RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

enigma

Aug 18, 2003, 7:03 PM
Post #1 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Ladies Only Climbing???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

--Seems that in the last two years I've only had a handful of female partners, of course the male partners are fine.
But I thought it would be great to have that all ladies energy going. Yesterday by accident I wandered into a group of ladies climbing. It was great, now I've been invited to a couple of trips in the future. I will also say that it will hopefully give me more confidence in some of my skill areas that are often done by the guy I'm climbing with. :wink:

For Ladies, do any of you regularly climb with a women's group???? How has it been compared to a mixed group????

gretchino

Aug 18, 2003, 7:40 PM
Post #2 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ladies Only Climbing??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've not had the pleasure of climbing with woman at all. I'd love to though! I think it would really help my confidence and skill levels...

maculated

Aug 18, 2003, 8:13 PM
Post #3 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The women I climb with have never had the "get to it" attitude I do. I try to hammer out as much climbing as possible but the women I've climbed with have always been a bit hesitant or too relaxed.

That said, I'm not one for the "women only" crowd. This being mainly because I spent way too much time in a sorority and too many ladies in one place is too much for me. I take pride that I'm involved in things that aren't commonplace to women (used to be a tech support rep, climbing, etc), and I don't need other women's support to continue.

krave

Aug 18, 2003, 11:34 PM
Post #4 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd have to both agree and disagree with Maculated. While I know and have climbed with women who are not motivated to accomplish goals and are happy hanging around on 5.9's for years and not improving much, I have also met great women who are intensely motivated and are pushing the envelope of what they can do. Climbing with these women can be a more satisfying experience for me then climbing with men like this, due to what can often be an overly testosterone filled enviroment. That said, there aren't many of these sorts of women out there.

I'd have to say I prefer climbing with motivated people. Period.

gblauer

Aug 19, 2003, 1:32 AM
Post #5 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I typically climb with all men. I always think that I am the one pushing the pace (speed, not necessarily difficulty). I rarely climb with women, as such, I would like to go to the sheclimbs.org event in North Conway, new hampshire this year. It is an all women, annual climbing event. Anyone going?

hstewart

Aug 19, 2003, 2:12 AM
Post #6 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd have to both agree and disagree with Maculated. While I know and have climbed with women who are not motivated to accomplish goals and are happy hanging around on 5.9's for years and not improving much, I have also met great women who are intensely motivated and are pushing the envelope of what they can do. Climbing with these women can be a more satisfying experience for me then climbing with men like this, due to what can often be an overly testosterone filled enviroment. That said, there aren't many of these sorts of women out there.

I agree completely. When you find those women who are pushing the envelope, they make awesome partners. I can relate to them on a whole different level than the guys. The one female partner I had that fit this bill just moved. :(

gblauer--I was thinking of attending the sheclimbs event in North Conway, but isn't it one flat fee for the whole weekend? Can you opt out of some parts or is it a package deal?

moabbeth

Aug 19, 2003, 4:49 AM
Post #7 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Women...men...as long as they climb and love it I really don't make a big differentiation. Is it nice to have other women around the crag sometimes? Hell yeah. I've really enjoyed clmibing with Melissa (iamthewallress) and Meg (rosearie) and look forward to climbing more with them respetively. I credit Melissa with getting me up some of my harder climbs to date (Lazy Bum, Bummer/5.10c/d) thanks to her energy and encouragement. It is nice to have some girl power behind you sometimes.

mreardon

Aug 19, 2003, 2:58 PM
Post #8 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With me, my daughter onsights 5.8, with women (particularly other girls her age), she onsights 10+. Pretty simple math to understand.

sarahmonster

Aug 19, 2003, 10:56 PM
Post #9 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only really climbed with guys and would really love to climb with some women. I'm really motivated but handicapped by the fact that I don't have much besides a harness and shoes and don't know how to set anything up. But I REALLY want to learn. Anybody willing to do a little teaching?

krave

Aug 20, 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #10 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would suggest that you go to your local gym and take a course in leading, or anchor set up. Also, the guys your climbing with would probably be willing to set you up for your first lead.

I can honestly say due to experience that it is more fun to climb with experienced people then spend days teaching people to climb.

Get out there girl and take charge of your own climbing experience. quit waiting/begging someone to teach you and read up, take a course or two, and get yourself some experience. You can do it!!

moabbeth

Aug 20, 2003, 5:06 AM
Post #11 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="krave"]I would suggest that you go to your local gym and take a course in leading, or anchor set up. Also, the guys your climbing with would probably be willing to set you up for your first lead.
In reply to:

Oh man, don't tell a SoCal'er to go to the gym...she lives in Tarzana, she's got plenty of outside options :wink: . Gyms SUCK!!

If she wants to learn sport leads, she can go up to Williamson pretty much any weekend and get on those easy 5.6's. I learned sport leads out there, it's a good place to learn. She's also got Echo Cliffs nearby with good sport routes. And Joshua Tree season is just around the corner for trad. You can't learn trad in a gym.

jt512

Aug 20, 2003, 4:47 PM
Post #12 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh man, don't tell a SoCal'er to go to the gym...she lives in Tarzana, she's got plenty of outside options :wink: . Gyms SUCK!!

If she wants to learn sport leads, she can go up to Williamson pretty much any weekend and get on those easy 5.6's. I learned sport leads out there, it's a good place to learn. She's also got Echo Cliffs nearby with good sport routes. And Joshua Tree season is just around the corner for trad. You can't learn trad in a gym.

True, you can't learn trad in a gym, but you can meet people and get strong in a gym. In fact, you can get stronger more quickly in a gym than you can outdoors. That's one reason that, even though there is an abundance of rock in SoCal, strong climbers still visit their local gyms.

-Jay

krave

Aug 20, 2003, 5:50 PM
Post #13 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I agree that outside is the best place to learn, the girl is asking people to teach her online. She also asks to be taught in her profile. She obviously does not know many people to go outside and lead with. My suggestion was that she take her learning into her own hands instead of waiting for someone else to do it for her. As Jay pointed out the gym is definitely a place where she can meet people too.

moabbeth

Aug 21, 2003, 4:11 AM
Post #14 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I started out climbing outside, Jay. I knew no one when I started out and was able to come far since then. I found a couple of free clubs, made some contacts at the crags, found good people to mentor me and I've been fine. I didn't need a gym to get me to where I am. Believe it or not, it IS possible to become a competant, safe climber from newbie scratch without ever setting foot in a gym.

This sport existed for DECADES without those things, and now some climbers act like the sport couldn't go on without them. Are they a good place to train? Yeah, if that's what you're into. Are they they required attendance for new climbers wishing to learn the sport?? SHEEIT NO!!! I am living proof that you can learn plenty and excel without ever needing to go into one of those pits.

And geez...learning to lead sport climb in a gym...really all it is is just making clips, learning to fall and getting your focus under control. It's not like they're in the gym building their own bombproof top anchors like they would learning OUTSIDE...where you do want to be properly taught cause otherwise you could die. Gyms for training? Makes sense. Gyms for learning everything you can about climbing? Nonsense. Not when you have the opportunity to be out on the real thing.

jt512

Aug 21, 2003, 4:34 AM
Post #15 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, I started out climbing outside, Jay.

Well, so did I.

In reply to:
I found a couple of free clubs...

In general, climbing with a club is a good way to ensure you never progress beyond mediocrity. I'm sure that somewhere there are clubs that are exceptions, but generally club climbers are beginners or climbers who climb like beginners. Clubs are good for people who want to climb for social reasons, but that's about all. I've also yet to see a club where I'd consider the majority of the members safe, though I've seen plenty that go through the motions.

In reply to:
I didn't need a gym to get me to where I am.

Without disclosing "where you are" we have no way of evaluating whether your progress would have been faster or slower had you trained in a gym.

In reply to:
Believe it or not, it IS possible to become a competant, safe climber from newbie scratch without ever setting foot in a gym.

Obviously it is. What I said is that is that you can get faster stronger by training in a gym than by climbing outdoors.

In reply to:
I am living proof that you can learn plenty and excel without ever needing to go into one of those pits.

Once again, I think you need to quantify "excel" before we can ascertain the truth of your statement. How long have you been climbing, and how hard do you lead sport, lead trad, and boulder?

In reply to:
Gyms for training? Makes sense. Gyms for learning everything you can about climbing?

I never said otherwise. Why the tantrum?

-Jay

climber1

Aug 21, 2003, 4:59 AM
Post #16 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, I started out climbing outside, Jay. I knew no one when I started out and was able to come far since then. I found a couple of free clubs, made some contacts at the crags, found good people to mentor me and I've been fine. I didn't need a gym to get me to where I am. Believe it or not, it IS possible to become a competant, safe climber from newbie scratch without ever setting foot in a gym.

This sport existed for DECADES without those things, and now some climbers act like the sport couldn't go on without them. Are they a good place to train? Yeah, if that's what you're into. Are they they required attendance for new climbers wishing to learn the sport?? SHEEIT NO!!! I am living proof that you can learn plenty and excel without ever needing to go into one of those pits.

And geez...learning to lead sport climb in a gym...really all it is is just making clips, learning to fall and getting your focus under control. It's not like they're in the gym building their own bombproof top anchors like they would learning OUTSIDE...where you do want to be properly taught cause otherwise you could die. Gyms for training? Makes sense. Gyms for learning everything you can about climbing? Nonsense. Not when you have the opportunity to be out on the real thing.
So moabbeth, how do you really feel about gyms?

rockwomyn

Aug 21, 2003, 5:01 PM
Post #17 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512-

why the need to be so damn nit pickey. :? we are all entitled to our own opinion, eh????? Relax!
:wink:

krave

Aug 21, 2003, 5:27 PM
Post #18 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, there is more then one way to skin a cat, or to become a knowlegable climber. It seems you both went different routes to get where you are, and you both think your way is the best way. And it was, for you.

You can get strong with or without gyms. You can meet people to climb with in and out of gyms. There are clinics that teach techniques such as leading and anchor placement in and out of gyms.

THis is all off topic, and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to create a firestorm, just to suggest that the young lady take her learning into her own hands.

jt512

Aug 21, 2003, 6:27 PM
Post #19 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
jt512-

why the need to be so damn nit pickey. :? we are all entitled to our own opinion, eh????? Relax!

Sorry, but I don't think I'm being nitpickey at all.

-Jay

rockwomyn

Aug 21, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #20 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
jt512-

-Jay

Okay...I guess condescending would be better. :shock:

jt512

Aug 21, 2003, 8:48 PM
Post #21 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
jt512-

-Jay

Okay...I guess condescending would be better. :shock:

I apologize if I sounded condescending. However, I stand by statement that climbing clubs are dead end roads to be avoided if you want to excel at climbing, and that gym climbing will accelerate your learning.

-Jay

debsanders

Aug 22, 2003, 7:09 PM
Post #22 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Jay aren't you a GUY . . .

Back to the question. I climb with a group of women. We call ourselves the Gri-Gri Sisterhood. We even have a wall at one of our local crags named after us.

What I like about climbing with women as opposed to men, is that my friends and I are shorter than my male partners (son, husband, & slew of friends) so we make similar moves. We also have that "not as strong as men" thing going, so we have to climb smarter to make some of the moves. It is more fun solving rock puzzles with women.

I also think that most women are more encouraging than men. Although some of my male parters are very encouraging. My gri-gri friends don't let me slake off and I don't let them. We don't allow excuses like, "I'm so tired', or "what a horrible day I had".

If you have the opportunity to climb with just the chicks, make it happen, you will have a great time.

unabonger

Aug 24, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #23 of 23 (3092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I think it takes balls to only climb with ladies.

Luckily, I have two of them, (balls, that is.) and I find myself climbing in groups of women frequently. It's a swell way to go.

The lucky UnaBonger

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook