RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

firn

Jul 16, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1172 views)
Shortcut

Training foot strength
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone have any advice on how to increase foot strength other than rock climbing?

I find that on long slab climbs it is usually the feet that are the most tired part of this climber. It would be nice to find some way the get them strong!

Thx

dingus

Jul 16, 2003, 4:09 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1172 views)
Shortcut

Re: Training foot strength [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anyone have any advice on how to increase foot strength other than rock climbing?

I find that on long slab climbs it is usually the feet that are the most tired part of this climber. It would be nice to find some way the get them strong!

Thx

Try weighted calf extensions at the gym. Use a lower weight and up the reps. I rotate my feet through 3 positions for sets of 3: straight toe, feet about 8 inches apart. The calves really get worked doing this. Then I also do pigeon toe position, which works the ankles and the muscles along the outside of the feet, then duck footed, which seems to work the inside.

I find that the combo of strong feet and calves is the key to inner peace, esp. for leading on unknown ground where you don't know the resting possibilities.

Hope this is helpful
DMT

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook