Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Chipping - What to do if I catch the no-talent scum?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

boretribe

Jan 20, 2002, 7:45 AM
Post #1 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Chipping - What to do if I catch the no-talent scum?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I regularly boulder at Stoney Point and there has been an increase in chipping lately. There is not much more frustrating than working a problem for several weeks then showing up convinced you figured out the magic footwork sequence while asleep only to find some idiot has made the crux you have been agonizing over a whole lot bigger. Kowing that I wouldn't have the stisfaction of sending the problem if I used this 'hold', it took me another month to send bypassing this defaced section. Besides the selfish aspect of my problem being altered the chippers are destroying a beautiful rock. Every time I go out there I keep an eye out for these no-talent bastards.

My question is what should I do if I actually catch them in the act?

dontneedfeet

Jan 20, 2002, 9:00 AM
Post #2 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Chipping - What to do if I catch the no-talent scum? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoot, then eat them.

I don't think you have a great ending on this topic. People feel one way or the other, and they rarely switch sides. I'd confront them on it, but know beforehand they probably won't change their behavior, so don't go too far with the lecuture. Just don't shoot or eat them.

daggerx

Jan 20, 2002, 2:21 PM
Post #3 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cought a g cippingon time.When he got down to see what I was yellig about I took histoos nd put them in m bag. Heshove me and then tryd to punch me, so I went off on him " beat him with in a inch of his lfe" The turned him and his tools into th park.

rck_climber

Jan 20, 2002, 5:00 PM
Post #4 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found a nice yellow tri-cam to the base of the skull works nicely to influence chippers to see your point of view rather clearly.

Mick

euphoricclimbing

Jan 20, 2002, 5:10 PM
Post #5 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not personally caught anybody chipping, but you will read about it if I do. Nobody has the right to alter the rock for their own personal use. Beware chippers, because I will be looking for your sorry asses!

sonofspork

Jan 20, 2002, 5:15 PM
Post #6 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why are you people so violent??? Sure...chipping is very bad, but why would you hurt them over it???

-sONofSpORk

[ This Message was edited by: sonofspork on 2002-01-20 10:14 ]

talons05

Jan 20, 2002, 6:09 PM
Post #7 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the most responsible and correct reaction to this situation would be to get the persons name and information and turn them into the park where it is happening. If it happens outside a park, like, say, in a national forest, etc., then contact the nearest park service and they can help you.

Don't take the law into your own hands. Chipping is defacing of public or private property, and therefore it is illegal. For this reason, you should first turn to the local authorities.

AW

tangboy

Jan 20, 2002, 9:40 PM
Post #8 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

honestly i don't think that the park can legally do anything. i was reading an article on that same topic, on here or in "rock and ice" and it said that as long as they're not cutting down the trees there isn't a rule thats says anything of chipping. i personally would just talk REAL loud at how stupid a wussy like it is to chip because you're not man/woman enough to send a natural problem. i mean are you going to rewrite a test in college just to get an answer you want to pass? i mean come on... GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!
tang

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 20, 2002, 9:54 PM
Post #9 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Explain that it takes lots of $$$ from the Access Fund and other climbers' advocacey groups to undo the damage done by "selfcentered idiots" like them.

Then in all honesty... If you can take em, beat them down !!!

rrrADAM

woodse

Jan 21, 2002, 12:27 AM
Post #10 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I'd buddy up with the guy play it real cool and then let him rap off a nice 70 foot rock with one end of the rope about 40 feet off the deck, promising him the whole time that both ends are down!!

woodsE

maxx

Jan 21, 2002, 2:00 AM
Post #11 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found rrradam's reply to be the most humorous yet...

beyond_gravity

Jan 21, 2002, 2:15 AM
Post #12 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you mean people really do chip? dude, thats not cool. I suggest that you find there car, then chip a route onto there car.

greatgarbanzo

Jan 21, 2002, 2:32 AM
Post #13 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FINALLY I found a beyond_gravity post to which I AGREE COMPLETELY...

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Jan 21, 2002, 7:33 AM
Post #14 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"How to argue and win everytime" It's a great book that I highly recommend. What do you want here? To stop people from chipping. I promise you that slashing cars and making physical threats won't work. Although, it will feel really good!

Actually, I think we have a bad problem of blatant ignorance. I bet that half the people who have every chipped simply didn't understand why it was so bad. In fact, when I first read about it when I started climbing years ago, I didn't completely understand what the fuss was about either. Yea, I wouldn't have ever done it because it's common sense to leave nature the way I found it, but especially beginners just don't know why it's so bad.

If you really want to stop chipping, then you have to educate people. Explain to them in a very convincing manner why it is so bad to chip will get you way more results. Instead of hating you and chipping more routes out of spite, they will tell all their jack ass friends to stop too (don't idiots usually group together?). It's all about the results.

Now if they know better (advanced climbers) and you suspect they have done it before, then contacting authorities may be your only alternative. Say that chipping is illegal and that you are going to contact the officials. If anything it will scare them a little, even if it's not technically illegal.

jds100

Jan 21, 2002, 7:23 PM
Post #15 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could consider publishing their names or licence number, or otherwise publicizing the incident at local gear shops, a park kiosk, a magazine, etc. Just be sure that you've got the facts (i.e. names, license number, description of person, description of car, etc.) correct. Hopefully public and peer pressure would help dissuade such selfish and destructive behavior.

addiroids

Jan 21, 2002, 7:38 PM
Post #16 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With using as much physical force as necessary I would do the following:

1) Anchor them naked about 4 feet off the ground.

2) Grab a #1 or #2 or 5 if it will fit cam, clip some slings to it, and contract the cams and stick high into their rectum.

3) Allow the cams to open up, ste into the sling, grab their shoulders for balance, and

BOUNCE TEST THE MUTHA f---A UNTIL THE PLACEMENT BLOWS!!!!

Now depending on how large their pelvic brim is, if you use a #5, you may end up ripping their pelvis off their spinal column. If that is the case, get the shovel, and bury the evidence.

Or you could just crucify him with his own drill.

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

jumaringjeff

Jan 21, 2002, 9:04 PM
Post #17 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell us how you REALLY feel addiroids.

Happy jumaring,
jj

[ This Message was edited by: jumaringjeff on 2002-01-21 13:04 ]

zlipper

Jan 21, 2002, 9:11 PM
Post #18 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh ive had an experiance where i cought a chipper in the act. when the guy came down i asked him what he thought he was doing and said the dumbest thing. "i cant hold on to that jug so i made it bigger and deeper" it pissed me off so much. i reported him though and i think he got a rather nice fine. so the best thing to do i think is report them and theyll pay

-Lars-

boretribe

Jan 22, 2002, 7:31 AM
Post #19 of 19 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the advice. Although dontneedfeet's shoot, then eat them has a nice ring to it I don't think my vegetarian stomach would do too well on chipper meat. In fact all the violent revenge tactics, I must admit, have an appealing quality. It's just that I have a feeling they don't take kindly to climbing walls in prison. Maybe I'm just getting too old but I'll opt for a more peacefull approach.
I've started to cary a camera and hopefully can catch them in the act on film. Then try and reason with them, maybe even 'encourage a little contribution' for The Access Fund (good angle rrradam). If the talk doesn't work then I have their picture to plaster all over the place.

Unfortunately threatening to turn them over to the authorities won't work; Stoney is a mecca for broken bottles and graffiti (some of the routes are actually named after the graffiti on the rock) and the authorities don't seem to give a s--- about it. It makes it kind of hard to convince some idiot with a hammer that chipping off a little of the rock is wrong as we are standing 50' below a 20' blue bat spray painted on the rock. But I have the gods on my side, right?

Thanks again for the advise.

[ This Message was edited by: boretribe on 2002-01-21 23:33 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook