RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

danbensen

Aug 26, 2003, 12:35 PM
Post #1 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Re: Risky allergies and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Get this, I'm extremely allergic to novacaine...more specifically an ingredient in novacaine. What I can take is hard to find/get so when I was younger, I can remember getting stitches w/o anything (the worst was 12 stitches at once). But now, I've put a little note in my wallet that's very obvious when you open it that reads (in big letters) "Allergic to Xylocaine"

if you're conscientious about wearing a band/braclet in public, this might be an alternative for you

not to be a dick, but I believe most everyone uses lydocaine (unsure on the spelling) instead of novacaine these days, its just always referred to as being novacaine because everyone recognizes the name, and the effects are virtually the same.

jonoj

Aug 8, 2003, 8:44 AM
Post #2 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Risky allergies and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone got any ideas on this?

I'm allergic to morphine, codiene and all derivatives (bummer), and was wondering what should happen if I have a climbing accident and am rendered unconcious. The first thing medics would do, I guess, if the injuries were serious, would be to pump me full of morphine, which would probably kill me, if the fall hadn't already :shock:

There are various necklace and/or bracelet available to inform medics of any allergies etc, but I find fiddly little things like that a hinderence when climbing. If the accident was serious enough, they probably wouldn't stay attached to me anyway.

I was thinking of having a tatoo done, perhaps on my wrist where the bracelet would normally be, describing the situation! Haha, but then maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get a 'too! :wink:

Wadday'all think? Anyone out there in a similar situation?

Cheers
Jono

ryanhos

Aug 8, 2003, 2:08 PM
Post #3 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just always inform your partner of your condition. A climbing party is at least two, is it not? Most of the accidents I've read are only single person accidents. If you have an accident where both of you deck, you're probably not going to need to worry about allergies anymore.

Paramedics probably wouldn't read a tatoo on your wrist and jewelry might come off or simply impede your progress on the wall.

If you're still seriously worried about it, get a piece of bright pink cloth, sharpie the message on it and stitch it to some non-load-bearing part of your harness. They've gotta take (cut) your harness off to evacuate you anyway. Somebody will notice it.

cthcrockclimber

Aug 8, 2003, 2:14 PM
Post #4 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you wear a helmet maybe you could write it on that or something.

redpoint73

Aug 8, 2003, 2:26 PM
Post #5 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're right about a bracelet getting in the way while climbing. But a necklace should be fine, especially if it is tucked inside your shirt. You'd be surprised at how things stay put during climbing or after falls. I have gone climbing all day, taking pretty sizeable whippers, then later realized that I had car keys or spare change in my pockets. Maybe just attach the tag with some cord, instead of a chain so that the chain doesn't rub against your skin.

Many accidents involve one person, such as the leader falling or the belayer being struck by rockfall. But accidents do happen that render both or all members of the party non-responsive. Or your partner might become injured while he is trying to rescue you. Having your partner aware of your allergies is a great idea, but you should have some medical jewelry as a back-up if you are really concerned.

jonoj

Aug 11, 2003, 7:32 AM
Post #6 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you wear a helmet maybe you could write it on that or something.

Haha, cool - I'll find some dayglo paint!! ..... hmm, talk about being labled though! :lol:

bumblesbounce

Aug 11, 2003, 3:03 PM
Post #7 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Simple put medical tag. BUT remember that Doctors just don't put IV's in you and start a million and one meds... and usually if they do they search all around for a medical tag or something because like you say and many are you put this in my body when I'm already half dead I'm good as dead...
- Fawn -

sticky_fingers

Aug 11, 2003, 3:20 PM
Post #8 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get this, I'm extremely allergic to novacaine...more specifically an ingredient in novacaine. What I can take is hard to find/get so when I was younger, I can remember getting stitches w/o anything (the worst was 12 stitches at once). But now, I've put a little note in my wallet that's very obvious when you open it that reads (in big letters) "Allergic to Xylocaine"

if you're conscientious about wearing a band/braclet in public, this might be an alternative for you

bumblesbounce

Aug 11, 2003, 3:29 PM
Post #9 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem with that is... EMTs don't usually look in Wallets. You could put something on a necklace and hide it. But don't worry - It could save your life...

PS - that has to suck being allergic to novicane - ouchies at the denist

sticky_fingers

Aug 11, 2003, 3:37 PM
Post #10 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always wondered about that. My mom is a nurse and she's the one who recommended I put it in my wallet, with the thought that if I'm unresponsive and someone's searching my body for ID, when they find my wallet they'll see my allergy info right away. I think this was in lieu of me wearing a braclet/necklace during my teens....

Fortunately, my dentist knows my allergies so that hasn't been a problem. What has been a problem though, are emergency room visits to smaller hospitals that aren't stocked with "carbocaine"...rambo-style

emtclimber

Aug 11, 2003, 4:27 PM
Post #11 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your rendered unconscious, we usually won't give you much for pain control, but I would definitely suggest a chain around your neck since a bracelet would get in the way while climbing. As a medic....trust me.....I won't look in a wallet unless their dead.

sticky_fingers

Aug 11, 2003, 4:38 PM
Post #12 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool, thanks for telling me as someone who's in the know

maybe i'll look into the necklace thing...i hate having stuff around my wrists when i climb

podunkclimber

Aug 11, 2003, 4:58 PM
Post #13 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just FYI, if you are unconscious what's the use of pain meds, you are not feeling anything anyway, and medics rarely if ever administer pain meds. If you are conscious they need you to help them figure out what your injuries are, and being dopped on pain meds won't help, and the same things goes for the ER. They want you to know where it hurts so you can help them help you. The note in the wallet, and writing it on your helmet are cool ideas (put your blood type on there, rally drivers do, and we are just as hard core;0), but I would definetly get a bracelet or neclace made up with that on there. They are very common, and many medics look for them as part of their assessment. My $.02

hishopper

Aug 11, 2003, 5:16 PM
Post #14 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second EMTCLIMBER, and add that even if you have a bracelet or necklace, letting your partner know is the best defense. In the case of broken up climber things will be moving so quickly the chance of an EMT / I Tech. seeing it (in time) are around 70/30. That's better than 50/50, but I'de still rely on my partner letting them know more than even a tat.

cbeltrano

Aug 11, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #15 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on the topic of allergies.. if you have one that requires an eppi-pen (sp?) always, always, always bring one with you and show your partner(s) how to use it (better to do before you get to the crag but whatever)... it's useful information in general. A (non-climber) friend of mine has a peanut allergy and showed me a while back incase something happened to her..... i would have no clue what to do if she didn't tell me what to do and what to expect.... even then the thought of it happening kinda freaked me out but at least i was prepared if it did happen.

just a thought

bumblesbounce

Aug 26, 2003, 2:15 AM
Post #16 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How/When to use Epi Pens should be taught in ALL health classes in the WORLD they have saved many peoples lives. As for other sets glucose sometimes comes in handy - really handy if you are working with a patient who is prone to hypglyemic attacks

basecamp_junkie

Aug 26, 2003, 4:01 AM
Post #17 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking as a medic, you wont be gettting morphine or any other pain meds for that matter, unless you are 1) conscious 2) alert enough to tell me your medical history and 3) have injuries that are minor enough to ensure that you aren't hemodynamically compromised. I wouldn't worry about being allergic to those meds, in the situation you describe you won't be getting them anyways. But, if it really bothers you get one of the necklaces or bracelets described, medics do look for them.

zeta

Aug 26, 2003, 6:36 AM
Post #18 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as someone who has an epi-pen and has used it, *make sure* to always let your partners/roomies/etc. know your allergy situation (where the epi-pens/inhalers, etc. are), and how to use one correctly. When I used one on the side of the road in rural New Mexico, the person I was with was more freaked out than I was (and i was the one who couldn't breathe!) In the end, I gave myself the shot but you only have a short time to work w/ if it's a serious reaction. I'd inform all your partners and have back ups on all meds and then go out and climb w/o worry!

the_dude

Aug 26, 2003, 7:04 AM
Post #19 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with basecamp. If your unconcious there is no need for morphine or any narcotic. I disagree with emtclimber, if there is nobody around to obtain a medical history from(and the patient is unconcious), I always check the wallet! If your a caregiver, use what you can, just pass the info off to the higher recipient that is taking over care of the patient. In the U.S. that is legal, I don't know about Canada eh.
Cheers,
The Dude

danbensen

Aug 26, 2003, 12:35 PM
Post #20 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

not to be a dick, but I believe most everyone uses lydocaine (unsure on the spelling) instead of novacaine these days, its just always referred to as being novacaine because everyone recognizes the name, and the effects are virtually the same.

mtnrsq

Aug 30, 2003, 8:25 PM
Post #21 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A number of people nail this one. A professional EMS/rescue response will involve folks who won't jam you full of pain meds if you are unconscious. We will always obtain history, allergies, look for bracelets, etc. ER folks like to receive patients that aren't heavily medicated anyway....

Your partner(s) should know of any specific allergies, conditions, etc. as a good matter of course since they may need to relay info. to rescue personnel that may be responding to a remote accident location.

If you have other known allergies - e.g., bee stings. Better have an EPI pen, etc. and know how to use it (your partner too.....).

Knew a guy that got a whole pile o'bee stings after stirring the little guys up on a bushwhack approach...... Asked him if he was allergic - said he didn't know.....since we were about 3 miles from the trailhead, stood there and watched to see if it was curtains or not. Stressful few minutes.

papounet

Sep 2, 2003, 5:23 PM
Post #22 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a victim of acident or party to the rescue, I would like to confirm that rescue personel (firemen/paramedic or medic)
- look for information available without disturbing the patient (would open the wallet, only if they can get to it without any risk, ie no risk for back/neck)
- ask partners questions
- avoid dosing the patient (even if they need to reset several times the bones -as it happened to me-)

as a corollary, it is bad practice to pump someone full of aspirin or pain killers if he is going to be evac.
(especially Aspirin as it "thins" the blood => more bleeding and more swelling)

my 2 euro-cents

Partner sauron

Sep 2, 2003, 5:41 PM
Post #23 of 23 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are necklaces you can wear, that are waterproof, they look like two very thin (bolt) nuts screwed together, that let you write down anything and everything anyone would need to know about your medical history/needs/allergies, etc...

They're very useful.

- d.

P.S> A few links:

http://www.medicalinfoproducts.com/emergency-medical-id-necklace.html
http://www.medicalert.org/
http://www.id-ideas.com/medical.html

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?