Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ricardol

Aug 26, 2003, 6:16 PM
Post #1 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Route announcement..
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

in keeping with tradition .. here goes ..

i'm going to solo the west face of leaning tower in september.. will be my first big wall, and my first solo.

wish me luck.

the good doctor has been kind enough to asnwer tons of my questions, and will even be on hand to help me blast off.

my plan is to do it in 3 days. + walk off on the 4th -- see you guys in the valley ( sept 13 - 28 )

-- ricardo

epic_ed

Aug 26, 2003, 6:33 PM
Post #2 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Re: Route announcement.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on! Good luck, Ricardo! Time to see if you've got it in you. There's no better way to find out than heading up there and getting on the damn thing. Hopefully our paths will cross while I'm there.

Ed

atg200

Aug 26, 2003, 8:26 PM
Post #3 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this tradition is lame, and not really a tradition. it should be considered nothing but spray.

ep

Aug 26, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #4 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That would be pre-spray, atg200. But it's harmless enough.

ambler

Aug 26, 2003, 9:23 PM
Post #5 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this tradition is lame, and not really a tradition. it should be considered nothing but spray.
Basically, bragging about something we haven't done yet. That does come across pretty lame. Could be embarrassing too, given how these things often go.

ep

Aug 26, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #6 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the idea is to prove you are fully commited to the project so that you won't chicken out later. The scenerio is that you're thinking about bailing for some reason but then the little voice in your head says "What'll all the guys at rc.com think of me??" and you push on to victory instead.

But it might also convince someone who is in a situation where they really should bail to keep going. That's why I usually stay quiet about what I have planned. I want to be able to decide to continue or bail without worrying about what my online fans will think of me.

Ah well, it's probably not worth getting too worked up over. Let 'em spray!

orangekyak

Aug 26, 2003, 9:37 PM
Post #7 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gosh, I kinda like this tradition. rc.com would run out of bandwidth if every sporto announced his next Rumney project, but for bigwall I think it's cool. However, it might go better as one big "The Big Wall Pre-Spray Thread."

madturtle

Aug 26, 2003, 9:43 PM
Post #8 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Basically, bragging about something we haven't done yet. That does come across pretty lame. Could be embarrassing too, given how these things often go.

I think that is the idea. The added humiliation of having announced your plans to the world is extra motivation to top out rather than bail at the first sign of difficulty :oops: .

I say good luck to you. There are many more pointless threads on this site to be ridiculed than people pre-spraying their routes to be.

atg200

Aug 26, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #9 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, though this is about the 30th pre-spray(love that term) thread that has appeared here. success rate for those folks seems really really low, so i don't think the theory helps much. it is much better and more effective to spray to the cute girl in the visitor center/curry village pizza deck if you want to burn your ships.

ricardol

Aug 26, 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #10 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm -- i never tought of it as spray .. but i guess it can be ..

.. i thought of it as a great way to get a few pats-in-the-back and a few confidence boosters before jumping onto what feels like a large undertaking ..

.. i picked the leaning tower because bailing is supposed to be difficult .. facing ridicule later for bailing wont affect me, but maybe i'll think about some words of encouragement that someone posted right when the going gets tough (albeit only C2F kind of tough) ..

-- ricardo

flamer

Aug 26, 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #11 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ricardo-
GOOD LUCK!!!
The WFLT is a fun route! Enjoy!
I'm also planning a wall this fall, but that's all I'm saying.
josh

moabbeth

Aug 26, 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #12 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
.. i thought of it as a great way to get a few pats-in-the-back and a few confidence boosters before jumping onto what feels like a large undertaking ..

Awww, you know this site!! You're gonna bet more sheeit than encouragement with any sort of spray or pre-spray :wink: .

And here's my pre-spray....I'm heading to the valley this weekend. I intend to solo a bottle of Casa Dores...wish me luck!!! Should be quite an undertaking!! :lol:

ricardol

Aug 26, 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #13 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Awww, you know this site!! You're gonna bet more sheeit than encouragement with any sort of spray or pre-spray :wink: .

And here's my pre-spray....I'm heading to the valley this weekend. I intend to solo a bottle of Casa Dores...wish me luck!!! Should be quite an undertaking!! :lol:

good luck moabbeth -- remember to tie a backup knot..

:-)

-- ricardo

epic_ed

Aug 26, 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #14 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Whoa, easy there, Beth. You ever soloed that kind of stuff before? Might want to get with someone who knows a thing or two about alcohol before trying to tackle that alone. I'd say you need to consult with Gabe before you get in over your head. :lol:

copperhead

Aug 26, 2003, 11:41 PM
Post #15 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since this is a spray thread...

http://supertopo.com/...west_space_law10.jpg

This picture of Stevie Ray was taken on Wet Denim Daydream but Ahwahnee Ledge is visible below. The West Face route follows a line to the right of WDD (to the left in the photo).

It's way steep and the hauling is easy. Send it!

moabbeth

Aug 27, 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #16 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Whoa, easy there, Beth. You ever soloed that kind of stuff before? Might want to get with someone who knows a thing or two about alcohol before trying to tackle that alone. I'd say you need to consult with Gabe before you get in over your head. :lol:

Oh Gabe will be seconding me for sure on this one!!! :lol:

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 27, 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #17 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, heck .. i might as well join in. ..
he's free climbing, but here's a shot of my kiddo ... awwww ...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mp.cgi?Detailed=7191

climbhigher

Aug 27, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #18 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok here i go.....My partner and I are going to go do the Nose in 6 days in the middle of september. One single push. In true style. CHEERS.

passthepitonspete

Aug 27, 2003, 9:11 PM
Post #19 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holding yourself up to be accountable to your peers is NOT spraying, and it sure as hell isn't lame, either.

Quite the opposite - it takes courage to announce your plans to the entire world, especially on an internet forum where you face worldwide ridicule should you bail.

In reply to:
"There is another approach to choosing a climb that is appropriate once you have acquired a little experience. This way may be risky, and could even have the potential for creating a true living nightmare that lasts for days on end. You could even die a horrifying death ...

... This other approach is that of reckless abandon, the path to conquest and glory: to choose a climb that is longer and more difficult than any you have done before....

... This is the path of the "epic climb," the odyssey that will not end. This path begins with your announcement to the entire world of your intentions. This way, you are committed. And the more people you tell, the more committed you become. This can be a good thing and this can be a bad thing. It all depends on your dedication, tenacity, motivation, and genuine need for real excitement and real adventure. To be fun, there has to be some risk. Risk your reputation as a climber. Risk your status in your peer group. Risk anything except your life and health. All else can be recovered or replaced. Opportunity may not, so choose well."

I applaud Ricardo's announcement and wish him God speed!

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 27, 2003, 9:20 PM
Post #20 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Holding yourself up to be accountable to your peers is NOT spraying, and it sure as hell isn't lame, either.

am i the only one who almost died of laughter from this??
oohhh, the irony ...

personally, i think it's a little cheesy and the commitment to my partner is sufficient enough for me. then again, i've been told that i'm a ballsy little chick more than once. guess i dont need "accountability" to make me brave.

epic_ed

Aug 27, 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #21 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got a pair of clackers, do ya? :shock: We'll be reading your TRs in no time, I'm sure.

It's a double edged sword. As one who has traveled this route once (the whole "soloing Zodiac" brewhaha) I can say with certainly that knowing you guys knew my intentions had absolutely no bearing on my decision to bail. You F-ers were the least of my concerns when I was hanging 80 ft off the ground with 4 inches of rope left between me and the abyss.

I encourage it for the comaraderie and the pre-climb feedback about your plans for the route. There are many who visit this site who have done most of the trade routes and their beta and encouragement has been invaluable to me.

For me, it's all about motives. Some are genuinely looking for encouragement and a sense of accountability. Others use it as a way to boast. Ricardo certainly seems to be the former, and I'm not annoyed in the slightest. I'm the kind of guy who gets excited about your plans and aspirations, because they often motivate or parallel my own. I'm rooting for every one of you average, gumby, weekend warriors out there. The challenges most of us average Joe's take on to try to push the limits of our courage and abilities is something most gifted climber can't understand. When one of you posts to the forum that you plan to do something that just a few months ago was COMPLETELY beyond the limits of what you thought you could ever possibly accomplish, well...I get a little misty eyed. I'm pullin' for ya.

Ed

climbhigher

Aug 28, 2003, 12:26 AM
Post #22 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the thread progressed from a route annoucement to a little bit of spraying, but I don't know. Who cares anyways. And I am really sad because nobody wished me any luck. Darn it!!!! Oh well.

atg200

Aug 28, 2003, 12:35 AM
Post #23 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Quite the opposite - it takes courage to announce your plans to the entire world, especially on an internet forum where you face worldwide ridicule should you bail.

well, in keeping with that, here is my big announcement:

i announce that tonight i am going to eat chili rellenos and drink a margarita or two. i'll probably flip through a climbing magazine before i go to bed. tomorrow i will get up, brush my teeth, go to work, and spend a fair amount of time at the office bitching that i am not out climbing. i might go to eldo tomorrow evening time and weather permitting. regardless, i'll grill some salmon for dinner and split a nice bottle of malbec with my roommate while packing for my trip this weekend. friday i will go to work again, and then go to the airport to pick up my dad and have dinner with him. then i'm going climbing over the weekend, though the approach is very long and the route obscure so pete wouldn't be interested. i hope that announcing all of this to the world will make sure i follow through with it, and if i bail on brushing my teeth tomorrow morning i expect to be held accountable.

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 28, 2003, 2:06 AM
Post #24 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

best of luck to climbhigher and atg in their pursuits .. i'm gonna finish getting my house ready for painting and will probably head to OK for some obscure sandstone cliffs. yay me.

Partner camhead

Aug 28, 2003, 2:16 AM
Post #25 of 31 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, in keeping with tradition:

this weekend, or maybe next, whenever I can get out of bed before noon and find a ride since my car is broken down, I WILL ATTEMPT A NEW V2, MABE V2+ SIT START TO THIS CHOSSY FOUR BOLT 10A SPORT CLIMB OUT ON THE BRAZOS RIVER IN NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS!
Wish me luck, compadres. I will keep your well-wishes near my heart throughout the ordeal.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook