RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

lazide

Aug 18, 2003, 3:19 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1014 views)
Shortcut

Practicing with the 2-1 hauling ratchet
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, took the kong block rolls out this weekend to a nearby cliff, and practiced dragging a LARGE BOULDER http://jesse.avlug.org/...3/dscn2413.thumb.jpg up the cliff http://jesse.avlug.org/...3/dscn2427.thumb.jpg(95ft or so) (don't worry, no rocks or squishy organic things where harmed in the process).

Some background - I have setup a 2-1 before, but using a pulley/rope grab that were seperate devices - so I was definitly looking forward to working out the kinks in the new setup.

- First haul
I setup an anchor totally in free space (big mistake - total pain in the ass without anything to push against/steady yourself against!), and setup the haul device arrangement incorrectly (PIC of setup). I had way too much cord in the 2-1 ratchet (lots of stretch), and too much static line between the 2-1 ratchet rope grab and the rope grab on the block roll. (block roll was too high)
After 3 1/2 HOURS (4 inches of actual lift per cycle, endless futzing around, and lots of flailing), I finally got the load (350+ lb rock) up and docked on the anchor. What a total CF!

- Second haul
After rapping the boulder back down, I moved my anchor so I stood on a nice ledge, with the hauling, etc device basically clear of the rock (but with the rope VERY slightly rubbing - oh well). MUCH better.
I of course didn't put the knot protector over the far-end hauler, because HEY, what could go wrong?
After getting the system tensioned up on the ground using the far end hauler (so I knew everything was hanging right, rigged properly, etc), I jugged up a (seperate) fixed line to get a hauling. I used basically the exact same 2-1/block roll setup as before for the beginning of the haul, and got about a 1 1/2 ft of rope in... then started getting a LOT of resistance!
I was already pretty close to the limits of the 2-1 for the weights involved (had to give it a good solid bounce to start things moving), so I figured there was some extra friction from the rock against a nearby boulder, and it would all be ok once it got past there... So I switched to a 3-1 haul near the top!
At first it worked like a charm, and I got another 1 1/2 - 2 ft of rope in (keep in mind this is a static rope)... And then the tension got so much that even bouncing on the 3-1, I wasn't able to get any more rope in.
As I didn't want to break anything (and the static line was SERIOUSLY tensioned), I rapped down to try to figure out the problem.
What had happened is the top edge of the rope grab on the block roll had gotten stuck on a tiny little ledge of this boulder http://jesse.avlug.org/...3/dscn2420.thumb.jpg(that it barely rested against), and had held even with all the tension on it. (need less to say, the knot protector went over it from then on). Once I figured it out, I got clear and gave a small tug sideways on the line, and *sproing*, the 350+ lb rock bounced up a good 3 ft. Amazing how much stretch is in static line..
After re-ascending to the hauling station, I redid the 2-1 hauling ratchet, replacing the loop of cord through the top of the top pulley (was visibly stretching on each stroke), and though still in-efficent, was able to get the load up and docked MUCH faster. Approx haul time (including freeing the load) - about 1 1/2 hours.

Third haul - this time, I lowered the block roll about 6-8 inches (using a spectra runner I tripled up - still didn't stretch), which GREATLY decreased the amount of cord in the 2-1 ratchet, and increased the real lift I was getting to approx 6 inches.

Total time to haul this time, including docking the load onto the anchors (which was taking me approx 10 mins), 30 minutes.

Fourth and final haul - This time I worked to maximize the real lifting length, and got the haul so at the bottom of the stroke, I was basically at a full squat with the ratchet rope grab right up against the bottom of the block roll rope grab. With this arrangement I was getting a solid 8 inches or so of real lift for each stroke. http://jesse.avlug.org/...3/dscn2429.thumb.jpg
That, coupled with getting a decent stride down resulting in getting the 350+ lb rock up to the anchor in 11 min, 30 seconds, and docked in about 15 mins.
I am fairly confident that I could get the real haul time down to ~8-10 mins in the future, as I took a decently long breather in the middle to rest.

Summary - if you don't have your act together, the 2-1 hauling ratchet SUCKS. If you have it even mostly optimized, it really cooks and allows you to quickly and efficently haul massive weights.

epic_ed

Aug 18, 2003, 9:37 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1014 views)
Shortcut

Re: Practicing with the 2-1 hauling ratchet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Excellent post! I can testify to the inefficiency of not having the hauling ratchet dialed. You put in a nice days effort working out the kinks. I'm probably going to do the same this weekend and give the ratchet one more shot. Excellent photos, too.

Ed

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook