Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

desertclimber

Jul 28, 2003, 2:40 AM
Post #1 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Livin' in a school bus...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all... I need some ideas!

I am modifying (and when I say modifying, I MEAN it) an old school bus to live/travel in. What I'm hoping for is some cool ideas on what to take with me, dealing with water issues, solar, places to go, things to see... ANY ideas you think might be neat while cruizin' around in a bus! Just imagine living in a cool bus, with your bike, your gear, a jeep, and the open road- what would YOU do? How would you make it HOME?

So what does modified mean? Well, I cut off 3/4 of the roof, lifted it, tilted a section of roof to provide a step-up for the now-varying height, and made the entire back-end a closeable ramp, to pull my jeep up inside during my trips away from the bus. I still have some frame/support work to finish, and I'm putting in bigger (but less qty.) windows. I hope to be done and on the road here shortly!

Go ahead, hammer me- I can take the abuse!

So I'm a little nutz, but what do I care!?!?
Ian.

The work in progress photo... *grin* See the jeep inside?
http://members.aol.com/...er/images/nessie.jpg

trbrts

Jul 28, 2003, 2:46 AM
Post #2 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Re: Livin' in a school bus... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude that is about the coolest thing I have ever seen on this site. You should read the "The Electric Kool-aid Acid Tests" to get some bus modification ideas from Ken Keesey.

xanx

Jul 28, 2003, 2:50 AM
Post #3 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

holy $h!t... is that for real! omfg i want one....

water: just travel with lots and lots and lots of it stored. apparently u have plenty of space.

food: same as above. Judge the amount of these two by how long you will be away from civilization. Think of life on a big wall. Something like 2 liters a day if i remember correctly??

things to see: PERMANENT ROAD TRIP!!!!1 w00t w00t!!1

just cruise around to a climbing spot, find a place to park, get enough food/water for a while, and climb baby climb!!

btw what are u doing for money? life in a school bus like that sounds great, but food and water and fuel cost $$... even dirtbagging, u will need some dough... minimize driving to minimize ur costs... park as close to the crag as u can... use the jeep to get to the actual rock if it is too far to walk (or bum a ride off someone else).

good luck and HAVE FUN!!

roughster

Jul 28, 2003, 2:54 AM
Post #4 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously, you will be envy of any climber hang out you pull into with that beast. Nice job! I would recommend a built in gas-powered generator (of course) with a TV/VR or DVD/TV combo. A small fridge would be a good idea as well. Even if you don't have it plugged in all the time, you can always stuff it full of dry ice to keep crap cool.

Put in a custom hook w/swivel arm to hang up a shower bag from on the outside or rear. Maybe even some kind of roll down curtain so you can have a fully functional shower out the back.

Hmm all I can think of now, but man it looks like you have know-how and the determination to make that thing the pimp of all travel vehicles!

desertclimber

Jul 28, 2003, 2:54 AM
Post #5 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only work six months out of the year... so... If I can get to an airport, I can get to work! Therefore, I have no worries about money... *grin*

I like the outside shower thing... I forgot we used to have one up in the mountains at my parents place... A shower with nothing but the full "moon" shinin'!

Ian.

mnutz

Jul 28, 2003, 3:41 AM
Post #6 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That thing is awesome!

Is there room underneath, maybe between the frame rails to mount a water tank or two? Could you put solar panels on top to heat the water?

lpclimber

Jul 28, 2003, 3:44 AM
Post #7 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How much did that cost you so far? That is awesome! If your going to sleep in it I would put a few like twin sized beds so other people can come to.

onelung

Jul 28, 2003, 3:48 AM
Post #8 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet ride!

I would get a 12 volt blender for Margaritas, had one on a long sail once and it worked great, but with your creativity just make one out of a starter motor!

All the best,
bill

cbeltrano

Jul 28, 2003, 3:59 AM
Post #9 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first off don't expect to receive much abuse your bus is pretty damn cool.

consider paneling the roof with solar panels.... you can get a fair amount of energy from them... consider propane for cooking maybe? you could get some tanks mounted on the back of the cool bus.... fold down bed is key for space saving.... for water keep a large water storage unit mounted to the ceiling with tubing and some sort of closure (gravity fed is the way to go)

i could probably go on for hours with idea's so i'll stop....... you're definitely living the dream man.... be sure to submit pics of the final project i'm sure we'll all want to look at your creation in awe and envy

climberpunk

Jul 28, 2003, 4:12 AM
Post #10 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

point the first: THATS THE BEASTIEST THING EVER TO GRACE THE PLANET.
#2: please come to DC, pick me up, and drive to yosemite....

and now to the real modifications.

1)flame job

2)get some really tacky statue at the dollar store and then use it as an hood ornament edit: LAWN GNOME

3)cross out the S and the H in school...[for those of u who DIDNT get that, it will then read #C#OOL BUS] you could also change it to the "too cool for SCHOOL BUS"

4)youve got a nice sloping roof that then goes into an all out roof....im thinking that warrants a bouldering wall....you could probably just bolt the holds into the roof, no prob, maybe duct tape the outside for rain protection.

5)no bed. h331 no. this kinda pad requires an hammock. like a really high quality, supper cool, mexican, hand maid hammock.8)

6)carpeting. preferably shag, but anything will do.

7)spray paint SUPERCALIFRAGIlISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS on the side. trust me here. its just an awesome word

8]definately a fridge

9)a couch?? fouton could double as bed.

10)if not #9, TONS OF BEAN BAG CHAIRS.

basically you cant do anything WRONG, because its a school bus. you cant mess with that kind of coolness.

p.s. please please come to dc, i hafta see this in person....*puppy eyes*

edit the second: i just realised that i used the word "pad" without realising it...thats really scary

mewalrus

Jul 28, 2003, 4:17 AM
Post #11 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If that really is yours, you ruined all the good space for the stupid jeep. Why not get a trailer and tow the jeep and have a totally pimped out living quarters in the bus. Now you have a huge prarctically useless bus to haul around your jeep. Whats that thing get, like 5 miles/gallon at best? I can think of hundreds of better things to do with a bus. It makes no sense to me. :roll:

If i was you I would remove the jeep and leave the raised ceiling. Then add a generator and some AC for the hot desert days. And get a nice leather couch and recliner. :)

galt

Jul 28, 2003, 4:56 AM
Post #12 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is this not doing on the Font Page? Amazing... simply amazing

chico2442

Jul 28, 2003, 5:02 AM
Post #13 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NICE!!

But, as someone mentioned gas mileage will suck, especially with the upward sloping middle section of the bus. So my idea would be put a huge uh what do you call them wing thingys that would extend from the top of the windshiled to the top of the upward sloping section, this would cut down on wind resistance...a lot of semi-trucks have them. Another idea, i dont know whether your planning on putting windows on the side of the bus or not or just leaving it open, but if you leave it open put some slits or holes in the back of the bus to cut down on wind resistance as well.

Well i didnt thing a whole lot about my idea so its possible i just said something really stupid but right now i think its good

sonus

Jul 28, 2003, 5:13 AM
Post #14 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although this bus IS pretty awsome/amazing, it seems like a silly thing to do.

You modify this bus so that you can park your jeep in it. And I'm asuming you want to use it as an RV type thing. As somebody has already mentioned, you're wasting so much space that you really wouldnt be able to fit much inside besides that jeep anyway! (ie bed, stove, couch, blah blah). So, by parking the Jeep inside, you negate the RV commodities. As many have mentioned, your gas mileage is going to SUCK!

Why not spend your money and mod your wrangler? Then, buy a nice 3 season tent and sleep in that! Or, even better, pull up to a tree with your jeep and sling a hammock.....

I just don't understand the purpose of this bus with the jeep INSIDE.

desertclimber

Jul 28, 2003, 5:31 AM
Post #15 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, flame job is a must! And a paint job while I'm in Mexico!

I can only put solar on the front lower part of the roof, since I'm keeping the overall hieght under 12'.

Hey mewalrus & sonus, The jeep only stays in the bus when I'm not there- it's a house/garage, you see? I'll tow the jeep while in transit. And there's lots of space!

I like the hammock instead of beds idea... Or heck, I could just set up my portaledge!!! *grin* Yeah, that's it!

I put the sloping section in to keep the change of roof heights from being too much of a wind-drag... That was the whole point of sloping it, and that's the best it will get! I'm ok with crap gas mileage- as I plan to just drive to a spot, and live there. I have my jeep to drive around, then I'll move on when I'm ready!

Ahem, excuse me, but NOT ALL 'JEEPS' ARE WRANGLERS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Peace!
Ian.

sixter

Jul 28, 2003, 5:48 AM
Post #16 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is VERY cool. I like it and wish it was my idea first.

For a stove and fridge, go propane. You can easily mount a large capacity tank between the frame rails. I remember our old RV had a propane fridge, and the freezer made great ice cubes, if I recall correctly. I was only a kid then.

I like the portaledge idea for your bed. :-D

I would add reinforcement to make the rear roof section a deck for watching the sunset/sipping adult beverages/whatever...you might want tie in points in case too much adult beverage was consumed...

You could put a bunch of bolt hangers on the inside to hang gear from in an organized fashion.

There is so much you could do. I pretty much think any project like this is a constant work in progress, constantly evolving as needs change.

Enjoy it, and I hope to see it on the road one day.

strongerthanyesterday

Jul 28, 2003, 7:59 AM
Post #17 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This bus is cool. but i'd leave the tv/dvd/video stuff at home. Nothing would be more irritating than pulling up to a crag and hearing that shit.

scuclimber

Jul 28, 2003, 8:12 AM
Post #18 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you buy your fridge, make sure it has a separate freezer compartment. I have a mini-fridge for my dormroom at school and it only has a little compartment for ice cubes... it'll fit a pint-size ice cream container, but it melts... useless. Take it from me, kick in the extra hundred bucks or so and you won't be sorry. Make sure you post lots of pics of the finished product, both inside and out. That is going to be a sweet ride! Good luck!

COlin

treeman

Jul 28, 2003, 8:51 AM
Post #19 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whats the height on that thing? will clearance be a problem?

tradmanclimbs

Jul 28, 2003, 12:05 PM
Post #20 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with everyone who posted against the jeep. How could you screw up a perfectly good buss by parking your jeep inside it? WTF. I live in a vw buss and had a friend who lived in a school buss and when you are on the road for awhile you can runout of space pretty quick especialy if you hook up with a chick. BTW chicks won't be impressed with you parking your BABY in the house any more than I am :roll: My buss has a queen sized bed in it so your school buss should have at least that with real matress/ good clean sheets etc. The wimminz will be a lot more impressed with clean sheets that with a freaking jeep in the living room. build a good kitchen and make sure that you vent the cooking area. You need good ventilation for the gas stove but a hood venting the top of the stove would be a good idea so you dont grease out the interior with cooking smoke. Oh yead Park your BABY outside :roll: the space were you thought you needed a garage should be a gear room for sorting out gear and getting ready for the next wall. a sofa might work well in here. I can't belive you have to park your baby in the f@$*ing living room. GET A GRIP!!! Better yet get a dog and let the dog sleep inside. At least dogs are chick magnets 8)

cthcrockclimber

Jul 28, 2003, 1:16 PM
Post #21 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These are things I'd do, but then again I'm kinda weird. First off, you need to get some 24 inch chrome wheels on that thing and a cow-pusher. Then you need an old 50 cal machine gun mounted somewhere. I'd also have a ladder going to the roof and make that a little chill spot with some chairs bolted down to make it like one of those double decker buses.

norskagent

Jul 28, 2003, 1:41 PM
Post #22 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out / visit / research the rainbow family...they all live and travel in rigged-out buses and vans, I'm sure they have come up with all kinds of helpful mutations. welcome home.

timstich

Jul 28, 2003, 1:50 PM
Post #23 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely get a car hauling hitch for the Jeep and reclaim that living space. Seems like it really takes up too much of the bus interior. Neat trick, though. Don't forget the book shelves. You are going to want to read a lot by yourself on the road.

overlord

Jul 28, 2003, 2:44 PM
Post #24 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, lets start. you could put some holds onto the ceiling to work out when its raining, a large bed (dooh), preferably the type you can see in new "official" living busses (during the day 2 sofas and a table, a bed at night), solar panels for electrisity when camping, shower, toilet...

man, i envy you. that looks so cool. and dont THINK about painting it over. its awesome.

texasclimber

Jul 28, 2003, 3:20 PM
Post #25 of 74 (11745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would go with a real bed, I have a nice hammock and after sleeping in it for more than 3 days, your body gets a little aiky (spelling sucks). Also, make a wooden box (safe) with a padlock on it. Store your gear/money in it. If you are really planning to put in big windows (expensive), you don't want people looking in and stealing your gear/money. MAKE A SAFE! Also, I would put in windows in the front part, but why don't just sheet metal for the back or ply wood? You don't need to spend all that money on windows! I like the idea of indoor bouldering, but if you don't want to do that for fear of leakage, maybe put up a traverse around your bus for a warmup. That way you just go straight to the good stuff!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook