RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

Partner polarwid

Jan 19, 2002, 1:05 AM
Post #1 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Public invited to comment on mountaineering proposals...Plea
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

...Excerpted from ANCHORAGE DAILY NEWS, Fri Jan 18,2002...

Managers of Denali National Park and Preserve are rewriting the park's backcountry management plan. When completed, the plan will have a significant effect on snowmachiners, air taxi operators, mountaineers and other backcountry visitors to the 6-million-acre park.
The mountaineering proposals now in a draft of the plan will be the subject of an all-day workshop Saturday at the NPS regional headquarters in Anchorage. Park officials invite the public to attend and comment on the proposals.
The park has gotten more than 1,600 comments on ideas like an ANNUAL CAP TO THE NUMBER OF CLIMBERS ON DENALI said Denali South District Ranger Daryl Miller.
People can give their opinions of the proposals until the draft is completed later this year and for some time afterwards.
Eventually the plan's alternatives for action will be finalized and the document will be submitted to NPS authorities, who will choose one alternative. Call 907-257-2562 for more information...

Partner polarwid

Jan 19, 2002, 3:07 AM
Post #2 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Public invited to comment on mountaineering proposals...Plea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Feel free to comment on this post or PM me. I will ensure that a LARGE component of climbers in the WORLD's voices are heard at NPS headquarters here in Alaska. Please reply either positive or negative...I will make sure that ALL of your comments are heard. Thanks.

DOUG

[ This Message was edited by: polarwid on 2002-01-18 19:09 ]

Partner polarwid

Jan 21, 2002, 3:25 AM
Post #3 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NO concerns? I will let them know that!!

climbchick

Jan 21, 2002, 3:41 AM
Post #4 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you mean -- has no-one responded? Maybe this should be in the Alpine forum. Did you get the PM I sent -- I'm starting to wonder if the PM system is working properly. I'm concerned!!

[ This Message was edited by: climbchick on 2002-01-20 19:42 ]

Partner polarwid

Jan 22, 2002, 5:33 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not that many look in the Alpine forum and this is an access issue one way or the other...I have only recieved two PMs and stu's reply. I will post the proposals as I learn of them...I think our voices should be heard even if this has no effect on yourself. This is a NATIONAL PARK ACCESS ISSUE and we can maybe make a difference.

darkside

Jan 22, 2002, 6:40 AM
Post #6 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have a link to a site that will give more comprehensive background info and also a final date you want to receive comments.

Partner polarwid

Jan 22, 2002, 6:41 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately...
The Bureau of Indian Affairs has effectively shut down the DEPT. of the INTERIORS website so there is no link at this time. I talked to Ranger Miller and was told that when the site comes back up, there will be regular updates to the proposals. He did tell me that I could personally let him know what input I have from my WORLDWIDE base of opinions, though. I am computer illiterate so if someone knows how to link stuff it is NPS.GOV/DENA...and then go to IN-DEPTH and then go to LINKS, PLANNING and then to BACK-COUNTRY.

You may also call at the phone number provided...907-257-2562 and express your concerns. The proposals will not be submitted until MAY 02 and a 60 day public forum and comments period will come after that to express concerns. GET THE WORD OUT!

Thanks
DOUG

[ This Message was edited by: polarwid on 2002-01-22 11:10 ]

Partner polarwid

Jan 26, 2002, 3:43 AM
Post #8 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

talons05

Jan 26, 2002, 4:20 AM
Post #9 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think it would be good at all to have any kind of numerical limit on climbing. I also, however, would hate to see the air service terminated - I do not see it as detrimental to the natural state of the park, which should be the first concern.

AW

jmlangford

Jan 26, 2002, 5:44 AM
Post #10 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you make Denali a no-fly area, you wouldn't have to worry about limiting numbers! Without the flight in to the glacier base camp,it seems to me that 98% of all climbers would be eliminated.On the other hand, I hate to see drastic action such as no-fly and quota's taken without some REAL detailed studies on whether or not that action would actually improve the park.

mountainrat

Jan 26, 2002, 3:52 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is the issue "Fly & Rescue- To Be or Not To Be?" If so, I am in favor of a no-fly zone, being a purist to the core. I think making it a no-fly would possibly eliminate a significant portion of necessary rescues.

jmlangford

Jan 27, 2002, 3:02 AM
Post #12 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mountainrat makes a good point. By eliminating flying-you would weed out the wannabes and thereby drastically reduce the folks needing to be rescued. On the other hand, I think humans' well-being should carry at least equal weight when evaluating environmental issues. By banning flying, a huge amount of people in the Talkeetna area would undoubdtedly be severely impacted. Look at me, for one that prides himself on strong convictions, I'm riding both sides of the fence on this one. So if I have to stay on one side or the other, I would have to vote for keeping flying. Maybe the NPS can review applications more thoroughly to weed out people who shouldn't be on the mtn.

daggerx

Jan 27, 2002, 4:03 AM
Post #13 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just my suggestion

I feel the right to fly in should not be complety taken away. Just limit it quite abit. Only offer fly in for climbers no one else. Only let so many get flown in each year at certin times of the year. For any that wants flown to get to Denili put information in wraffler once or twice a year and let some many go that way.

I also feel to a real climber it would not matter if they have to walk if they really want it there is nothing that can hold them back.

Partner polarwid

Jan 27, 2002, 6:10 AM
Post #14 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep it coming... I see some ideas taking shape here...

vicum

Jan 28, 2002, 6:56 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really know much about this but, how many people get flown in each year? What I'm thinking is, that if the number is very large and you eliminate those people from coming to the park, you could really hurt the economy up there. We would end up putting a lot of pilots and outfitters out of business, not to mention the people who would be secondarily affected. Unless the flights and numbers of climbers are really hurting the park, I think they should continue. Just MHO though. ~Arnold

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook