Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

mtnlvr

Aug 8, 2003, 11:35 PM
Post #51 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Re: August Climbing in Minnesota [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

el_capitan,

Thanks for the invite.....However, it is now 6:30 and you are hopefully all settled in at Welch. Actually, by the time you read this you'll have gotten you fix and be home I guess.

Anyway.....things came up and I wont be climbing till Sunday if the weather holds, and that'll be at T.F.

Belayz on!!

duskerhu

Aug 9, 2003, 5:25 AM
Post #52 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, for anyone interested, curt (who is currently from Arizona but formerly of MN) is in town this week and we are taking him out climbing at his old stomping grounds, Taylors Falls on Sunday (8/10).

We'll be meeting in the parking lot on the MN side at/by 9am and starting on the MN side. We'll probably also do some bouldering as Curt is big into his bouldering and probably eventually move on over to the WI side depending on the crowds.

If you don't make it right away in the morning, look for my vehicle (Red '94 Ford Explorer with a RC.com sticker on the back window) which will have a note on it as to where we are climbing.

duskerhu

mewalrus

Aug 9, 2003, 2:50 PM
Post #53 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be out at TF tomorrow also, but I will probably stick to the WI side as the last time on a Sunday the MN side sucked, WAY to packed. My plan is to head over to the Sentinel first thing in the morning.

Matt

boris_the_crazy

Aug 9, 2003, 8:52 PM
Post #54 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have fun at TF tomorrow, ya'll. I'll try to make it over there, if I do, I'll come find some of you. If I don't make it, though, have a great time.

Rock on!

pelliott

Aug 10, 2003, 3:17 AM
Post #55 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be there too. See you there.

twiz

Aug 10, 2003, 4:45 AM
Post #56 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sung-
Good to see you out at Red Wing today (YEs, for those of you who know me, you heard me right...I climbed at RED WING!). It was actually a great day. Not too hot at all and bugs were minimal to zilch until dusk.

Matt-
Sorry for the lack of correspondence the past week or so. Work has been extremely busy and stressful with one crisis after another. This is my last potentially stressful week. However I think it will be wind up being a piece of cake. Maybe this week I can make up for some of the climbing/bouldering I missed last week? I will send you a note in the next day or so.

old_school

Aug 10, 2003, 5:05 AM
Post #57 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all, as most of you know I always flake out whenever a trip comes up, but since im moving to Duluth at the end of the month to do the whole college thing, I would have to say that Id be very interested in climbing with you guys. I may not be in my dorms by then, but either way I think I would like to go up. :wink:

el_capitan

Aug 10, 2003, 4:35 PM
Post #58 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone up for Red Wing this week? I can be there by 6pm.

fo_d

Aug 11, 2003, 1:39 AM
Post #59 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

old_school we will be at the shore Aug 22-24 camping at Northern exposure campground (just south of Palisade) come on and climb with ius.

Les

Sung, not sure yet...maybe Wed.

duskerhu

Aug 11, 2003, 7:26 AM
Post #60 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well for all of you who weren't able to make it up to Taylors Falls today, we had a beautiful day of climbing!!!

Les and I were there first, shortly before 8am and our guest Curt rolled up not too long after. The only bummer part was, it was raining... Luckily, there weren't too many other climbers around as of yet so, we walked down to the Column area and set a couple ropes while we waited for it to quit rainning.

Before long, Matt and Ron showed up and then Patrick happened along. The 6 of us had a blast climbing a few routes and then Curt showed us some old boulder problems to finish us off.

Thanks Curt for giving us a helluva workout. Hopefully we'll get a chance to do it again sometime!

duskerhu

brianthew

Aug 11, 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #61 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all.

Due to my wonderful managers cutting shifts down to a skeleton crew at work, I've an absurd amount of time off of work later this month and wanna get out to do some climbing, climbing not at Devil's Lake; I'm getting almost sick of the place.

If anyone up there is up for some sport climbing at Red Wing or perhaps some quality bouldering out in the western areas of the state let me know. I'm free the 18th-21st and the 25th-28th; I'd like to do some camping to get in a few quality days of climbing in. Or, do a few back-to-back days at Red Wing since my wonderful sister might be letting me crash in her apartment in Minneapolis. I'm not all the keen on Taylor's, I just gotta get out and do some quality sport and/or quality bouldering, both things hard to come by in the Dairy State of mine.

Cheers,
Brian

pelliott

Aug 12, 2003, 1:03 PM
Post #62 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I concur with duskerhu. I also had a great time. I especially was happy about getting some serious beta on Slicksides. That thing has been a thorn in my side until Curt made easy work of it and showed us how it is done. 8)

It was really a treat to climb with Curt. I was really humbled also when Curt informed me that I had said in a previous online post that I would not climb with him. This just proves that you really have to weigh your words carefully online. Think carefully before you click on that "submit" button because it might come back to haunt you later. I almost missed a real learning experience by my own stupidity.

Thanks Curt for the climbing lesson and the lesson in life.

timart

Aug 12, 2003, 2:11 PM
Post #63 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Madriver, I have gotten the site up and running with links to other weekend trips.

I could use some good tips on composition for the pictures but they are getting better.

Any one that would like to see them send me an PM and I can give you the link.

Tim

mtnlvr

Aug 12, 2003, 4:48 PM
Post #64 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone......

Climbing Friday (15th) or Monday (18th) at T.F.? I'd like to go and I'm sick of toproping by myself. I'm a beginner as far as trad goes, but I've got a pretty good rack (not that kind) and have led 5.7 pretty comfortable. I'd like to push a little more and learn a little more from some veterans.

Let me know if you're interested and I can get your (or give my) contact info.

j_magnuson

Aug 12, 2003, 7:22 PM
Post #65 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sung (or anyone else),

Are you still thinking of climbing in Red Wing? I finally have a week where I am 100% guarenteed in writing of being able to make it there, either Wednesday or Thursday. Let me know.

Josh

curt

Aug 13, 2003, 3:53 AM
Post #66 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I concur with duskerhu. I also had a great time. I especially was happy about getting some serious beta on Slicksides. That thing has been a thorn in my side until Curt made easy work of it and showed us how it is done. 8)

It was really a treat to climb with Curt. I was really humbled also when Curt informed me that I had said in a previous online post that I would not climb with him. This just proves that you really have to weigh your words carefully online. Think carefully before you click on that "submit" button because it might come back to haunt you later. I almost missed a real learning experience by my own stupidity.

Thanks Curt for the climbing lesson and the lesson in life.

Pat,

I also had a great time climbing with you and everyone else. In fact getting back in touch with my climbing roots was so much fun that Dann and I are going back out tomorrow morning to hit some of the Wisconsin side stuff that we didn't get around to on Sunday.

Curt

tarkinton

Aug 13, 2003, 6:15 AM
Post #67 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi MN climbers.

I'm in town for a week and would love to climb with ya'all!

I was hoping to hit TF on the 15th (mtnlvr-- let's go!!) whoever is available, please drop a line.

I was also hoping to spend a few days in/near Duluth the 18th-21st, I will be bringing camping supplies... (Brian-- let's go!!) If anyone is free any of these dates, again, please drop a line.

I look forward to meeting & climbing with you's...

Aaron tarkinton@hotmail.com

duskerhu

Aug 13, 2003, 9:14 AM
Post #68 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I know this is last minute, but as curt mentioned, he and I are climbing at Taylors Falls on the WI side in the morning (Wed 8/13). If you want to join us, come on out (however, its late enough I'm sure no one will be able to). We'll be done by noon or 1300 though because we both have other commitments.

Friday... Sorry tarkinton and mtnlvr, I've been to TF twice in a row now and am going back to Barn Bluff on Friday morning. The good news however is that our local kurt is back from his road trip and we are meeting there, in, the morning,,, hopefully early. I'll be there about 0715 and crashing in my front seat until Kurt or someone wakes me up to climb. Kurt said he'd be there somewhere about 0900.

So, if you guys (tarkinton and mtnlvr) or anyone else want to climb at the bluff Friday morning, come on down.

And tarkinton, fo_d and I and a few others will be up on the North Shore the weekend of the 22nd, 23rd, & 24th if you're still in the area and want to meet up with us. PM me or post here if you're interested.

I think thats it for now...

duskerhu

el_capitan

Aug 13, 2003, 5:27 PM
Post #69 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh,
Sorry but I can't climb today or tomorrow. How about next week sometime?

j_magnuson

Aug 13, 2003, 7:39 PM
Post #70 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sung,

Next week is a bit busy for me, but maybe Wed. or Thurs. will work like this week. I'll know more around next monday.

Anyone Else up for Barn's tomorrow, Thursday at around 4-4:30?

Josh

mewalrus

Aug 14, 2003, 2:15 AM
Post #71 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone up for the North Shore this weekend?

I need to get some training in for my trip to Devils Tower next week and the N. Shore is the best place for it.

Somebody, Anybody, Please............
:wink: :wink: :wink:

Matt

duskerhu

Aug 14, 2003, 4:29 AM
Post #72 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno Matt, I climbed (or tried to) a crack at TF today that'd give you a bit of training for crazy off-widths...

Ya ever do Impossible Crack up there? OMFG!!! That thing is too big for double fists, too big for a knee jam (mine anyway), its a bit overhanging, there's very little on the face... I got a bit of a chicken wing in there and was able to inch up a bit, but then you run out of feet and have to get your knee up in there which of course, doesn't jam, and your too contorted to do a foot jam of any kind.

Man, that thing worked me over and I never did finish it...

But what a beautiful day, and we pretty much had the place to ourselves; until 3 guys strolled up and set up a rope as we were finishing for the day.

By the way, thanks for the workout again curt! Great to meet and climb with you. Hopefully I'll make it out to your neck of the woods someday soon.

duskerhu

jitterjepp

Aug 14, 2003, 6:42 PM
Post #73 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found myself with an abundance of free time during the week so I am looking for people to climb with at Taylors Falls. I can climb 5.8 - 5.9 but that doesn't mean I wont try anything harder. Email me at jitterjepp@aol.com

twiz

Aug 15, 2003, 5:53 AM
Post #74 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

awwwww, you dont want to climb with me jitterjepp? :cry:

harvey

Aug 15, 2003, 6:34 AM
Post #75 of 132 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Duskerhu,

I truely feel your pain about Impossible Crack! I am a farely solid 5.9 climber but I couldn't touch it. It is rated a 5.9+ but it is a sleeper.

To All,

I was jsut out in Idaho at the City of Rocks, if anyone has not been there I highly suggest it. Give yourself at least 2 days there and bring lots of cheeder flavored gold fish for all the daylight bandits :twisted: If you go there you will know what I mean.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook