Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wonderwoman

Jul 12, 2003, 2:47 AM
Post #1 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Hair care for the wild woman
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ladies, please share your beauty tips!

I just spent the dirtiest week of my life on a climbing trip, washing my hair in a river with Dr. Brommers soap. My hair did not enjoy the experience.

I have short, unnaturally blonde (to hide the premature gray) hair and I put tons of hair products in it when I am not climbing. It's too short to pull back at all, and was all matted and yucky by the end of the week.

So, aside from sucking it up and wearing a bandana all week long, do any of you women have hair tips for when you are out in the wild away from running water. When it comes down to it, I don't mind the look. It's the feel of my hair that I really could not stand!

pemagetchel

Jul 12, 2003, 3:09 AM
Post #2 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hair care for the wild woman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cornstarch!!! Sprinkle it in, Brush and shake well. It will get all the oil out. Hmmm sounds more like a stir fry recipe. But I swear by it !!

katydid

Jul 12, 2003, 1:15 PM
Post #3 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can get no-water (dry) shampoo at a lot of larger pharmacies. Theoretically it's for people who, for some medical reason, can't hop into the shower, but it would work well for non-shower-available situations, too. :P

OR, you could just go to the store and buy some sort of shampoo sample and tuck it in your pack. :mrgreen:

Personally, I go for the baseball cap routine. Sun protection + hair hiding = survivable, although somewhat itchy. :roll:

(Dr. Bronner's in the hair -- that must have been one BAD experience ... but I'll bet you smelled nice and pepperminty! ;))

k.

Partner missedyno

Jul 12, 2003, 3:05 PM
Post #4 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i go for the bandana. then again i don't need to be away from running water to have unruly hair. i suspect it's trying to take over the world...

jaylaka

Jul 13, 2003, 12:44 AM
Post #5 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my hair's too short for ponytails too - so i usually end up wearing colorful bandanas rolled up to hold it off my face or barettes to keep it back.

i've been meaning to try this new product from aveda...it sounds like it gets the grease or build up (or scents like cigarette smoke after a night out) out of your hair...i wonder how it'd work for a week camping without a shower?

http://www.aveda.com/products/product.asp?ITEM=22636&DD=1&RN=10&SN=165&SCN=

jen

gretchino

Jul 14, 2003, 4:34 PM
Post #6 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's too short for ponytails, can you do partial pony's? You know, put the front back and have the back down (...starting to sound like a mullet). Use barettes, to pull back the sides....if it's long enough to put small braids in, you can do french braids on the top section and tie them off....
However, I live with my bandana. Its cute, keeps the sun off my head, moisture absorbant (ick, I know), and functional. :D

Partner missedyno

Jul 14, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #7 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

then again, i have naturally afro hair so it's dry.... other than the stuff that gets caught in it (sticks, small animals, dirt) it's a nice treat not to wash it for a week. not like i can *ever* run my hands through it anyway...

maculated

Jul 14, 2003, 5:14 PM
Post #8 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a bandana-and-pigtail-braids kind of girl. If I had cute short hair, though, I think I wouldn't worry about it. Cornstarch DOES work, though.

sroehlk

Jul 14, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #9 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have short hair and the bandana is my best friend. Usually start with using it as a headband and by the end it's covering the whole head (see no evil). Even when I DO get a chance to wash my hair, the second I lay my head on the pillow it just goes crazy - natural wave has something to do with that. Still it's nice to have crazy clean hair :D

Actually for me long hair was easier to deal with. I could just pull it back into a ponytail or braid if I didn't feel like dealing with it. What I wouldn't give for that some days...like today. Fell back asleep after taking my shower this morning and my hair started drying into odd formations and I had to wet it down and start all over. :roll:

wonderwoman

Jul 14, 2003, 6:48 PM
Post #10 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like a bandana and cornstarch might be my best bet. I have done barrets and the itty bitty pig tails on top of my head, but then the back of my hair still looks and feels all nasty. I also just got a helmet which won't fit if I put my hair up. So I guess a bandana it is!

mother_sheep

Jul 15, 2003, 4:39 PM
Post #11 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got this funky climbing style that takes about 3 minutes every morning. You can kinda see it in my profile shot. You just take your hair, twist it and then clip it. Then I usually dump water over my head just to calm down the stragglers. Warning tho, you look like Medusa when you wake up in the AM. i've got a lot of comments about it, mostly good and you don't see a lot of chicas w/hair like that.

winter

Jul 15, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #12 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the solid shampoo from lush, it travels really well and you hardly need any. Good luck!

allan_thomson

Jul 15, 2003, 11:17 PM
Post #13 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If it's too short for ponytails, can you do partial pony's? You know, put the front back and have the back down (...starting to sound like a mullet). Use barettes, to pull back the sides....if it's long enough to put small braids in, you can do french braids on the top section and tie them off....
:D

Or alternatively you could do like one of my Ex's, shave the back, and just have two plaits at the front.

Partner missedyno

Jul 16, 2003, 2:47 AM
Post #14 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I use the solid shampoo from lush, it travels really well and you hardly need any. Good luck!

crap, how could i have forgotten? my mom uses the solid shampoo bar from lush - i work close to the store so i pick it up for her. but how would it be environmentally? wouldn't use it near a river or lake or whatever....

allan_thomson

Jul 16, 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #15 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If a man can give advice, I used to have hair down to my a*s. What I used to do was fold it back on itself, until it was only about collar length, and tie it back. That was it stayed out of the way of everything. Also if I had time I'd get a girlfriend to plait it up, then fold it back on itself. As for washing it, well I didn't really bother on expedition, but I did wash it in rivers, using shampoo. If weights a consideration, try using just soap (or even detergent :wink: ).

One of my friends I believe, put coconut oil in her hair, and dreadlocked it, then spent some time in the jungle (can't remember how long she said it was), and then it just washed out when she got back to civilization.

gravitysucks

Jul 18, 2003, 1:24 AM
Post #16 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a bandana-and-pigtail-braids kind of girl. If I had cute short hair, though, I think I wouldn't worry about it. Cornstarch DOES work, though.

well...i'm a bandana-and-pigtail-braids kind of girl that has cute, short hair. go figure. i don't much worry about it until about Day 4ish (season dependant...see below).

it is usually on or near Day 5 that i have also fallen victim to Dr. Brommer's revenge.

fall/winter - easy. i always have a hat on. when i get home, i use the steam from my first shower to remove it.
spring/summer - i've used cornstarch, but prefer the bandana or twist my hair in the front and use some mini girly clippies (the glitter distracts them from the oil spill).

if (when :) ) i ever get to go on a real expedition, i would shave my head again and eat sardines with the guys in my expedition weight undies. until then, my silt filter is also my tourniquet is also my hot pad is also my washcloth is also my dirty hair disguiser.

:roll: :? :shock: :wink:

Partner calamity_chk

Jul 18, 2003, 3:38 PM
Post #17 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can get no-water (dry) shampoo at a lot of larger pharmacies.
OR, you could just go to the store and buy some sort of shampoo sample and tuck it in your pack.

/tree-huggin hippie chick steps in/

if you're in wilderness areas, especially if you're washing in rivers and streams, please try to limit yourself to 'green soap' -- biodegradeable soaps/shampoos -- so that you're not inadvertently polluting our land and waters.

as for hair care, i just keep my hair in a semi ponytail, and brush through it at nights and in the mornings. if it were shorter, i'd probably go for the bandana.

best,
amber

mreardon

Aug 12, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #18 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Corn starch and brushing works great for the extended trips. Also a bit of conditioner left in it will help ease the knots and dryness. If it's longer, definitely braids/pigtails, or do the Psuedobarbisamurai with a bun on top (keeps it out of the rappell). Unfortunately, it's gonna' get greasy/damaged, so keeping it in a hat or bandana is the best bet.

wonderwoman

Aug 12, 2003, 7:32 PM
Post #19 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those of you who wear barrettes - how do you wear a helmet? Or don't you?

I saw a locking biner whiz by my head not too long ago, so I am committed to 'helmet hair'.

turockgirl

Aug 13, 2003, 9:07 PM
Post #20 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have somewhat long hair (at and even past my bra strap), so I'll either throw mine in a ponytail or braid it...I've braided it before when it was wet and spent a week on a trek in the mountains of Colorado, and it STILL smelt like my Herbal Essences shampoo when I took them down! If its really bad I use a bandana or a baseball cap.

skinny

Aug 14, 2003, 7:25 PM
Post #21 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A previous post mentioned using biodegradeable soap if washing in the river. Sorry, but even bio-soap is not good to place in a river. Get a bucket or something to carry water and wash your hair 100 feet or more away from the water source.

queenkatherine

Aug 14, 2003, 9:41 PM
Post #22 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just recently cut all of my hair off. It was brushing the top of my hips. Now it sits just below my ears. I also do not recommend washing your hair in the river. But, washing it is a must. I prefer to wash my hair every other day to save on $ But, when the husband and I go for the long tracts I wont use conditioner at all. Even dish soap will clean the uck from your locks. I don't use that many products to bind my hair in place.
Hope this helped. 8)

nopro

Aug 19, 2003, 6:57 PM
Post #23 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAIR ALERT! As someone just briefly mentioned, make sure you keep long hair away from your belay device. While making a rushed multi-pitch rappel last year in Red Rocks, I got my pigtail braids stuck in my belay device numerous times, almost to the point where it was dangerous. The next day I looked at my belay device and it was wearing a toupee made of my hair. Moral of the story: Pigtails are cute but can be a pain in the @ss. Definitely keep them as far back as possible!

turockgirl

Aug 20, 2003, 2:51 PM
Post #24 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
HAIR ALERT! As someone just briefly mentioned, make sure you keep long hair away from your belay device. While making a rushed multi-pitch rappel last year in Red Rocks, I got my pigtail braids stuck in my belay device numerous times, almost to the point where it was dangerous. The next day I looked at my belay device and it was wearing a toupee made of my hair. Moral of the story: Pigtails are cute but can be a pain in the @ss. Definitely keep them as far back as possible!
Yeah...I learned my lesson in 6th grade when I got my hair caught up and tangled in a rope on a rope swing...and my hair was shoulder length! I hd the biggest headache, not to mention the huge nasty bump on my head...plus I almost had to cut my hair off!
I always make sure my hair isn't loosely dangling down...usually when its in a ponytail, I make it more bun-ish.

hydrojen

Aug 20, 2003, 10:50 PM
Post #25 of 26 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, here is another option. . . you could go for the dreads, which are quite low maintenance: (sorry, I know this is cheesy, but this is the only pic of my hair I have on my computer)

http://www.mines.edu/...jleisch/JEN_TURN.jpg

I have actually sucked a dread thru my gri-gri once or twice :shock:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook