Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

energizerbunny

Jul 17, 2003, 8:53 PM
Post #76 of 168 (12359 views)
Shortcut

Re: what is wrong with climber dudes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a climber chick..and am addicted, but DO have a great job, husband, child and family! I love going out to climb on the weekends, but always make a vacation of it for everyone.

It's a good kind of addiction and I love being around the other climbers and sharing stories!!!

Plus..I have to have a job to afford all the cool gear!

Partner coldclimb

Jul 17, 2003, 10:05 PM
Post #77 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would love to abandon all else and go climbing, but I do hold God in front of climbing, so it's not my most important priority. After religion though, you'd be hard pressed to find anything that matters more than climbing. :D Maybe I'm selfish, maybe I'm wrong, but I love every second of it, and I always will.

allan_thomson

Jul 18, 2003, 8:35 PM
Post #78 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please tell me, anyone who hasn't a job, how on earth do you afford the gear?

a510poser

Jul 18, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #79 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Allen asked;

In reply to:
Please tell me, anyone who hasn't a job, how on earth do you afford the gear?

Pro deals and going to Lovers Leap on Monday after a busy weekend to scoop up all the fresh booty.
Stevi

froggy

Jul 19, 2003, 12:31 AM
Post #80 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a girl and I am addicted to climbing... It is my escape...
I love being on the rock and just have that as my main focus. People in my life get jealous of my 'relationship' with climbing, but it is for me and the people I share it with (my partners). I get bummed when I can't climb - Can't help it :oops:

gravitysucks

Jul 19, 2003, 1:26 AM
Post #81 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the trouble with a lot of guys from around here (OK), (climber dudes or not)...is that they're FROM AROUND HERE.

:roll: :? :shock: :wink:

blessard

Jul 19, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #82 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My problem with "climber dudes" is the F*$?ing EGOS!!!! Especially in here.....Damn! Judgemental, opionated Bastards they are! Of course that's probably because a lot of the good climbers are snotty nosed youngsters.....they're SUPPOSED to have huge Egos right? The REAL climbers are nothing like that...the Peter Crofts', Bob Gaines' and Randy Leavitts' of the work (yes, I've met them ...not 'cause I'm a great climber, just because) are nothing like the supposed "Hot Shots" (no, not all of you, just those few...) in here who quickly judge newbies and others who have fears, doubts and questions.

I got into climbing because I love nature and the mountains...not to get on some ego trip.

Out.

mortalmonkey

Jul 21, 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #83 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i havent realy seen very much judgmental freaks so far. am i too new? i dont know. i think people in here are great. there are a few bad apples but i havent found too many so far. climbers in general rock. i love the climbing community. i havent even been climbing for a year and i have noticed already how awsome almost all climbers are.

watersprite

Jul 21, 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #84 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mortalmonkey

Jul 22, 2003, 1:55 AM
Post #85 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i do what i can

Partner missedyno

Jul 22, 2003, 2:01 AM
Post #86 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i kind of understand what everyone is b*tching about with the "climber dudes attitudes" but i just happened to have scored an amazing man who climbs. he's as hooked on climbing as me and we're as hooked on each other as we could ever be.

just keep your standards high.

timstich

Jul 22, 2003, 3:33 AM
Post #87 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i kind of understand what everyone is b*tching about with the "climber dudes attitudes" but i just happened to have scored an amazing man who climbs. he's as hooked on climbing as me and we're as hooked on each other as we could ever be.

just keep your standards high.

That rawwwwks, crazy fawkes. Good on ya, then.

overlord

Jul 22, 2003, 6:40 AM
Post #88 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing isnt an addiction... its an addictive way of life.

neeterock

Jul 22, 2003, 1:24 PM
Post #89 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i havent realy seen very much judgmental freaks so far. am i too new? i dont know. i think people in here are great. there are a few bad apples but i havent found too many so far. climbers in general rock. i love the climbing community. i havent even been climbing for a year and i have noticed already how awsome almost all climbers are.

Couldn't agree more.

Shubs'

mortalmonkey

Jul 22, 2003, 3:07 PM
Post #90 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think we should burn this thread and whoever said that climbers are mean, judgmental, or bad. well we can do other things but as a pyromaniac i have my priorities. BURN BURN BURN!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

mcfoley

Jul 22, 2003, 6:24 PM
Post #91 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ARE YOU A CRACK ADDICT???
Do you climb alone...when no one is around...
Can you taste the mountain air when your thoughts turn to your last roadtrip...
Do you have nightmares of forgetting your climbing shoes in the car at the trailhead...
Do you lie to others about your climbing habits...
Do you climb every day...every weekend....
Do you finf that you have mood swings and get irritable when not climbing...
Dou you find that your boss is looking over your shoulder, while you post on rc.com...
...Dough!!!
...Busted!!!
...You are a CRACKHEAD!!!!

mortalmonkey

Jul 22, 2003, 8:19 PM
Post #92 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm. honestly, i am new to this but pretty much all the climbers i have met are kewl people. there was one stuborn piece of crap russian dude. but he was at the gym. and was weird. and smelly. sry if you disagree with me, your probably right, i just wouldnt know. im too young in the climbing world.

wildtrail

Jul 22, 2003, 8:42 PM
Post #93 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
there is a point at which nothing matters more than the trips, ... jobs, friends, eating/sleeping... at that point is it an addiction or the cure?

These are people that have nothing in life, so they consume their lives with the only thing they can in order to feel whole. I laugh at people that say climbing is life, because they obviously don't know what life is. I'm not proclaiming that I know what life is all about because I don't, but I am proclaiming that I know more about life than those that think "climbing is life". Climbing is only a part of life, and a small one at that, that we all use to enjoy life further.

Climbing is not life, nor is life climbing.

We all go through stages like this, trying to "live the dream". Eventually a placement we think is bomber fails, and we come crashing back to reality. I did. Now I know that climbing is not life. I just love to climb, but I could easily go without it in sacrafice for bigger and better things.

Love to all of you.

watersprite

Jul 22, 2003, 8:47 PM
Post #94 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

let's put this baby to rest.

What is wrong with climber dudes? Not a thing, they're great!

dingus

Jul 22, 2003, 9:22 PM
Post #95 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am proclaiming that I know more about life than those that think "climbing is life". Climbing is only a part of life, and a small one at that, that we all use to enjoy life further.

Climbing is not life, nor is life climbing.

We all go through stages like this, trying to "live the dream". Eventually a placement we think is bomber fails, and we come crashing back to reality. I did. Now I know that climbing is not life. I just love to climb, but I could easily go without it in sacrafice for bigger and better things.

Love to all of you.

I fail to see how your view is any less myopic... when you use the word "we" to describe what is uniquely "you" you are assigning thoughts and feelings where they are unwarranted and unwanted (I did this ergo we all did this?). Why can't you just speak for yourself and leave it at that?

Climbing is an integral part of my life. Much of my adult life has been shaped and flavored through my association with the sport. Where I live, my job, my friends, how I spend my time and most important decisions are made with climbing in mind. OK, so climbing doesn't have the same hold on you. OK, so maybe you'd be as happy with a pleasant game of croquet as you would struggling through the Narrows on Steck Salathe... I'd be perfectly content to join you on that one!

No, climbing isn't life. Climbing is MY life. A big part of it anyway and I have no intention nor need to change it. I took my daughters and their friends climbing yesterday. I hope it becomes a big part of their lives too, though I certainly won't force the issue.

Cheers,
DMT

watersprite

Jul 22, 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #96 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this thread is closed to further replies..

whichwayisup

Jul 23, 2003, 3:12 PM
Post #97 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Obviously it isn't. Every time you complain about this thread you give it a bump.

timstich

Jul 23, 2003, 3:43 PM
Post #98 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

...Climbing is an integral part of my life. Much of my adult life has been shaped and flavored through my association with the sport. Where I live, my job, my friends, how I spend my time and most important decisions are made with climbing in mind...

Back in college in 1989, about the only thing that I spent much time doing was drinking, girlfriends, and pretending to work on my degree. A student newspaper article clued me into the activity of "wild caving." I knew those people existed, but I had no idea where they lived or that one could just go freaking DO that in a real cave without restrictions. Finding out that information completely changed my life. I then got heavily into caving for about ten years, like you described, planning my life around that, buying cars that could negocitate horrible roads, socializing almost exclusively with cavers, and staying in what was and still is basically Caver Central in the southwest, Austin, TX.

I gradually grew appart from caving after a series of realizations that I was not in fact free to do what I wanted in my own turf, that Mexico was the closest stomping ground, and that I really didn't enjoy a lot of the tasks associated with caving, namingly surveying and ridge walking. Vacation was precious, so damnit FUN better be 75% of the equation.

Climbing turned out to be a better deal. It was common for climbers to travel to far flung areas just to have fun, for christ's sake. It was not frowned upon for them to "scoop booty" without surveying it and "paying their project dues." There was not even a list of derisive terms to describe climbing for fun such as "pit bopping" and "tourist caving." That again opened my eyes to a new way of doing things guilt free. There is no need to puff up the act of climbing into work projects or scientific inquiries of hydrological systems. One can climb for the sheer f*ck of it. Hallelujah!

None the less, those caving years did give me a sense of pride for the hard work I occassionally did. Route development is the logical extension of that old way, though I don't put one millionth of the effort into it as many of you out there. I will try to do more and have fun with it. Always with the fun, I says.

bertman

Jul 27, 2003, 1:49 AM
Post #99 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Behold the power of cheese.

bertman

Jul 27, 2003, 1:51 AM
Post #100 of 168 (12357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, I'm sorry sprite, did i bump this thread again? 8)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook