RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

allycat

Aug 26, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Body Image Disorders and Rock Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've only recently begun climbing (in the last month or so) but I can't tell you how excited I've been to find it! Finally a sport that more often than not places the focus on how a body performs, rather than how it looks. :) Maybe I'm alone in my thoughts (I've read other discussions about weight loss as pertaining to better climbing) but this is how I feel.

I'm a personal trainer, who to a certain extent gets her clients by how she looks. I'm a figure skater who must make sure that I am light enough for my partner to lift me. In climbing, all that matters is that I am able control my body in a climb.

A couple of years ago I was almost anorexic. I lost 20 - 25 lbs., was always exhausted, had sporadic periods, hair loss, and muscle cramps and weakness due to lack of nourishment. I am now healthy and am more comfortable with my body -- I'm at a place I think I can live with.

Weight lifting and skating always made me feel how physically inadequate I was. Climbing makes me feel powerful, and more at peace with myself.

What about you ladies? Do you feel powerful or body conscious when you climb? Do your male partners put pressure on you to live up to an ideal that is virtually impossible? What is more important to male climbers - a gorgeous body, or a fit but imperfect girl that can climb?

krave

Aug 26, 2003, 5:01 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Re: Body Image Disorders and Rock Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Howdy,

While I have no comment on the pressures climbing men will or will not put on you about a person about their weight. I can comment on the Anorexia.

Two years ago I was quite dedicated/obsessed with climbing. In striving to attain my own climbing goals I "controlled" my eating so much that I also lost around 20-30 lbs. Though I ate enough while climbing to climb hard (for me) I was sickly, and have paid the price through injury after injury since I returned to regular eating habits. It has taken me a year to get my stomach to process food in a manner that does not make me sick. While I do not blame climbing, and am getting to a place where I can climb healthily, it is a sport that also relies on a high strengh to weight ratio, and I know of quite a few climbers with eating disorders. Keep it in mind and take care of yourself

azdesertgrl

Aug 26, 2003, 5:01 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being pretty new to the spot myself I know exactly what you are thinking. For me, it is the rush when I get to the top and to know I did it, ME, no one helped me, I was in control of my body and what I did. Those moments are to be cherished. The rush, fantastic. The views, incredible and I earned them darn it!

I am very fortunate to climb with two very special men who are encouraging and great to climb with. Common thought is that climbing chicks are hot but with these two it is that a gal climbs that makes her hot first and foremost not what shape her bod is in. In order to climb you gotta have SOME fitness to ya, of that there is no doubt.

Climb girl, because it cleanses your mind and soul. Climb because it is a fantastic work out. Climb because YOU can! Take pride in yourself and each of those accomplishments because they belong only to you. Do not worry about what anybody else thinks, it is ALLLLL about you baby!

You go girl!

Nickie

krave

Aug 26, 2003, 5:12 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ditto to what she said. Most climbing guys I know would be happy just dating a girl who was a s stoked about climbing as they are, and a few body flaws, which no one probably notices but you, are no big deal.

Get out there and have fun! :lol:

Partner missedyno

Aug 26, 2003, 12:40 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What is more important to male climbers - a gorgeous body, or a fit but imperfect girl that can climb?

no no no! who cares what other people think?

climb for yourself. no matter what your body looks like, it's only your body and your mind that's getting you up that rock.

debsanders

Aug 26, 2003, 5:43 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What about you ladies? Do you feel powerful or body conscious when you climb? Do your male partners put pressure on you to live up to an ideal that is virtually impossible? What is more important to male climbers - a gorgeous body, or a fit but imperfect girl that can climb?

I've been climbing for 19 months. When I started out I was weak, overweight and self-conscious. Since that time I have dropped 25 pounds, due to climbing, Mrs. Atkins (protein, fiberous carbs, good fat - starches are poison to my body) and become a confident 42 year old climber.

When I see ladies at the gym or outside that are in my beginning position I say a silent prayer; God give fortitude to continue this and help them loose weight. I really believe in the power of prayer. Then I follow-up with words of encouragement.

I'm climbing with a young lady, age 21, she is overweight but in the last few months from climbing she is beginning to drop the pounds and her climbing has improved. We are taking her to Horseshoe Canyon in Oct. for her second out side trip.

I try hard not to compare myself to others when I climb. Younger women, older men, kids but that competitive spirit is always at the edge of my thoughts. I'd like to say it's about my body and how I can make it do what I want with no regard to others. I achieve this no pride thing every so often and I'm happy when I can.

gblauer

Aug 27, 2003, 2:06 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am so stoked about the changes in my body since I started climbing. I can see muscles in my arms, chest and back. My abs are much tighter and I feel so much stonger. Prior to climbing, I worked out in a gym, but never really saw the impact of my weight lifting or stair master work. I feel great and look pretty good for someone on the downhill side of their 40s!

moabbeth

Aug 27, 2003, 3:44 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What is more important to male climbers - a gorgeous body, or a fit but imperfect girl that can climb?

no no no! who cares what other people think?

climb for yourself. no matter what your body looks like, it's only your body and your mind that's getting you up that rock.

EXACTLY!!

The outward joy and confidence you get climbing will be far more beautiful to a climber guy than a nice ass anyway. Who cares what other people think...climb cause you like it and how it makes YOU feel. Most climber guys are just happy to know a girl that is genuinely stoked to climb and keep improving. I'm yet to see a male climber go "eww, she may be good but she's got a big ass so I don't want to climb with her." You have to give climber guys credit, they're for the most part WAY above the curve when it comes to shallow-guy behavior.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook