Forums: Climbing Partners: US - South:
Probably moving to Winston-Salem, NC...any advice?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

keinangst

Jul 26, 2003, 2:02 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Probably moving to Winston-Salem, NC...any advice?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Long story short, I got a great job offer but I haven't been to W-S to see the location yet.

If anyone has any advice on decent apartments, the local climbing scene, etc, please let me know. There really isn't a whole lot on the web about the area. I'll be up there this weekend, but will be pretty busy meeting people, etc. Any particular places I should see (in person or by car) to get a feel for things and avoid surprises?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 26, 2003, 2:25 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Re: Probably moving to Winston-Salem, NC...any advice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb Moore's Wall, it rules... One of my favorite NC places to climb.

toddr

Jul 26, 2003, 12:42 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I could give you some good apartment info, but I just moved to this area myself. From what I've seen, you can probably rent a house as cheap as an apartment, especially if you move to the outskirts of W-S. To the north (where I am) is a really nice area. There are several papers and booklets on housing available. You can find them at pretty much every convenient store. As far as climbing this is a great area. There are several areas very close by. Pilot Mt. and Moores Wall are the closest and Stone Mt. is only about an hour or so. You can get to Shiprock on the Parkway or Table Rock in about 2 hours. Let me know by e-mail or PM if you do move to the area. I live about 15 minutes from Pilot Mt. and Moores Wall.

seanb

Jul 27, 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're in for a treat! The local climbing is high quality and varied. In the long days of summer you can leave work at 5 and still get in some routes or bouldering at the outlying Sauratown Range. Moore's Wall is the regional jewel for routes and bouldering. Boone is close and NRG is 3 hours via a 4-lane highway. Western NC cliffs are also close and that really opens up your options for climbing.

For housing look around the Wake Forest University Hospital. Lots of old houses are rented to the student/resident population.

PM me if you need more info on the local climbing scene and how to meet folks.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook