RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

calliope

Aug 3, 2003, 11:36 PM
Post #1 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

The hand issue
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:roll: So, I've been climbing three to four times a week for about a month now. My calluses are getting to the point where they're peeling off in an oh-so-lovely manner about once a week. That doesn't really bother me as I know they'll grow back, but unfortunately I don't live in the rock gym. I've got to conduct business on a daily basis, and right now my hands look like I've shoved them in a meat grinder.

Any tips on keeping them somewhat presentable during the 9-5 without hurting the climbing?

uscrocker

Aug 4, 2003, 1:44 AM
Post #2 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Re: The hand issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, i can add much to your hand issue except for the obvious... use lotion. I would like to add to your post by asking what about finernails also? I've relide on my fingernails to do odd jobs my whole life but the guys i climb with complain about the scratching noise they make on the rock. my nails arent even that long

rockfool

Aug 4, 2003, 4:38 PM
Post #3 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use aquaphor healing ointment by eucerin. It works so good, my hands are in good shape. You can buy it at any target or walgreens. Good luck with your hands.

maculated

Aug 4, 2003, 5:08 PM
Post #4 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The peeling will abate at some point. You're probably just new to climbing and your hands aren't used to it. Mine only slough off when I haven't been climbing for a while.

That said, i find vitamin E oil works magic.

eowyn1025

Aug 5, 2003, 5:12 AM
Post #5 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, this is probably not the best thing in the world for your skin, but, it works for the most part: i use one of those foam nail buffing blocks to buff away the dead dry skin on my hands...and then use tons of lotion. probably the best 'lotion' out there (unfortunately, not the most pleasant smelling but it works) is this stuff called Bag Balm. comes in a cube shaped green tin, smells horrid, but does the job. put it on at night so you don't have to smell it all day

calliope

Aug 5, 2003, 1:29 PM
Post #6 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol: I know this stuff. In fact I have it in my medicine cabinet. It was my grandmother's cure-all. How funny. Small world. I've been using some skin renewal lotion that I had in my cabinet and they're most definitely looking better. Thanks for all of the tips.

mreardon

Aug 5, 2003, 8:26 PM
Post #7 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lotion, lotion, lotion. The calluses will stop peeling once you climb on a regular basis or if you use a buffer pad, however, they will slough off if you stop for any extended time period no matter how much lotion you use.

climbinggirl33

Aug 7, 2003, 6:04 AM
Post #8 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did say I was both a tomboy and a girlie girl in that other thread . . .

This stuff is amazing - I got it as a gift (maybe it was a hint) but I love it:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P7418&shouldPaginate=true

kcrag

Aug 8, 2003, 1:14 AM
Post #9 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd put in my vote to just get used to it.

just you wait... climb for another year or so, and you'll start to get what jerry seinfeld calls "MAN HANDS"! i've grown to love mine--they've become my reminder that i am strong and capable of working HARD.

-k.

iamthewallress

Aug 8, 2003, 1:54 AM
Post #10 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i'd put in my vote to just get used to it.

just you wait... climb for another year or so, and you'll start to get what jerry seinfeld calls "MAN HANDS"! i've grown to love mine--they've become my reminder that i am strong and capable of working HARD.

When I was hurt last winter and my hands and feet became soft, uncalloused, and gobi- and oxide-stain-free, I actually got bummed. My smoothe paws were such a symbol of my inactivity.

When I look down at my scabs, I know that there was a time not to far away from my current stimulating circumstance that has left me with nothing better to do than worry about my scaley hands, that I was so engrossed in what I was doing that I didn't even realize I was loosing skin. And then I know that I'll be back in that situation again in just a few days if not hours. Scabs, peelies, and grime...the new corporate escape.

As far as the weekly molting...as the others said, it will go away if you keep climbing. Get a pair of cotton gloves for putting on panty hose. Otherwise I bet there's hardly another person on the planet that pays any attention to whether or not you have a bit of skin peeling on your hands.

climbinggirl33

Aug 9, 2003, 2:45 AM
Post #11 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went on a date once and he said "touching your hands is like touching my dog's paw!"

Romantic huh?

calliope

Aug 9, 2003, 4:37 AM
Post #12 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I went on a date once and he said "touching your hands is like touching my dog's paw!"

Romantic huh?

:shock: Nice.

This is why I don't think I could date a non-[insert sport of your choice here]. I don't think I could respect a guy who's hands are softer than mine. Not that it would take much at this point. :oops:

Partner missedyno

Aug 10, 2003, 7:09 AM
Post #13 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lotion lotion and more lotion! some people use a very fine grain sandpaper to buff their skin between climbing sessions. fortunately mine haven't done the peeling thing in a while.... so i don't have to resort to that....

climbinggirl33

Aug 11, 2003, 3:21 AM
Post #14 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We didn't date very long ;-)

I can date non-climbers - but only if they are outdoorsy and have their own passion so I can keep climbing. Helps if they can deal with my climbing with the boys too.

Then again, in an ideal world my prince charming would have a horse and a rack!

calliope

Aug 11, 2003, 3:48 AM
Post #15 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We didn't date very long ;-)

I can date non-climbers - but only if they are outdoorsy and have their own passion so I can keep climbing. Helps if they can deal with my climbing with the boys too.

Then again, in an ideal world my prince charming would have a horse and a rack!

Mine has a pulse and a Jeep, but I'm about to lower my standards to just a pulse. :wink:

Seriously, I'd not been applying lotion because I'd gotten it into my head that it would harm my climbing somehow. I'm not sure where I got that. I probably made it up. In any case, I've been moisturizing like crazy, and although I'll never be a hand model, they look much better. You guys were great with the advice...now if you could only sort out the rest of my life so easily.

lollipopchic

Aug 12, 2003, 2:11 PM
Post #16 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use scissors to cut off the peeling skin, and then I use a nail file to smooth the edges! Helps a bit in preventing the skin from peeling more.

climbinggirl33

Aug 12, 2003, 7:48 PM
Post #17 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A jeep, a pulse - both good things.

If only it were as easy as applying lotion. . .

But yikes - scissors - that scares me.

estherator

Aug 12, 2003, 9:05 PM
Post #18 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my manhands. However, climb on balm, from Trango, is the BOMB. After a while using it, you'll rarely, if ever, even get flappers.

turockgirl

Aug 13, 2003, 9:12 PM
Post #19 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I use scissors to cut off the peeling skin, and then I use a nail file to smooth the edges! Helps a bit in preventing the skin from peeling more.
Scissors?? Yikes! :shock: I think I would cut myself! I've used nail clippers before (I cleaned them before I used them)

krave

Aug 13, 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #20 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was climbing sat. sun. outdoors, and tues. thurs. indoors my hands were rough, but didn't peel. unless you are holding or shaking hands most people may not notice. I suggest that you climb up to 4 dyas a weeki, then your hands probably won't peel. The caluses you develop will also make it more comfy to climb in the gym (a necessary evil for those who have jobs and don't live near great boulders.)

I went on a blind date with this guy who suggested that I needed a manicure and some acrylics!!!! "Do you know what I do for fun?!", I asked him, incredulous that one of MY friends hadn't told him about my obsession. That was the last I ever saw of that guy. And I think that was the last time I consented to go on a date with a non-climber.

edited for stupid mistake

climbinggirl33

Aug 13, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #21 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too funny - a man I work with is always reprimanding me for not painting my toenails (I live in sandals and flip flops in the summer) and I always just look him at exclaim:

"I ROCK CLIMB!!!!"

Dating non-climbers sure makes for interesting stories later tho . . .

:oops:

krave

Aug 14, 2003, 2:08 AM
Post #22 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As horrendously ugly as my feet are (thanks climbing shoes) I think they would be 100% worse without semi regular pedicures. And they polish off all the callouses that build up on my feet from the shoes. ANywayt I find that toe polish stays on much longer than it ever did on my hands(five minutes).

Hmmm, wonder why I like the callouses on my hands but not on my feet? less useful perhaps?

sorry if feet are off topic.

lollipopchic

Aug 14, 2003, 1:40 PM
Post #23 of 23 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Scissors?? Yikes! I think I would cut myself! I've used nail clippers before (I cleaned them before I used them)
I use those tiny little scissors you get, and only to cut off the big flaps of skin, or sometimes i use the nail clippers. Then the file to smooth it out. I know it sounds weird, but I find my skin seems to peel less! but whatever works i guess, haven't tried any of those special climbing lotion thingys though... here in oz i don't think we can get that kind of thing, looks like plain old hand cream for me!!

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook