Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
JTree without a car
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

tarzan420

Aug 6, 2003, 6:55 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1910 views)
Shortcut

JTree without a car  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My fiancee and I are considering coming to JTree for spring break (mid-march), but unfortunately it will be prohibitively expensive for us to rent a car (stupid under-25 surcharge :evil: )

How difficult is it to spend a week in the park without a car? It appears from the map that the closest water to hidden valley is ~10 miles (somewhat difficult to manage on foot, if we want to climb too)

troutboy

Aug 6, 2003, 12:52 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Re: JTree without a car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Water might be a problem. The nearest water source is at the park entrance, about 25 minutes (drive) away. You'll need to either bum water off of someone in the CG, or hitch a ride to town with someone to fetch it.

If you can hitch a ride to Hidden Valley (or maybe Ryan) campground, you will find enough climbing within walking distance to keep you busy for a week.

You'll also need to hitch a ride from town into the park and back again.

Hidden Valley and Ryan CGs are mostly full of climbers. Most are very friendly. I don't think you'd have a problem with either the ride or borrowing water.

FYI, don't leave your borrowed water out in the open. If the ravens don't get it, the other critters will.

TS

jhwnewengland

Aug 6, 2003, 1:36 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say you shouldn't have much trouble hitching wherever you need to go within the park (or out to town). It will be harder to find a ride to the park from LA or wherever you fly into.

enigma

Aug 6, 2003, 5:03 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

---There are bulletin boards in Hidden Valley campground to post for rides.
:P
I dont think the distance from the entrance is 25 miles to HiddenValley Campground its about 14 ,I believe.
If you just bring enough water for drinking initally,you can ask other climbers to fill up the containers when they drive to town. :idea:
I will add one thing its illegal to hitch a ride, if one of those rangers see you ,you'll get arrested. BTW- they are around!!!!!!
(driving to and from Joshua Tree to Hidden Valley Campground.Maybe you should arrange something beforehand.)

There is plenty of climbing in Hidden Valley, Real Hidden Valley,Echo Cove, and Ryan thats in walking distance.

troutboy

Aug 6, 2003, 5:14 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
---I dont think the distance from the entrance is 25 miles to HiddenValley Campground its about 14 ,I believe.
For the record, the post does say 25 minutes, not 25 miles. :D

paborden

Aug 6, 2003, 5:52 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner and I spent a week around new year's last year without a car and had NO problems whatsoever. There are some things you need to think about though:

First, we had a friend who lives in the area (but doesn't climb) drive us from the airport in palm springs (or whatever the name of that one near it is) to the park. Without this connection, I'm not sure how we would have gotten there.

Second, on the way, we stopped at a supermarket and picked up boatloads of food and those huge jugs of water, which we then stashed in our camp (enough water and food for the whole trip with some to spare).

Speaking of where we camped, having never been to jtree before, we started off in a far off camp as all the other areas were "FULL." However, as we soon came to find out, if you find a campsite in hidden valley where everyone is cool and they haven't reached the two tent limit, you can ask and, depending on their reply, set up camp. Since you don't have a car, this will actually make your life easier as the camp where we settled had all the car spots taken. Or, better yet, stash your food in camp and forget about a tent altogether--less weight, fewer problems with finding a site, and the stars are AMAZING! The rangers are not *that* strict about enforcing camsite limits...

Third, as for hitchhiking, we had no problems on this front either--even when we were far away. The added drive every morning, however, did cut into our climbing time so I would reccomend, above all, that you get a spot in hidden valley...you probably won't even need to hitchhike then as there are so many climbs there to begin with. When we decided to switch camp--yes, with all our gear, tent, food and water--we even did that by hitching a ride. I had also thought hitchhiking at night would be tough--we didn't get off the crags til 11pm one night--and I, being pissy at the time, had a bet with my partner that we wouldn't get a ride in the next half hour...well, I lost. The whole week, everyone was saying to us, "hey, aren't you those hitchhikers we always see?" So, make friends (or threaten to beat up people who pass you by) and you should be fine. In the end, I would have RATHER hitchhiked than rented a car 'cause we got to meet so many awesome people, adding a dimension to our trip that wouldn't have been there before...

Hitching rides to town really isn't a problem either...showers and food awaits though it might eat up half a day.

As for the rangers ticketing you...well, we were there during the huge crack down surrounding the '03 new year's party and the rangers were being about as gestapo as you can imagine--road blocks, flashlights in the face, real asinine stuff--and, although they definately passed us, none ever stopped to talk with us or even hint about tickets.

Lastly, I don't know what you've decided to do about guidebooks but make sure to pick up some of the area specific Alan Bartlett guides...they rock. And pick out routes before you arrive.

Sorry if I rambled...but, anyway, if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. And hey, if you let me know when you're going, I might even join you :)

dynosaur

Aug 11, 2003, 6:54 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First, we had a friend who lives in the area (but doesn't climb) drive us from the airport in palm springs (or whatever the name of that one near it is) to the park. Without this connection, I'm not sure how we would have gotten there.

I managed to catch a local bus from Palm Springs to Joshua Tree (town). Can't remember the details exactly, but I think it ran daily?? I think the guidebook has details.

Have a great trip!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook