RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

jumaringjeff

Jan 22, 2002, 8:01 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4332 views)
Shortcut

flying with gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone. I'm planning on taking a climbing trip and I was wondering how you go about packing your rope/rack/etc. for a flight. I've got a nice large pack that it all fits in, but the material doesn't really offer a whole lot of protection. Can anyone share with me how you went about packing your gear for a flight? Thanks!!

Happy jumaring,
jj

rck_climber

Jan 22, 2002, 8:45 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4332 views)
Shortcut

flying with gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I carried most of my gear on - just have to be ready to answer some questions about what it all is.

But if I packed it all up, I'd wrap it all in t-shirts and towels to keep it from rattling around - both to minimize damage to the gear and to keep airline folks from getting freaked out (as if there was a bomb or something in it).

Just my thoughts though.

Mick

*Edit: If you do decide to take the bulk of it in your carry-on, a word to the wise: Be early and be patient, as the security folks will have a few questions for you. However they didn't give me any problems, just wanted to know what all that crap was .

[ This Message was edited by: rck_climber on 2002-01-22 13:06 ]

vaness

Jan 22, 2002, 8:58 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i would keep it on your carry on (coming from someone who has never been on a plane) so you wouldnt have to worry about it

fo_d

Jan 22, 2002, 10:51 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work for an airline but have only flown twice with my climbing gear, I was really worried about them losing my gear so I kept my shoes, harness and chalk bag in my carry-on, the rest of the gear I packed into smaller backpacks then put the backpack into a large duffle bag, I dont think they worry about things rattling but there is high vibrations in an aircraft and would probably be a good idea to wrap things well to prevent undo wear (i dont know how much if any wear can really be caused by this vibration). I think lost bags are almost a thing of the past with the new regulations about matching each bag to a passenger.

Les

pollux

Jan 22, 2002, 11:20 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My last job I traveled on a weekly basis. I wasn't into climbing then but it was less than a year ago and my baggage has been lost and mutulated many times. I once went 3 days without luggage. I wish i had the luxury of not checking my baggage in, but traveling for upto 2 weeks at a time that would be impossible. So a warning to all, if it is valuable and small enough to carry on, than carry it on. Clothes are inexpensive to replace when you compare it to the cost of gear.

rck_climber

Jan 22, 2002, 11:27 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One last suggestion:

Due to the the public's valid aversion to white, powdery substances (in light of all the anthrax hype), I'd not carry the chalk bag on w/ you. In fact, I'd seal it up in a ziploc real tight and put it in the checked baggage - protects your clothes from leaking chalk and the baggage guy doesn't get a heart attack when he sees white powder on your luggage.

Mick

rockjock04

Jan 22, 2002, 11:47 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it would be hillarious if someone took their chalk bag, closed it, and punched the sides so the chalk came out in little clouds even better would be to do it next to an air conditioning intake, and pretend to try not to look suspicious . then the security gaurds come up then you could inhale a big puff.(doesn't magnesium carbonate melt flesh )

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook