RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

fiend

Jan 25, 2002, 6:11 PM
Post #1 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Rating/appreciating/analyzing photos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This has been brought up a few times but I couldn't find any of the old topics.

When browsing through the photo index (or any other photos) what goes through your head when you appraise a photo?

Personally, I think these are the most important things to look for:

Visual Aesthetics Is the photo visually pleasing? Does it have a certain quality that makes it stand out from the page? Good use of cropping/framing? Does the subject look like they are actually climbing or is it a "look at me and smile" photo?
Technical Quality Is the photo sharp and crisp? Good use of DoF(depth of field)? Nice contrasts? Does the color pop? Are the blacks black and the whites white?
Originality Have I seen this picture before? Have I seen this picture 6 times on this page already? Did the photographer go through any type of trouble to take this photo or just snap it from the belay?

It keeps coming up as to how people get confused (myself included) by the way photos are rated, so I thought I'd see what others think.

mauta

Jan 25, 2002, 7:20 PM
Post #2 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Rating/appreciating/analyzing photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
Just a comment of my VERY PERSONAL TASTE...

I really like those pictures where the climber(s) are virtually lost in a big wall. I really enjoy looking at those photos showing the inmensity of the mountain in contrast to the smallness of the climber(s).

JUAN

saltspringer

Jan 25, 2002, 9:39 PM
Post #3 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fiend, I'm with you...it baffles me sometimes what motivates people to vote "down" or "up" certain photos given their technical (or lack thereof) attributes, originality, etc...The one thing that you can never account for is nostalgia in a photo: a person's ability to relate to what they're seeing has alot to do with how they'll vote. A Big Wall climber wants to see aid gear, a small figure lost in a sea of rock or someone hanging of a mangy piece in etriers and that same climber may scoff at or be offended by a sport climber or, God forbid, one of those nasty boulderers! People should leave those personal biasis aside and try to appreciate each photo for what it is: a statement, a record of events, a piece of art, whatever and vote accordingly. Hopefully with the new distinctions (categories, vote or not) people won't bother looking at and voting on the pictures that they know will not appeal to them.

kelownaclimber

Jan 25, 2002, 11:30 PM
Post #4 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think quite often you will find that people will vote for a photo if they know the person that posted it regardless of the quality of the photo.There seem to be a lot of shots rated very high here that really aren't that good(those slightly out of focus TR shots,etc.) and many shots that are incredible that are just buried 20 pages back.Some of us take great efforts to get these photos...have spent much time rapping in beside a route just to get a couple good pics! We should all use guidelines similar to Fiend's when we vote on stuff!

jmlangford

Jan 26, 2002, 12:45 AM
Post #5 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kelownaclimber... I couldn't have said it better myself. However, I don't complain anymore when my photo's get voted down. I did once, regarding my photo "Late Evening Rappel" which made to featured photo on the front page, immediately it dropped like a rock because everyone was voting it "two thumbs down". I don't claim superiority with my photos but I do take pride in them and some of them should not be as low as they are. I was "counseled" by a friend I met on this site to just enjoy my photography and that some moron's personal vendetta doesn't matter as long as I have pride in my work. She's right. Who cares what people think as long as you know your work is good.

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 26, 2002, 1:47 AM
Post #6 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Prusing the log of who voted what for whom, these are the trends...

33% vote accordingly (3-8)
10% vote for friends (10)
23% have a vendeta against the submitter (1)
33% vote against photos other than their own (1)

I was even guilty of the later catagory early on, for that I'm ashamed.

rrrADAM

jmlangford

Jan 26, 2002, 2:34 AM
Post #7 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrradam...how do you know who actually is doing the voting?Are our names attached to the votes in your logs? What is "voting against"? Is it a score below 5? below6?
Just curious.
I vote on all pictures, mine, friends, people I don't know, etc. I have voted some low, some high, but never have I voted something down because I had a personal problem with the poster. The thing I have been guilty of is after seeing an absurdly low vote on one of mine by an "enemy", I will give my own pic an inflated vote to offset it. Mostly, though, I'm pretty honest about critiquing my own.

[ This Message was edited by: jmlangford on 2002-01-25 18:41 ]

Partner rrrADAM

Jan 26, 2002, 2:59 AM
Post #8 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The numbers in parenthesis represent the votes. Some people, they shall remain nameless, vote only 1's or 10's, with all 1's for particular submitters.

jmlangford

Jan 26, 2002, 3:14 AM
Post #9 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

10-4. Thanks.

kelownaclimber

Jan 26, 2002, 4:49 AM
Post #10 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adam,
I too am guilty of voting harshly on some photos,however not because of the person by whom it was submitted or to get mine rated higher but more to lower the rank of one's I thought shouldn't be ranked as highly as they are.However, having put much thought into voting on a picture we must give it an honest rating...topos and diagrams should be voted down as they should have a link to the area anyway,but everything else should be given a very honest,objective rating based on the photo, not it's presnt rank or the fact you think yours should be higher.We owe it to each other as fellow climbers and photographers!

jmlangford

Jan 26, 2002, 4:56 AM
Post #11 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto!

kelownaclimber

Jan 26, 2002, 1:55 PM
Post #12 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adam,
would it be possible to set the gallery so that the rating will not change from the rating given by the moderater until it recieves at least 10 votes?? It seems to me that most of the pictures that get bumped way up do so in the first few votes...can we change the rating system to give us a better average rather than having a photo with only 3 or 4 votes rank as high as 8 or 9.Or maybe we should have 50 or so users sign up as photo reviewers and just allow them to vote.It is a shame to see some of these awesome photos voted down by idots that want their ass shot in the featured photo.Any other thoughts on this??anyone??

bubblegum

Jan 26, 2002, 7:39 PM
Post #13 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YES
My thoughts are keep the crap for a month or two. keep the out standing stuff for 3 or 4. what ever each person has individual tastes. But ...i like the thumbnails

krillen

Jan 27, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #14 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I can't bring myself to vote for my own pic (at least I don't think I have....) which makes it hard to bring them back up after they get slaughtered.

maybe that's one reason I haven't posted many, and may not poast many more....

krillen

Jan 27, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #15 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I can't bring myself to vote for my own pic (at least I don't think I have....) which makes it hard to bring them back up after they get slaughtered.

maybe that's one reason I haven't posted many, and may not poast many more....

Partner sauron

Jan 27, 2002, 11:35 PM
Post #16 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that the votes someone made on a picture, should be displayed - with their name and the whole nine yard.

And, make it so one can/could edit one's vote.

This system is used on photo.net, and works pretty well - the fact that each and every vote made, shows in public, for all and everyone to see, tends to get rid of the vendetta voters - and, to some degree, the people who vote all 10's, because the photograph was their friend...

- d.

atg200

Feb 13, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #17 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also wish that votes and voters were visible-I'm certain I have a bunch of vendetta votes against some of mine, and that might help hold people accountable. Maybe have a button that will bring up a page showing who voted what when?

I've also noticed that pictures were judged a lot more harshly a few months ago than now. Partly it is because I think the overall quality has gone up, but there are a lot of unfairly rated photos out there. I've been picking a random person every once in awhile and going back through all their pics to see what I missed and to bring neglected but excellent pictures up in the standings.

andrew

pushfurther

Feb 15, 2002, 5:09 PM
Post #18 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i tend to vote on how the pic makes me feel. if it inspires me somehow. i like seeing action..people struggling to put in gear or clip a draw. i like black and white photos, for the most part..

although this goes against the whole action thing, and i'm giving PTPP some publicity(like he needs it), this is one of my favorites

gekolimit

Feb 17, 2002, 3:33 AM
Post #19 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How much i wish i could be the person in the picture. Thats what makes me give it a 10 or an 8. I don't give it a vote unless its worth an 8 or a 10.
I find it unfair to downsize a picture (give them low vote) so i just leave it and don't vote for it.

nikegirl

Feb 17, 2002, 4:08 AM
Post #20 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually asked others if they had voted on their own pictures...Funny, never has one person said yes...but, then again??? The subject was usually completly avoided, or never answered.

I myself have never voted for my own pictures.
I'd not be a good candidate for politics...

I find that the newer system on the thumbprints, and the comments, sometimes, just overrides my wanting to vote.
I give my comments, thru Pm's...or on the page itself.
I have acknowledged those, I feel are outstanding pictures...
I first see the picture: and it WOW's me, like DAMN!!
Visually intense climbing, or extreme beauty.
orangeoverhang
jmlangford
masculated
spike
rrradam
gordonl.larsen
sizzlechest
elcapbuzz (slacklining!!!!!! blew me away!) DAMN!!!

key words: blew me away...

All these guys and girls: some of my very favorite photography.

I say vote!!!!!
look around!!!! Bloody AWESOME!!!

just my little ol point of view.

T

pushfurther

Feb 17, 2002, 6:35 AM
Post #21 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've voted on my own, but i voted low. like 3's and 5's..

elcapbuzz

Feb 17, 2002, 6:46 AM
Post #22 of 22 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not going to lie.

I vote on my photos, I usually vote them pretty high to. I am not the photographer on most of the photos I submit, so why shouldn't I give my opinion on them?

Ammon

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook