Premier Sponsor:

skibabeage
Deleted

Jul 2, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

climber1

Jul 2, 2003, 9:45 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Re: Great quotes by women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"it's not how many 5.10's you've led, it's how many 5.10 leaders you've laid"- Bev Johnson. :P

dirtineye

Jul 2, 2003, 10:45 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"The old theory was, marry an older man, they're more mature. The new theory is, men don't mature, marry a young one."-- Rita Ruddner

I should know, 47 and no sign of maturity yet, thank god!

iamthewallress

Jul 2, 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"The old theory was, marry an older man, they're more mature. The new theory is, men don't mature, marry a young one."-- Rita Ruddner

How about the Steinham gem "A woman needs a husband like a fish needs a bicycle."

moabbeth

Jul 3, 2003, 12:33 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"It goes, boys" - Lynn Hill after her solo ascent of the Nose

iamthewallress

Jul 3, 2003, 11:15 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
How about the Steinham gem "A woman needs a husband like a fish needs a bicycle."

Amen, sistuh! I'll take a bicycle anyday anyhoo - at least if it goes flat I can pump it up! :lol:

I guess need is the operative word though...I have to admit that I'd pick my guy over a fish or a bicycle any day. :oops: Still...I've known too many women who thought that getting married by some predetermined age was necessary to maintain ownership of their womanhood. :roll:

angelaa

Jul 28, 2003, 9:53 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are a TON of Women climbing quotes - beware this might take awhile to read!

Women Climber Quotes
"Rocks make no compromise for sex... rock climbing is not like some sports, where it is made easier for women; or sports like, say, softball, which is only baseball for soft people. On a rock, everything is equal." - Beverly Johnson.

"No, she's the leader of our climb." - Colin Grissom in response to a german who asked if Kitty Calhoun was the base camp manager on the way up to Dhaulagiri.

"I taught my mother to climb. And she gets nervous sometimes. She'll yell: 'let me down'. That's a tough one. You never want to let your mother down." - Nancy Feagin.

"Non Mademoiselle, pas possible !" - 19th Century Hotel Staff to Lily Barstow after being told that she just climbed the Rothhorn without guides.

"They heard I had climbed a few mountains in Alaska. They said it would be a better movie if they had a girl it in." - Barbara Washburn on including her in a promotional documentary film about climbing Denali in 1947, as a gimmick to promote the Hollywood feature film, The White Tower.

"I can't remember a single time that I was prevented from doing what I wanted because I was a female, either on the rock or in the mountains." - Annie Whitehouse.

"We knew that a failure on the first women's attempt on El Cap would be a fiasco we could never live down." - Sibylle Hechtel after climbing the Triple Direct with Bev Johnson.

"I was quaking in my boots." - Lynn Hill after dropping a crucial stopper on the crux pitch during her free ascent of El Cap's Nose in a day.

"Height has nothing to do with it, it is your strength that counts." - Lynn Hill about her free ascent of the Nose.

"Of course, the first all-female ascent of Midnight Lightning was a huge coup, as Lynn was obviously aware. In fact, to make the ascent seem all the more valid, she even had her belayer (John Bachar) dress up in women's lingerie." - Kelly Rich.

"If someone were to ask me to quit climbing because they love me so much and doesn't want to lose me, I'd be out the door so fast, that someone wouldn't have time to say adios." - Inez Drixelius.

"Every critter does what feels good, I guess. Pigs roll in mud, Scott climbs, Inez rolls in mud and climbs. I think it is simple Biology." - Inez Drixelius.

"I did the twenty-three-hour Nose route to the top of El Capitan in eighteen hours and twenty-three minutes, I can get over this." - Avery Bishop (Kelly Preston) responding to Jerry Maquire (Tom Cruise) after calling off their engagement.

"The masculine mind, however is, with rare exceptions, imbued with the idea that a woman is not a fit comrade for steep ice or precipitous rock, and, in consequence, holds it as an article of faith that her climbing should be done by Mark Twain's method, and that she should be satisfied with watching through a telescope some weedy and invertebrate masher being hauled up a steep peak by a couple of burly guides, or by listening to this same masher when, on his return, he lisps out with a Sickening drawl the many perils he has encountered." - Mrs. A F. Mummery.

"In common with many women, I felt that the Dolomites were made to suit me with their small but excellent toe- and finger-holds, and pitches where a delicate sense of balance was the key, rather than brute force. While it helps, of course, to have tough muscles, the prizefighter would not necessarily make a fine Dolomite climber. But the ballet dancer might." - Mirium Underhill.

"On the first morning, I took them up Middlefell Buttress: five of us, all on one rope. It was slow, cold and boring. They climbed faster than I did, surrounded with an almost visible aura of masculine resentment. So I took them to Gwynne's Chimney on Pavey Ark, and as they struggled and sweated in that smooth cleft, sparks flying from their nails, and me waiting at the top with a taut rope and a turn round my wrist, I knew that I had won. The atmosphere - when we were all together again - was clean and relaxed." - Gwen Moffat.

"Climbing is like a brain enema. It just cleans all the crap out of your head." - Emily.

"It is very important for women to climb with other women." - Zoe Bundros.

"If one more person says to me: 'Wow, you climb, and you don't have a boyfriend?' I'm gonna hurl. What am I supposed to say in response to that: 'Well, I have a really lousy personality' ?" - Kellie.

"I came up to help you with your pack, but it looks like you don't need any help." - John Roskelley to Deborah Waterman at 17,800 feet on Denali.

"A Woman's Place Is on Top." - T-shirt from first American woman's ascent of Annapurna.

"The essence of climbing is not limited to those out there making a name for themselves." - Lois LaRock.

"I've never noticed that being a woman is a handicap or a plus. I am a woman and there are men and we climb together. Sometimes I'm stronger, sometimes they're stronger - we motivated each other." - Robyn Erbesfield.

"It begs the question who is the one being entertained ? The guys like to look at the girls, so they think that they win, but we get to look at a whole selection of guys who are often willing to take us climbing at times and places that our experience may not merit were we just another guy." - Melissa.

"I have left and retired for good unless it becomes an Olympic sport and then I'd like to make a comeback." - Robyn Erbesfield.

"I am too slow to be a good climber, so I film instead." - Wanda Rutkiewicz who has climbed many 8000m peaks, often without oxygen.

"The fact that I'm three months pregnant doesn't change anything." - Catherine Destivelle preparing to solo the Old Man of Hoy seastack.

"I can't understand why men make all this fuss about Everest - it's only a mountain." - Junko Tabei, first woman to climb Everest.

"Reaching that windswept perch, I decided, would cleanse my spirit and heal my wounds. More than that, it would send me home with a title: The First American Woman to Climb Everest." - Stacy Allison.

"Hi, this is Annie. I can't meet with you this week because I'm off to Patagonia. I decided to go just today - I'll be in touch when I get back." - Annie Whitehouse's answering machine.

gretchino

Jul 29, 2003, 4:18 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Life is either a glorious adventure or it is nothing at all" ~ Hellen Keller

Such an inspirational woman....

holly_rocks

Aug 7, 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be able to treat life as art. -Maya Angelou

You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you. -Barbara Sher

Success is not a destination that you ever reach. Success is the quality of your journey. -Jennifer James

And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more. -Erica Jong

What we are on the inside, what we continually think about, eventually shows in our words, actions, and even our countenances. -Linda Dillow

When we travel life's roads with those we love, the point of destination is always secondary to the quality of the journey. -Mary Prince

Fun has a sacred dimension. -Julia Cameron

When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid. -Audre Lorde

The amount of good luck coming your way depends on your willingness to act. -Barbara Sher

When you play it too safe, you're taking the biggest risk of your life...Time is the only wealth we're given. -Barbara Sher

You must go after your wish. As soon as you start to pursue a dream, your life wakes up and everything has meaning. -Barbara Sher

'Now' is the operative word. Everything you put in your way is just a method of putting off the hour when you could actually be doing your dream. You don't need endless time and perfect conditions. Do it now. Do it today. -Barbara Sher

Instead of frittering away your vibrancy with worry or distraction, realize your mind and body are inextricably united. What calms and tones up one, soothes and improves the other. -Marsha Sinetar

We first must think "I can," then behave appropriately along that line of thought. - Marsha Sinetar

It never occurs to me that there are things that I can't do. -Whoopi Goldberg

You may feel like dwelling on your limits or your fears. Don't do it...A perfect prescription for a squandered, unfulfilled life is to accommodate self-defeating feelings while undercutting your finest, most productive ones. - Marsha Sinetar

Expressing your enthusiasms can add years of creative life to your time on earth. - Marsha Sinetar

Should you shield the valleys from the windstorms, you would never see the beauty of their canyons. -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

All the water in the world cannot drown you -- unless it gets inside. -Mary Manin Boggs

You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with the best you have to give. -Eleanor Roosevelt

One only gets to the top rung on the ladder by steadily climbing up one at a time, and suddenly, all sorts of powers, all sorts of abilities which you thought never belonged to you--suddenly become within your own possibility and you think, "Well, I'll have a go, too." -Margaret Thatcher

unabonger

Aug 23, 2003, 2:13 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"They're real, and they're FANtastic!

-Terri Hatcher, on Seinfeld

The corrigible Unabonger

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook