RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

kansasclimber

Jul 15, 2003, 3:29 AM
Post #1 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Rope Managment on Multi-pitching
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

WHAT do you do with the rope exactly?? do you butterfly it over your leg? Put it one large loop? Any certain coil you would use, and where would you put the rope?? thanks
CLIMBON

kindredlion

Jul 15, 2003, 3:47 AM
Post #2 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rope Managment on Multi-pitching [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I assume the scenario is traditional free climbing, and there are two of you...

EVERYTHING IS SITUATIONAL

Did I say that!?!?
:roll:

'nyways...

Do what works for you...

Try and stay top to bottom.

here are some suggestions to supplement your already good ideas...

If you have more pitches to climb, and the second will be swapping leads, it is nice to butterfly your rope over your daisy (anchor tie-in point), or your knee, if its a hanging belay..

ever heard of a rope bucket? rope hook?

these devices can be used either in a hanging or a free sitting/moving environment..

The bucket is simply that; a bucket.. You stack/pile/flake your rope into it as your climber approaches you.. Once she gets there, she is already on the lead end of the rope... and there was much rejoicing :roll: yaay

The hook; hold on to your hats... Its a hook! Basically a piece of webbing (nylon sling) that is reinforced with a wire or metal band slipped into it and curved to hold a rope. (sound complicated.. its not.. )look here
'nyhoo, flake the rope into it just like you would a lap coil, and voila!

What if you're not hanging? well tha's easy... make a stack do whatever, pile the rope under yer boney butt, so's you don't chafe your delicate undersides ;) Ever sat on cold granite, while trying to stay warm?

The possibilities are many, and one must adapt to any surroundings..

So try everything.. read books... and mostly; don't EVER curse at your rope.

If you're nice I may share my "Bastard Loop" theory..

take air, (at a slow to medium pace)

adam

apollodorus

Jul 15, 2003, 4:15 AM
Post #3 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the belay is on a ledge, just butterfly flake the rope there, where you won't step on it.

When you butterfly the rope at a tiny stance or hanging belay, put a sling around it and clip both ends (don't use a girth hitch). That will help to hold the loops from moving; once one moves down a little bit, it will pull the other side and before you know it, the entire rope. You'll have to keep half an eye open, though, as you feed it out to make sure you don't pull out a big snarl of coils.

The best thing for walls are rope bags. For trad climbs, they're a bit too much to mess with, though.

pico23

Jul 15, 2003, 4:47 AM
Post #4 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Completely situational. It's been covered thoroughly.

The rope hook is kind of expensive and kind of pointless ofr a single rope managment. I use mine that I paid $2 for on clearance to dry my ropes. It could be useful in the right situations but it's another piece of gear to carry.

Typically I butterfly over the tie in on ledgless belays, crowded belays or just if I feel like it. I don't use a daisy, just another link in the system, just another piece of gear to carry. I just tie in to the rope with a clove and usually back that up with a overhand or 8 a few feet back. If there is a ledge I might and my partner is cranking I'll often just let the rope coil on the ground. If he's leading the next pitch off he goes. If I'm leading the next pitch a flippable coil is preferable so I try to make it neat. if the face is completely clean you can just let the rope hang but it's a bad habbit because it might get stuck or get in the way of other climbers.

climbsomething

Jul 15, 2003, 4:53 AM
Post #5 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the second time in less than a week that I've seen the adjective "multi-pitch" morphed into a verb tense. :roll: ...Yep, guess I'm "Grammar Naziing," hmm? :P

dingus

Jul 15, 2003, 5:04 AM
Post #6 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One piece of advice...

When you're looping that rope over your lap, or over your leg, or your tie in point, or though a runner extended off the anchor, or over the haul bag, or over a boulder, whatever... start with the longest loop to each side first, and then make each subsequent loop shorter than the one that preceded it. Like a pyramid of sorts, get it? Don't let em go so low they catch on something and get stuck either.

That way, when the 2nd comes up and the lead switches over and you continue your belay duties, as you draw the rope up to feed out, the loops feed smoothly. If you let the loops go too long, when you feed them back up they typically ride up under earlier loops. They can elicit curses if the resulting gordian knot surprises you by bumping into the belay device in the middle of a long runnout. That sucks for everyone involved!

DMT

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 15, 2003, 3:25 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do one of two things:

Primarily, I attach a shoulder length sling to the hot point of my anchor and butterfly it through there, starting in long loops getting progressively smaller. This way it will pull from there with ease, and I do not have to hold it.

Or I will butterfly it over my foot.

timstich

Jul 15, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
....If you let the loops go too long, when you feed them back up they typically ride up under earlier loops. They can elicit curses if the resulting gordian knot surprises you by bumping into the belay device in the middle of a long runnout. That sucks for everyone involved!

DMT

Above advice is effective at reducing the occurances of F-bombs as well. Although I can't show you what an f-bomb is here, you can probably figure it out. Rymes with "luck." Now if I could only remember to do that pyramid thing correctly...

tenn_dawg

Jul 15, 2003, 4:16 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually flake it over my foot as well. The problem is that if you have to move in a hurry, you can drop your whole rope stack down the face. No big deal if the face is clean, but if it isin't your rope WILL get hung up somewhere.

Therefore, if there is a good chance of my rope getting hung if I drop it, I'll flake it through a sling hanging from the anchor to about chest level on me.

As was said above, it is highly situational.

Travis

ambler

Jul 15, 2003, 4:45 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is the second time in less than a week that I've seen the adjective "multi-pitch" morphed into a verb tense. :roll: ...Yep, guess I'm "Grammar Naziing," hmm? :P
It's come farther than that. We have here not a verb tense but a gerund, which makes this an adjective (multi-pitch) morphed into a verb (to multipitch) morphed into a noun again (the complexity of multipitching). Language is dynamic, eh? 8)

flamer

Jul 15, 2003, 7:15 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic was discussed at lenght not long ago in the TRAD form, DO A SEARCH!
josh

dingus

Jul 15, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
josh

Most every thing under the sun in climbing has been discussed years ago on rec.climbing, ad nauseum. Sliced, diced and gone over with a fine toothed flame comb.

So what?

Certain topics will recycle. Nature of the beast I'm afraid. If that causes you annoyance and grief, TS.

DMT

flamer

Jul 15, 2003, 7:26 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
josh

Most every thing under the sun in climbing has been discussed years ago on rec.climbing, ad nauseum. Sliced, diced and gone over with a fine toothed flame comb.

So what?

Certain topics will recycle. Nature of the beast I'm afraid. If that causes you annoyance and grief, TS.

DMT

Agreed! However, a number of folks took the time to write some great response's, less than a month ago. I would guess that they don't want to take the time again. SO If The poster of this thread would like to see some of the great tips some people had- then doing a search would be beneficial! If you don't like my comments- TS.
josh

dingus

Jul 15, 2003, 7:45 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Agreed! However, a number of folks took the time to write some great response's, less than a month ago. I would guess that they don't want to take the time again. SO If The poster of this thread would like to see some of the great tips some people had- then doing a search would be beneficial! If you don't like my comments- TS.
josh

Great point Josh. If you don't like my compliment, TS. (insert appropriate smiley face here)

Cheers,
DMT

flamer

Jul 15, 2003, 8:40 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus,
In between the 2 of us TSing each other I'm laughing my ass off! Carry on!
josh

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook