Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Is there a way to slim down without loosing my mind?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

queenkatherine

Aug 2, 2003, 2:57 AM
Post #1 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Is there a way to slim down without loosing my mind?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to loose some fluff, without going nuts. Is it possible? :?

frankfurter

Aug 4, 2003, 7:13 AM
Post #2 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is there a way to slim down without loosing my mind? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend is on the atkins diet and she says it works great. The results are visual and true. The atkins is a low carb high protein diet. If you have the discipline you'll be in great shape! You can read up on it at any library or even check it out on the web. Good luck.

maculated

Aug 4, 2003, 3:16 PM
Post #3 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No on the Atkins diet. People only do the inductive diet and then go back to eating normally. Atkins only works if you do it for life. And trust me, doing it for life would suck. And be expensive.

jt512

Aug 5, 2003, 4:01 AM
Post #4 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My friend is on the atkins diet and she says it works great. The results are visual and true. The atkins is a low carb high protein diet. If you have the discipline you'll be in great shape! You can read up on it at any library or even check it out on the web. Good luck.

Figures. A guy named "Frankfurter" pushing the Atkins diet.

Frank, care to make a wager on whether two years from now your friend will weigh more or less than before she began Atkins?

-Jay

pooger

Aug 5, 2003, 4:06 AM
Post #5 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go to the gym and work out then eat healthier for guaranteed results, or is that what makes you lose your mind?

calliope

Aug 5, 2003, 4:29 AM
Post #6 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: Just say no to Atkins. Or any diet that has you chuck a major food group. But do make sure you get enough protein as that's what allows you to build muscle thus increasing your metabolism which in turn causes a higher rate of fat burn. And, get your cardio in a few times a week in addition to climbing. If you can pull yourself into a gym, lift weights. It is the only way to change body shape if that's what you want to do. Cardio alone will make you a smaller version of your present shape. Make sure you're doing enough weight. You should only be able to do 10-12 reps in each set. If you're knocking out 20, up that weight.

Make sure you're eating enough, getting enough sleep, and resting enough between workouts. These sound like no brainers but are often what makes or breaks a plan. Good luck, and don't beat yourself up. This is supposed to be fun.

frankfurter

Aug 5, 2003, 10:18 AM
Post #7 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, sorry about the suggestion on the atkins. I was not diggin it either till I saw the results. Hey, it's 4 against 1 so i'll back off and accept possible failure. BTW I'm not being a smart ass either.

m.a.h
Deleted

Aug 5, 2003, 3:27 PM
Post #8 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make simple small changes. For example, change from whole to 2% milk than move to 1% (skim is vile imho), if you can change from driving to biking for some trips - I try to ride to work 3 days each week (7 miles each way and not much longer than either mass transit or driving) or going to blockbuster, a healthy snack between meals, adding fish, chicken or pork (lean) dropping a beef meal, and cut out a drink when having more than one.

Don't give up all the fun thing chips, cake, a good steak or a mileshake and the like or being lazy sometimes - we need fun and pleasure in our lives or we are only existing.

And you are doing this for you not your doctor, boy/girl friend or anyone else. These are changes you are making for you so if you break your diet or workout don't beat yourself up too much. Just don't forget to go back to the diet and workout plan.

Sorry for butting into the ladies room but I have been trying to drop more than fluff - more like lard and just wanted to offer my advice.

Mark

lazygirl

Aug 5, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #9 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What have you already tried? What are your eating and exercising habits? It's had to give advice on what you can do to change your health without knowing what you're doing already.

ancrtz_climber

Aug 6, 2003, 7:34 AM
Post #10 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have heard that going on a low carb diet combined with excersizing works really well. Its pretty easy too, just stay away from breads, pastas, rice and such; and climb alot :)

sroehlk

Aug 6, 2003, 2:41 PM
Post #11 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just forget your wallet at home like I did today. I found $1 and a breakfast bar in my bag. I'll have a great lunch today!

maculated

Aug 6, 2003, 4:01 PM
Post #12 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Muwhahah!! A buck buys you a bagel, and that's my lunch. Cheap is good!

jt512

Aug 6, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #13 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have heard that going on a low carb diet combined with excersizing works really well. Its pretty easy too, just stay away from breads, pastas, rice and such; and climb alot :)

If you eliminate carbs from your diet, you won't be able to climb a lot.

-Jay

sroehlk

Aug 6, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #14 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think cheap is in the vocabulary at any of the restaurants by my office. Even a stupid sandwich costs $4 at the 7-11 downtown :? I might head over to Walgreens and see what my $1 will buy.

sroehlk

Aug 6, 2003, 4:34 PM
Post #15 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

P.S. I'm just cranky from hunger :roll:

queenkatherine

Aug 7, 2003, 12:08 AM
Post #16 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D Ok...No Atkins for QueenK!
Well, what have I done... I have cut down on drinking Pepsi, I am a reforming addict :wink: replacing it with coffey and water. Fewer chocolate binges, less meat and more veggies and I walk every day at my job. Since I turned 25 my fat burning capabilities have decreased. However, I have made some resolutions towards getting healthier. My weight is carried mostly in my torso. I don't overeat and I choose healthy snacks (mostly)
I guess my second question is: how do I strengthen my abs without killing by lower back?
Thanks for the info on the Atkins diet.

calliope

Aug 7, 2003, 4:02 AM
Post #17 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lay on your stomach with your palms face down sort of as though you're resting from push ups. Raise up on your toes with your hips and back in alignment and part of your weight resting on your forearms. Hold for thirty seconds and then bring yourself down to rest. Do 8-10 reps. This and any other core exercises will really strengthen those core muscles which will help with your climbing and anything else you do which requires balance.

overlord

Aug 7, 2003, 12:52 PM
Post #18 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont eat dinner, cut down the use of alcohol, especially beer.

and aerobic excercise at least three times per week (running, biking, swimming...)

rockwomyn

Aug 7, 2003, 1:31 PM
Post #19 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well....i highly suggest that you do not skip meals. You body needs food...preferrably every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism going. you should eat small meals that contains, good carbs (whole wheat pasta and bread), lean protein (turkey, chix or tuna) and a wee bit of fat (good fats avacado, olive oil.) eat dinner but avoid high carb, high sugar foods 3-4 hours before bedtime.

I myself have lost over 50 lbs...it took me about 2 years and i have kept it off for 2 years and i am still maintaining and now just working on getting ripped 8) . However, i totally revamped my diet and started lifting free weights and doing about 30-45 min of cardio (walking, running, biking) 4-5 times a week. I think the best goal to have is to not diet but to just clean up your diet...i.e. cut out sodas and daily chocolate and ice cream binges....especially before bed. :( Everything in moderation and having a bit of portion control should help you on your way to shedding the pounds. Cutting out an entire food group is bad....although it may work well at losing those stubborn pounds initially, it will eventually leave you having to eat that way forever in order to lose, while depriving your body of the things it needs........the brain needs carbs to function.

Oh i also suggest making a daily journal of what you consume and your activities just so you can monitor what goes in your mouth. a piece of chocolate here and a cookie there adds up real fast.

Just my 2 cents. :roll:

former heavyweight,
eryn

maculated

Aug 7, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #20 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock, that's awesome that you were able to do that!! :)

Your advice is very sound, too!

queenkatherine

Aug 7, 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #21 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok no alcohol...Got it. I don't like the idea of not having a tasty beer now and then, :( But, I think I can curb that habit. I'm not a big drinker anyways.
I have heard that eating before bed time causes problems, nightmares (spicy food) Fat bottoms and such. :shock: I guess now that I think about what I eat, skipping lunch and grabbing Doritos to snack on isn't all that healthy.
To be honest, I have more discipline to go to the movie store than I do to plan meals. Eating veggies and small portions of meat sounds easy, but I have a hard time convincing my mind that fast food restaurants are not ok to purchase grub at.
My husband has recently started on the path to veganism. However, I am a CARNIVORE, I always have been. I wouldn't dare cut the yummy beasts out of my diet completely. :)
So eating small meals 2-3 hours apart and avoiding sugary and fatty meals before bed time. With a habitual exercise routine should do the trick! I shall keep those interested posted on my progress.
By the way Eryn, congratulations on your success! I am glad to know that loosing weight isn't a hopeless battle. :D

maculated

Aug 8, 2003, 3:26 PM
Post #22 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I know I have a link about my weird inability to lose further poundage, but I was, at one time about twenty pounds heavier . . .

I did most of what Rock did, but now I have a few other rules:

Don't eat past 8 at night. That gives you at least two hours to just . . . not consume.

Never eat at McDonalds of BK, ever. Unless someone holds you at gun point.

Opt for sprouted wheat things when you can.

Limit alchohol, or if you plan on drinking a lot one night, limit other calories. (Don't have to give up the drink. I tried this and nearly became a stoner, back to alcohol, thankyouverymuch.)

Don't eat the free bread of chips at restaurants.

Don't eat out that much (this one kills me), why? Even if you limit portions and choose healthy foods, restaurants LIKE to add lots of stuff that tastes awesome, and you would never dream of doing normally.

Water. Drink 2 Nalgenes (at least) a day. Most people don't get enough water anyway, and this is a great way to stop overeating.

Green tea - no sugar - in the mornining. Stems the appetite for a while and is good for you.

enigma

Aug 8, 2003, 5:09 PM
Post #23 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

--My girlfriend just lost 20pounds in six months no exercise , her secret????

Popcorn all the time, seems to fill her up and she's not hungry :shock:

Haven't tried it, alot of popcorn gives me a stomach ache. :wink:

queenkatherine

Aug 8, 2003, 9:57 PM
Post #24 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Popcorn worked when I ate it for an afternoon snack. I just got sick of eating it. :(
Besides rice cakes, popcorn, raw veggies, give me heartburn.
I do drink a lot more water but, I can't shake the hunger. I end up eating more to fill up. I get a better feeling when I combine a lump of French bread and a glass of water. My problem is I love to put butter on it! Even then success is fleeting.

fern

Aug 9, 2003, 4:58 AM
Post #25 of 72 (4516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a person can diet all she want but if she doesn't exercise too she will just end up skinny and unfit instead of fat and unfit. either way she is still unfit. I'd rather be fat and fit than a skinny no-lung weakling. Exercise gets easier the more you do it. Today 5minutes, tomorrow 6minutes, so on.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook