Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Top Roping in RRG
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climberliz

Aug 31, 2003, 3:30 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Top Roping in RRG  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: Ed___Terry_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alright, I know this pegs me as a newbie, but that's ok.

A friend and I are heading down to RRG in a few weeks and niether one of us feel comfortable leading (yes, even sport) at the level we'd like to climb at. Are there any TR routes in the area?

Thanks for your help.

drkodos

Aug 31, 2003, 3:46 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Re: Top Roping in RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most Top roping at the Red seems to be done be someone leading to a set of anchors, first. There are some crags that offer possibilities of accessing the top and setting anchors on trees or lowering to available anchors.

Better would be to head to Miguel's, meet up with some Hot Rope Guns, and let them set a few TR's for you. It should only take a couple of beers, some good cheer and some ego stroking. Next thing you know, you'll be TR'ing some great routes......

burz

Aug 31, 2003, 4:21 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn straight being a newbie is ok! Take the other poster's advice and hook up with some folks. Most climbers are more than happy to help out.

climberliz

Aug 31, 2003, 4:34 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Placating egos in exchange for a TR setup....sounds like a plan!

debsanders

Sep 1, 2003, 4:45 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Princess Arch is an area you can do top rope set-ups at RRG. I concur with Dr.Kodos
In reply to:
Better would be to head to Miguel's, meet up with some Hot Rope Guns, and let them set a few TR's for you. It should only take a couple of beers, some good cheer and some ego stroking. Next thing you know, you'll be TR'ing some great routes......

Military Wall has some .10s that are fun, then head to Left Flank for a few .9s and more .10s.

RRG is a great place to climb, we hope to get back in a few years.

sportster

Sep 1, 2003, 5:11 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just at the red this yesterday, and another option would be to head to a popular crag like roadside wall and just ask someone who is getting ready to clean their route to run a rope up for you, then you can just clean it yourself. Left flank and Roadside wall were were so crowded this weekend that groups would just switch routes without switching ropes, and then just got their gear before they left.
Either way im sure you'll find plenty of climbing with any of the 3 proposed options. Have fun and be safe.

organic

Sep 1, 2003, 5:24 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sporster and I set up some top ropes over on pistil ridge there is a way to get up to the top I think there are some 6's and maybe a few other routes under 10, maybe check that out. But the lead climbing is great even some 7's and 8's if you are a newb, try it out you won't be disappointed.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook