RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

triptothesun

Jul 8, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #1 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Very depressed and dissapointed :_(
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just want to receive some advice from the people here....

I joined climbing about 5 months ago, i love it, i'm dying to just do climbing and forget about everything else... i've been climbing so hard, that now i can do 5.12a (dunno how) but i train every day just because i love it.

In the last month a guy who is very good climbing told me and a group of friends that he wanted to do a climbing team for competition and that he wanted to train us all as a team to compete, obviously i said yes that i wanted to and we started training.

There were a lot of us and the trainer decided that he needed to choose from the pople that was training so he can make the team better and have only the ones that he though were going to be the best, so he was gonna pick from us.

Then the bouldering competition came and it was very cool, but i sucked! i finished all the 4 routes but on the first one i got disqualified because of touching a part of the route that i wasnt' supposed to touch, then i didn't make it to the final :(

The next day, the couch decided between us the ones that were going to stay in the team and that he was going to train to make them the best climbers and he decided to drop me because i didn't make it to the final... i 'm very dissapointed...

The thing is that the climbiung here is not very big, there are not a lot of climbers and the team was really important, but now they are going to train and leave us (the non - selected ones) out and we wont be able to use the gym when they are training, which happens to be at the same times that i can climb :( I left school for this term just to be part of the time and give all of myself to keep training...

Now, i don't even wanna train anymore! i feel so bad, and i don't know why, it was just a team, whatever, but i really wanted to be inther, all my friends are there and i cannot climb with them anymore because they will be training so the social part of the climbing died now, and i loved climbing because of my friends now i wont even be with them... i don't know... i'm too depressed that i think i will just quit the first thing that i ever really liked...

But i don't want to!!! i'm just too depressed, maybe i'm just being stupid, i don't know....

micahmcguire

Jul 8, 2003, 4:24 AM
Post #2 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Re: Very depressed and dissapointed :_( [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bummer man. competitions suck ass as far as I'm concerned. I didn't start climbing to compete. In fact, that's why I wound up abandoning sports like soccer, hockey, baseball, etc.
In the world of competitive sports, someone is always better than you. That's why I like climbing, its you vs you. You can't lose!

moabbeth

Jul 8, 2003, 4:44 AM
Post #3 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear. Is there any way you can ditch the gym and climb outside? That would be the best cure. Don't stop doing what you love just cause one guy rejected you for a comp team. If you do then he wins and you lose what you love. Keep climbing and enjoying it. That's the problem with gyms and competitions...it makes a sport that's essentially you vs. the rock into you vs. other climbers and the rock....errr..slimy plastic holds, and sometimes that competitive level can zap the pure fun and joy of climbing. I like climbing cause it's all about what I can do and how far I can push myself, and most importantly about having FUN!

Get outdoors, use those technical skills that you've worked so hard for and get on real rock. Leave the others to rot inside a stinky gym with slimy plastic holds while you're cruising up multipitch routes in the great outdoors with the sun shining and the good vibes of outdoor cragging buddies to light the way. You obviously love climbing, don't let a disappointment like this keep you from climbing...just take this energy and redirect it towards pushing yourself to a new level and new style of climbing. You might find yourself in a much happier place in the long run. At least that's my humble 2 cents. Good luck.

timstich

Jul 8, 2003, 4:50 AM
Post #4 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry to hear. Is there any way you can ditch the gym and climb outside? That would be the best cure. Don't stop doing what you love just cause one guy rejected you for a comp team...

Sh*t yes! I'm with Beth on that one 110%. I can't believe some of the things I see today with new kids who are climbing hard in the gym. Pretty soon people start talking about joining comps and the lot. Not one mention of other choices. It's almost sickening. F*ck, it IS sickening.

There's a whole big world of climbing out there, bro. As the Aussies say in diving, f*ck that noise!

criscokid

Jul 8, 2003, 5:21 AM
Post #5 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude...if you've already quit school and everything...go "bum" and tour! the comps can be fun but they are not what this sport is all about. so what if you can't crank a comp problem. big deal...it won't even exist in a week or so! get outside and discover why this sport is so rad! sample every style that climbing has to offer (trad, sport, bouldering, big wall)shoot...even try ice! after a while of having the time of your life, actually climbing...comps will become the big "so what?" and then this issuse won't even matter!
p.s. way to go on getting so amped!!! i wish i could find partners who were so motivated! WHERE ARE ALL OF YOU?!

tonyeatworld

Jul 8, 2003, 5:42 AM
Post #6 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry to hear you didn't make the team, but could some one explain to me how these competitions work? As much as my friends have explained them to me I still do not really understand "climbing competitions" While it is fun to watch other people climb and I think it is great that people can win some shwag, it just seems odd to me that people compete against each other in climbing. I always assumed that the competition was held among all the people spraying on rc.com about how they just started climbing 2 days ago and have already climbed a 5.14 at their local gym. Personally whenever I go out in to the outdoors there is only one competition and it is between me and mother nature. Every time I come back alive its a victory, but if I die she wins. So far I have a pretty long winning streak. Also just curious what kind of climbing are the comps usually based on and how do they score it? I am just baffled.

jefffski

Jul 8, 2003, 5:55 AM
Post #7 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

really sorry to hear about your situation. i would have found a way to keep someone as motivated as you!

i found this little site for you re climbing outdoors in costa rica. check it out.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=2629

anybody else know of some climbers in cr?

rubinsidhu

Jul 8, 2003, 6:29 AM
Post #8 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bummer! am sorry about how you feel. maybe you should take another look at climbing and what it means to some of the best out there and what it can mean to you.
here's how i feel personally, don't mean to offend any comp climbers etc.
i feel indoor climbers are missing out on the whole point. part of the fun is being outdoors, being in touch with nature, hopefully away from maddening crowds and the din and chaos of your everyday city life. its just you and a bunch of your close buddies trying to have fun on the rock(or ice or whatever). there is no competition, no pressure, no set goals you need to achieve. you are not supposed to be graded on your climbing. agreed, you are trying to get up some route, but if you don't, hey! big deal! you had a blast trying. as long as you have a story to tell at the end of the day over a couple of cold ones, its all good. i've had more fun on some classic 5.7s and 8s than on 11s and 12s. numbers mean only so much. some of the legendary climbers before the 60s and 70s never got up anything harder than a 5.10 you know! its all about the kind of mindset you approach the activity with.
competitions take away a lot from the true spirit of climbing. people tend to loose sight of what they are doing - and why they are doing it. remember how it used to be fun before you started setting goals for yourself, standards to achieve, a reputation you want to establish and then live upto, how you want to redpoint a 13 by the end of the year and then you want everybody to know that you did it. take a step back and do some introspection. ask yourself what it really means to you. if its really making you that unhappy - maybe you need to re-examine your relationship with the sport.

PS: maybe someone should write a book like "Zen and the art of rock-climbing", or is there one out there???
:-)

fearless1

Jul 8, 2003, 10:33 AM
Post #9 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the above. I just got back from the Gunks and there is nothing in the world like sitting on top of a belay ledge on a multi pitch route looking over the world. You will never find anything like that in a gym with all the hold marked for you. Head outdoors, stop trying to be the best indoor climber there ever was, enjoy the scenery, and be ultimately glad that you didn't get picked for the competition because now you are free to go wherever . I agree with Rubinsidhu about the Zen book, I've read the other, I'd read that one too :)

fishypete

Jul 8, 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grow up!

If every goal you ever wanted to achieve was easy and attainable on the first attempt, you would just be bored and move on to something else.

You have only been at this a short time, experience will improve your technique (outside climbing will help there too!) and then you will be in a better position next time the selection comes around.

They can't say no if you are outclimbing the other members of the team.

Settle down, do the work, get it next time, then savour the success that comes from working hard toward a long-term goal.

You can do it!

Fishy.

notintoclimbing

Jul 8, 2003, 12:36 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is always a reason for why things go the way they go. Sometimes we don't know til much later on why something went wrong from our point of view at the time. If someone else's judgment of you makes you go downhill way too fast and you feel depressed and unloved, then you are relying too much on other people's judgment of you. Continue being glad about your abilities and consider how well you are learning if you have only been with this sport for five months. Everybody faces rejection at some time in their life. It hurts but you can't let it rule ya! Hang with someone who appreciates you for who and what you are, not for how many competitions you have won or lost. The old saying, when God closes a door, He opens a window, might apply for you now.

jonoj

Jul 8, 2003, 1:35 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, don't stress about it. Climbing isn't about winning, or even qualifying for competitions - if you do it's just a bonus. ( haha, Yes you guessed, I've never been selected for a compo either, but hey I climb for myself and not for a trophy)

..... and 'nother thing - you've only been climbing for five months, still got plenty of time to make it big in the comp world if that's where your heart lies. Just by the way - how the *^$#@ are you climbing 5.12's after five months - that brilliant going, bro'!!!

Keep you chin up, your shoes on, and train like a mutha%#&@er!!

texasclimber

Jul 8, 2003, 1:36 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Everybody faces rejection at some time in their life.

Aint that the truth! Cheer up about the team crap. You are right, it is JUST a team. I know, all your friends are on it; but if you can't still be friends with them b/c they are training, then they weren't really your friends in the first place. I would say to keep climbing and pushing yourself and I'm sure that if you show the coach that you climb hard, he would let you on the team maybe as, at least, an alternate. Good Luck.

baza_arrampicare

Jul 10, 2003, 12:19 AM
Post #14 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. Seriously, that sucks...I'd know, soemthing similar happened to me. All you can do is sit back for a couple of minutes, listen to some kick ass music, then get off your a$$ and get climbing. Screw 'em. Climbing isn't really a "team" sport, and climbing competitions are one of the more stupid ideas I've heard off or been involved in.
Any how, if it's still important to you to be on the team, you can try what i tried: Train. Find a schedule that works for you, and train. HARD. Get good. get better. Set goals for yourself, even find a partner. Then enter a competition away from where your at, see how you do and get to know the ropes a little better, and then compete in the next competition in your area. Hopefully you'll show your ex coach that you're a damn good climber and would be an asset to the team. Now, if it was me, I would continue individually and completely ignore the sonovabitch.
GOODLUCK!!! :D
-K

xanx

Jul 10, 2003, 12:54 AM
Post #15 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ask the team leader guy if he wouldn't mind letting u use the gym while they practiced b/c u r really motivated and want to climb and that is the only time u can climb.

if he says no, the i would suggest a number of things u could do to him, but i think they are all illegal....

seriously, if he won't let u climb while they train, he isn't a real climber. even if he were the strongest guy in the world, i would say he is less of a climber than u if he won't let u climb while they train. so screw him!

what are the police in costa rica like? BUILDER!

yeah and get on some real rock....

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook