RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mrhardgrit

Aug 31, 2003, 9:46 PM
Post #1 of 7 (907 views)
Shortcut

Saddam Hussein
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was looking through an old Yos Big Wall Reid guide for some routes to do next year and noticed a rather curious aid route by the name of "Saddam Hussein," which is situated on Washington Column's East Face.

I have to confess that I have never even heard of the route let alone met anyone that has done it ... so .... was wondering if anyone out there knows anything of it (repeats, condition, rockfall, rumours etc) or knows someone who has done part or all of it?

Thanks

Tom

climbingjunky

Aug 31, 2003, 10:06 PM
Post #2 of 7 (907 views)
Shortcut

Re: Saddam Hussein [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Be careful, it might be booby trapped! :lol:

apollodorus

Aug 31, 2003, 11:17 PM
Post #3 of 7 (907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That part of the East face of the Column, North of the Prow and Astroman, used to be generically referred to as the Bad Wall, after one of the routes there. There is alot of loose rock, especially above the Death Slabs. I don't know specifically about that particular route.

flamer

Aug 31, 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #4 of 7 (907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's another one over there called "mid-east crisis" or something like that...I believe that The new free line over there used parts of these climbs....I think Rob Miller? Did the free line?
josh

copperhead

Sep 1, 2003, 6:38 PM
Post #5 of 7 (907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As you have probably noticed from the Reid guide, Saddam Hussein was put up by Eric Brand and his subee, ex Marmot Mountain Works general manager Stewart “Stew-pid” Irving. If I had to guess, I’d say that it hasn’t seen a second ascent, but probably for good reason – lots of munge, grass, loose junk and not too much cool stuff. The Brand/Barbella route, Ten Days After, would be a much better bet and has seen numerous ascents. You also might want to check out Electric Ladyland or Afroman. I’m not sure about a topo for Afroman but “Coiler” might be able to help you out in the Valley. The Re-Animator is a great route and has seen several ascents. It roughly follows the aręte that divides the South and East faces, offering the best exposure on the Column. Mideast Crisis has seen a few ascents but I’m not sure of the overall quality of the route. Yes, Rob Miller and Jay Selvage (sp?) developed the Quantum Mechanic. Another obscure one would be Horney/Johnson; it may not have seen a second. I scoped out the line before I found out that Jeff and Troy had already done it. Some of the features look pretty cool. Last, and yes, least would be the practice aid route to the right of Bad Wall called History of the Future, a three-pitch (and rap) route that I put up several years ago.

Have fun.

iamthewallress

Sep 2, 2003, 5:57 PM
Post #6 of 7 (907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FWIW J has recommended ME Crisis to me as an aid line...said that there is no A4 these days, and isn't sure how/where there ever was really.

mrhardgrit

Sep 3, 2003, 4:03 PM
Post #7 of 7 (907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info folks! ME Crisis also looks quite interesting.

Brian, cheers for the detailed info - what's 3 pitch route that you put up like? Do you have a topo that you possibly could email me? Had looked at Re-animator ... a Brit mate of mine had been on it said it was pretty tough (for A3, he thought anyway). Then again, Brits aint exactly the most travelled of wall climbers!

Tom

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook