we need to meet one day.

styndall

Jul 7, 2003, 8:53 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

werd

A couple of weeks ago at Rocktown, some guy was rope-soloing something, took a 30-footer when his shunt failed, and powdered his ankle. He wasn't real big, but my friend (6'2" 150) and I (6'1" 135) had to carry him out. The seated carry failed, as we were too pumped, and we ended up trading off piggy-backing him out.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook