RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

robbovius

Aug 12, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #1 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Adopt-a-Crag day, Lookout Rock, Northbridge MA 9/6/03
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Folks I just got the word from Rich Doucette that The Park Dept is enthused about us voluteering to clean up Lookout Rock

the date is 9/6, from 10am until 2pm, and the parks dept will supply trashbags and gloves.

It turns out that this is going to be a combined effort between us rc.commers and some folks from the NErockclub Yahoo Group. psyche!

The NErockclub group have offered a locking carabiner to the volunteer who finds the wierdest piece of crag junk. yay! Accordin to Rich Doucette, the Access Fund will be sending out Adopt-a-Crag "support packages"
with water bottles and other trinkets for the volunteers also.
REI will also contribute some swag for the volunteers.

so far the folks who've said they'll help out are

ME
Wannabeaclimber
Binerman (from Yahoo NErockclub)
Harrison Schulmann (from Yahoo NErockclub)
Jim Pasquino (From Yahoo NErockclub)
Bonesz (maybe)
Wideguy (maybe)
Orangekayak
uasunflower (and several friends perhaps)
Magik 1990 (from Yahoo NErockclub)
Seeker
Berger
Gribbin Loring (from REI)
Sarah Ferguson (From REI)
Donna Levy + friends (from Yahoo NERockclub)
Nurock
Mike K.

Both Binerman and I are planning on bringing our gear in order to climb following the cleanup.

looking to be a great day! let's hope for sunny weather!

wannabeaclimber

Aug 12, 2003, 3:03 AM
Post #2 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Re: Adopt-a-Crag day, Lookout Rock, Northbridge MA 9/6/03 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this is quite obvious, but I'll be there :D

robbovius

Aug 15, 2003, 12:43 AM
Post #3 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*bump* want to keep this near the top:

see updates at the top of the thread!

orangekyak

Aug 15, 2003, 2:15 AM
Post #4 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

80 percent chance I'll be there. Nice going rob, this will be great. And we can use it to get people out to Everest Day at QQ the next week.

robbovius

Aug 18, 2003, 3:16 PM
Post #5 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*bump*again!

tcollins

Aug 18, 2003, 4:11 PM
Post #6 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I'll be out of town (again), but I'll offer you a bump.

*bump*

Have fun guys. Grab a few pics so we can all see what this area looks like.
See ya,
TD

robbovius

Aug 22, 2003, 3:23 PM
Post #7 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*bump*

nurocks

Aug 27, 2003, 12:52 PM
Post #8 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Rob,
I should be able to make it as well. Feel free to slap me upside the head with a reminder on say, sept 4th or so. I think you have my number, or PM me here.
Thanks a lot,

mcsurly

Aug 27, 2003, 1:59 PM
Post #9 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can somebody post directions? I don't know if I can make it, but I'll bring a trashbag along if I ever check it out...

robbovius

Aug 28, 2003, 1:00 PM
Post #10 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I added Lookout Rock to the routes database, with directions, some photos, and a few routes. If you need direction details not included in the stuff posted there, PM or email me.

I am also going to create a page on my MC pic page site for Lookout, again including directions, and perhaps some more detailed beta.

see you on the 6th!!!!

robbovius

Aug 30, 2003, 1:51 AM
Post #11 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey folks, I hve been contacted by the REI representative who will be there at Lookout on the 6th asnd he told me that inaddition to the T shirts I already have for the volunteers that day, there will be additional swag from the Access Fund/ REI including more T-shirts, water bottles, and some other miscellaneous merch. there may also be a raffle, with a of prize a Backpack, pair of climbing shoes, or something equally groovy.

On a side note, the REI stores are taking sign-ups for each location to help gauge attendance, So if you're planning on attending, contact REI (either reading MA or Framingham) and sign up!

looks like this may turn out to be a pretty well attended day!

orangekyak

Aug 30, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #12 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nice job, rob? if you build it ...

robbovius

Aug 30, 2003, 3:30 PM
Post #13 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jer, thanks. I'm happy to be involved...

anyway for those too lazy ;-) to go view the dirtections on the Routes DB page:

DIRECTIONS Take the Mass Pike (Route 90) to exit 11. Go south on Route 122 for more than 10 miles, to Rockdale. Take a left onto School St., follow that for 1.3 miles. Turn right onto Quaker St., and go for 1.1 miles. Fork right (still Quaker St.). The Parking for Lookout Rock is on the right, 1.2 miles further.
Alternate Route: From Mass Pike (Route 90) take I-495 south to Route 85. Follow Route 85 south about 1 mile to Route 16 west through Milford and Mendon. Just under a mile west of Mendon Center, bear right onto Hartford Ave. and travel for about 2.7 miles and turn right on Upton Rd. (which becomes Wolf Hill Rd.). Finally, go left on Quaker St. to the well-marked parking area on your left for “Lookout Rock”. From the parking lot (which is east of the rocks), hike in and to the left 200 yards to access the bottom of the cliffs. You can scramble up and down on either side or each crag. You can also park on Route 16 west of Upton just before crossing the Blackstone River. The rocks are a scenic 1mile hike from here, following a path on the east side of the river.

there ya go!

robbovius

Sep 3, 2003, 4:10 AM
Post #14 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi folks, here's the scoop on our activities for this coming saturday 9/6 (this info will also be posted to the NERockclub yahoo group).

The the cleanup starts at 10 am, and ends at 2 pm. Following that, people can climb, hike or explore, make a day of it, whatever you heart desires...for me, I'll probably throw a rope and get up a couple of routes.

The majority of the effort will revolve around

1. cleaning up the profuse amounts of broken glass and trash at the bases of the three main outcrops (East Crag, Center Crag, and Lookout Rock/West Crag)
2. sweeping various ledges free of pine needles and any broken glass accumulated there.
3. surveying and clearing what approach trails that we are allowed to clear. I have spoken with Park manager, John Pelczarski, today, and he explained that some of the trails going up and down over the crag (that we climbers will naturally use to hike up to set top ropes) are not official park trails, but he and I are going to do a survey earlier in the morning to decide which appraoch areas we can clear. From speaking with him, I got the impression that there are trails he'd like us to stick to, to keep erosion issues to a minimum...but there is some leeway. I'll inform everybody when we're there.

We'll be organized into three crews, one at each outcrop, top and bottom, working on the glass/trash pick up, and clearing the established trails to the crag bottoms. I'll likely have people who are familiar with the various crags and trails there to guide folks new to the area to the three outcrops and trails. There will be a sign-up sheet in the parking area for everyone to sign in, and to make it easy for me to send people to the various crags, instead of forgetting how many I'd sent where and winding up with everybody at one outcrop. ;-)

I am hopeful that we can get at least that much done in the four hours allotted. Once John and I do our survey I'll know what other trails we can clear as well, and assign folks to those tasks. I'd also like for us to do a bit of route cleaning (sweeping off ledges, perhaps some pruning of branches, removing sprouts from cracks where they occlude the route) but I will have to go over that with John P.

Ultimately, having hiked the crags a few times, and climbed there once, my opinion is that if we do is get 90% of the glass and trash picked up, we'll have made a major improvement to the area!

GEAR:

The Parks dept will supply trash bags, maybe some gloves, and a few rakes. I will also bring some rakes, and a couple stiff bristled brooms for sweeping the various ledges. I will make an effort to bring some more work gloves, but I'd advise everyone to head to the nearest hardware store and pick up a pair of those $1.39 brown cloth work gloves just to make sure you've got a pair in case there arent enough to go around. We'll also need some paint brushes and stiff plastic bristled cleaning brushes for getting the small shards out from rough rock surfaces, and in between boulders. I have a few, and will be bringing those as well.
From the items I've listed above, if you've got some you care to bring, feel free.

For trail clearing, I'm going to bring a bucksaw and a small chain saw, and John will be bringing a chainsaw as well, in case we need to clear any deadfall.

The weather right now is predicted to be aprtly cloudy, in the mid seventies, so I'd advise everyone to bring some bottled water, and maybe some snacks for the day as well. I'll have a couple big water jugs on hand just in case.

BOOTY!!!

Yep, for our good work, we're all gonna get some! There will be swag from REI and the Access Fund, including T-shirts, water bottles, and some stuff my REI contact describes as "other mniscellaneous merch" - mystery prizes, kewl~! - as well as possibly a raffle prize. there may also be a prize for the "weirdest trash item found" supplied by the Yahoo NERockclub group (Binerman, am I putting you on the spot here? ;-) I have that group message saved, heh!)

As far as a rain date, right now there isn't one, the weather prediction is looking good. If by chance, the weather worsens such that it look like it's going to pour all day or for most of the day, I will e-mail around, and post to the rockclimbing.com East Coast forum MASS CLIMBERS thread, the rockclimbing.com Access Issues forum Lookout Rock thread, and the NERockclub yahoo group. I'll post any cancellation by 8:00AM saturday morning. I will also give the cancellation info on my cel voicemail at 508-561-5808.

But just so you know, if it's only drizzling, I'm there...I'm not made of sugar, y'know.

That's the scoop folks! I would like to thank everyone who's helped me set this up, from what was initially only an innocent inquiry into directions to the place. Hey! How'd I wind up the organizer?

See you all there!

Robbovius

berger

Sep 3, 2003, 11:45 AM
Post #15 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Count me in Rob

Heading to the Wachusett Brew Fest at Wachusett Mountain after, Clutch Grabwell is playing, guaranteed good time!

See you all on Saturday

orangekyak

Sep 3, 2003, 8:53 PM
Post #16 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Finally, go left on Quaker St. to the well-marked parking area on your left for “Lookout Rock”. From the parking lot (which is east of the rocks), hike in and to the left 200 yards to access the bottom of the cliffs. You can scramble up and down on either side or each crag. You can also park on Route 16 west of Upton just before crossing the Blackstone River. The rocks are a scenic 1mile hike from here, following a path on the east side of the river.

Gee, I wonder which one will be known as The Climbers Lot.

robbovius

Sep 7, 2003, 11:48 PM
Post #17 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey folks, I want to thank you all again for showing up at Lookout Rock yesterday and making the clean up a huge success. I had no idea so many people would take an interest and come help out. Twice as many people showed up as I had guessed would. We made a huge improvement and should be justifiably proud of the work we did. The climbing afterwards was great as well...

I would like to personally thank (PLEASE Forgive me if I forget anyone),
Rich Doucette (For inadvertently talking me into getting involved in organizing this)
Jim Binerman
Tony
Jim's friend and son whose names I didn't get
Gribbin and Sarah from REI
John Pelszarski from the Parks department
Shane
Suzen
Jeremy
Chad
Jason
Yuliyah, Pascal and Vincent
Byron & linda
John Demers
Phil and his two friends who's names I didn't get.
JBclimbs & Debbie
Donna Levy
Dan
Mike
and the 5 other people whose names I didn't get...

Thanks, You guys are the BEST!

robbovius

Sep 8, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #18 of 18 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Binerman posted the photos he took during the cleanup at Lookout, here they are!

Some folks have been having problems with the link, unfiortunately it seems you gotta have a Yahoo account to view the photos ion the database...I'll see if I can come up with a work-around

follow the link, and click "Show All" at the bottom of the page. find the folder named "lookout"

you might need to sign up for an account...

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook