RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

theclimber

Aug 19, 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #1 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Ice Climbing in Arkansas
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone know anything about Ice Climbing in Arkansas??? Any beta, directions, etc, etc?????

bsignorelli

Aug 19, 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #2 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ice Climbing in Arkansas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its freaking hot here right now....thanks for the mental imagery....ice climbing...in August....only 2 hours from my home....

:lol:

Bryan :)

tenn_dawg

Aug 20, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #3 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're probably going to be SOL there buddy. Sorry to say it, but the climate in the Arkansas region isin't very conducive to good Ice climbing.

Still, you may get lucky and have a cold snap after some rainfall and get a little. Don't count on it though...

Travis

moabbeth

Aug 20, 2003, 12:17 AM
Post #4 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Huh?? :shock: :shock:

I think you're gonna need to get in your car and head to Colorado for your closest quality ice climbing. I don't think I know any other ice climbers who associate the sport with the state of Arkansas. Alaska? Yes. Arkansas? No.

theclimber

Aug 20, 2003, 2:30 PM
Post #5 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jesus H people dont you think I freakin know that you cant climb freakin ice in August!?!?!?!?!

This message was for anyone living in Arkansas or nearby that has had some access to ice climbing during the """"COLD"""" winter months in arkansas, you know, like the freaking ice storm we had about two years ago. We have access to ice here in oklahoma during the winter months, albeit, not much but we have it, so I just popped the question.

P.S. I am not looking to expect anything like Ouray with 9 feet thick ice.....I am just wanting something to break a sweat on so use your heads when replying please!

rhu

Aug 20, 2003, 2:45 PM
Post #6 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The user talons05 mentioned something about it to me last year some time. I am not sure, but for some reason I got the impression that he was going to climb some ice here in AR. We did not get into it too much but you might try to get in touch with him.

coconutz

Aug 21, 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #7 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bo.............I'm hurt you didn't ask me :lol: seriously there is ice in arkansas whit similar conditions to at home. I.E. snow/rain followed by a short warm spell then a wicked cold snap like we have had the last couple of years. Below freezing for three days. I have climberd ice there on 5 seperate occasions and years, probably FAs but who cares cause your drytooling 40 feet of .11 to make 10 or 12 moves on a thin smear or little hanging cicle.
shoot me a PM and I'll give you the info
in hoc sucka

moabbeth

Aug 21, 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #8 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jesus H people dont you think I freakin know that you cant climb freakin ice in August!?!?!?!?!
P.S. I am not looking to expect anything like Ouray with 9 feet thick ice.....I am just wanting something to break a sweat on so use your heads when replying please!

Well then, you should have been MUCH more specific in your original post. If you would have said this in the first place you wouldn't have got the answers you did.

And you don't have to be so snippy about it. If you ask a very general question and people are kind enough to answer, you don't have to be such an unappreciative jerk about it.

And FYI if you're looking for some little quarter inch thick layer of frost on some rocks as YOUR version of "ice climbing", it's not...that's mixed climbing, if that. I am using my head to tell you that if you want TRUE "ice climbing", you ain't gonna find it in Arkansas goofball!!! :P :P

chuckd278

Aug 21, 2003, 1:38 AM
Post #9 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might try Lake Lincoln or avery drive in Tulsa. Both are usually just smears, but sometimes you can catch it at wi2 for a few days.

Chuck

xcit

Aug 21, 2003, 1:47 AM
Post #10 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I talked to Chad last year at horseshoe after a pretty good snow last winter and they were able to climb some ice there. He did state that it did not freeze good enough to be considered great ice climbing but you could use your crampons and ice axes. As mentioned above lake lincoln would have a little ice climbing, there are a lot of black water streaks that come off the bluff and would be pretty cool ice climbs if it froze good enough.

theclimber

Aug 21, 2003, 3:31 AM
Post #11 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moabeth??

I apologize for being "non-specific" -

(Looking to find some frozen water of which to climb by no means other than Ice tools and crampons in the southern region of the United States more specifically located in a state and even more specifically the state having a name by which it goes by Arkansas. Within this specific state called arkansas I am looking for anyone with beta, oops, sorry, information regarding the details of any ice route in whch one would climb by no other means than that of using ice tools and crampons. Carefully and quite delicately noted more specifically by moabeth that those means will require a bit of dry tooling which I carelessly mistook as being common sense. This climbing by way of a frozen tier of water would most likely be into the cold winter months of the south which usually disperses precipitation then quite a cold spell folowed by precipitation. If anyone has any beta, damn, information as to any climbs that usually freeze up during this so called cold spell please fill me in as I am interested in making a journey to this fine state referenced above as being arkansas to climb these ice routes. My goal in doing so is just to check it out and break a sweat. Please note that I am not out souly looking for world class ice as I am well aware that the great state of colorado already has a plethora of these world class routes but rather get a nice workout thats within reasonable driving distance of the author.)

My apologies to moabeth as I figured when I mentioned the state of Arkansas I would probably get some responses from people either within the state of Arkansas or nearby.

TED - I am going to shoot you a PM - You know I wouldnt tread out there without letting you know when! In Hoc brother!

gravitysucks

Aug 21, 2003, 4:03 AM
Post #12 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when you guys figger out where it is, lemme know. i'll buy Ted's dog a sweater, his girl an extra layer of Patagonia and we'll all meet you out there and take turns spotting each other for the wicked dozen on a chintzy pillar.

:roll: :? :shock: :wink:

moabbeth

Aug 21, 2003, 4:31 AM
Post #13 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Geez dude, a simple "sorry, I shoulda been more specific" would have been a lot easier to type. :roll:

oudinardin

Aug 21, 2003, 7:32 AM
Post #14 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone know anything about Ice Climbing in Arkansas??? Any beta, directions, etc, etc?????
Kinda rippin ya one, huh? Moab beth, your from Cali right, and spend some time in Moab, like myself. Have you been to Arkansas in the dead of winter after a rainfall, lasting throughout the night, reaping the small rewards later one early morning? I lived in N.C. and spent some time in the south with my climbing problem and there is ice to be found. WI 3, if your lucky, but it's there. I found a few drainages in the Fort Smith State Park, as well as areas near Hot Springs, but man it was cold. The smallest of crags can spill over and depending on a TR it can be climbed. As for N.C. there is quite a bit, nothing big but enough to cramp on. It's like "Smear Today, Gone Tomorrow", down in Hyalite Mt.,... you have to look... or move. Good luck to ya!

oudinardin

Aug 21, 2003, 7:38 AM
Post #15 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am now a Red Point Maniac. Funny, After not climbing at "my limit" for several weeks, the other day I went out and did redpoint a 5.12 overhang despite the need for surgery on my shoulder. I'm friggin rockin in my old age! 8)

theclimber

Aug 21, 2003, 2:47 PM
Post #16 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the beta everyone! It will help me in locating some ice in the area. Your replies are appreciated.

pico23

Sep 2, 2003, 4:35 AM
Post #17 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're probably going to be SOL there buddy. Sorry to say it, but the climate in the Arkansas region isin't very conducive to good Ice climbing.

Still, you may get lucky and have a cold snap after some rainfall and get a little. Don't count on it though...

Travis

(not directed specifically at anyone) Wow you people are all ignorant (don't feel bad I'm ignorant too :D ). First off Arkansas has abundant waterfalls and decent ground water seepage. The problem is the state has a latitude and altitude deficiency.

For the naysayers there is actually occasionally ice in this otherwise temperate state as there is in much of the south. Typically North West Arkansas gets 2-3 weeks of real winter. This typically coincides with a dip in the jetstream allowing cold air to hit the state. The rest of the winter is usually pretty mild with 50-60 degree days being common and below freezing days being rare. I believe the record for snowfall in Fayetteville was 13" at once. In my 5 years there I only say 20-30inches of snow with none on the ground lasting more then 48 hours. The upside is the northwestern corner typically rides right on the jetstream so cold air hitting the upper corner is more likely.

I've actually been camped out overnight in Arkansas and had a creek freeze solid during the night. The hollows tend to be deep allowing the possibility of ice forming overnight and not melting out during the day. The problem isn't it getting really cold but it remaining cold long enough. As with all southern climbing (think NC and GA) the ice will be thin by northeastern standards at it's peak. You might get a few days of climbing in Arkansas and you typically need to climb it at night by headlamp.

If I can find my ice climbing spots somewhere on my computer I will post them. A few were north of fayetteville near lake weddington. I can tell you all were in the Ozark Mountains and that will be your best bet for finding ice. The Ouchitas are way too dry even in the wetter years to yield much.

As someone said Colorado isn't too far. About 10 hours or so. Illinois is closer and actually occasionally has some ice, North Carolina and Georgia have some good but thin ice as well. Get the book Shades of Grey: Guide to Southern Ice Climbing. It might be out of print but can be easily found.

Good luck.

pico23

Sep 2, 2003, 4:37 AM
Post #18 of 18 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, give Pack Rat in fayetteville a call they are pretty knowlegdable and should be able to give you more specifics then me. Pack Rat is by far my favorite outdoor store. Are they still having that killer spring blowout sale every year that people would camp out for? That was a great shop, I hope it hasn't been diluted like most other outdoor stores.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook