RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

climber49er

Sep 4, 2003, 9:24 PM
Post #1 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Falling hurts (..Landing hurts)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I took a nice spill in the gym yesterday. I was about ten feet up (Bouldering) with my body in an awkward, very horizontal, position when my left hand which was bearing almost all my weight decided to get sweaty and spit me off. The fall was rather exciting, but far to short to be enjoyable. Surprised the heck out of me as I usually know when I am about to fall. Well, down I went, flat onto my back / butt. My rear end bottomed out the pads and boy howdy, I tell you, the concrete is hard under there! I must say it was rather lame. My sphincter still hurts. My shoulders and neck are reaaaaal stiff from my head snapping back and bouncing off the pads.

This I can say. I imagine it was a whole lot better than doing the same thing outside. I've decided I don't want to fall ever again. The abrubt stop at the end just does bad things to me! :oops:

daisuke

Sep 4, 2003, 9:26 PM
Post #2 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Re: Falling hurts (..Landing hurts) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

even with pads it can be pretty painful, I fell off while doing a figure 4 once on a gym roof and fell onto the pads only I landed head/shoulder first, it hurt for quite some time

I also fell the other day onto concrete from about 4 feet up and my ass hurt for 4 days, not recommended!

D

vertx

Sep 4, 2003, 9:37 PM
Post #3 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As you stated, its not the falling that hurts, its the landing. The actual cause of the resulting pain is from SDS or "sudden deceleration syndrome" :)

Falling (safely) can be good. It teaches you things and it means you are pushing your limits. Thats how you get better. For example, you learned that hands get sweaty, and CHALK may help reduce falls.

jman

Sep 4, 2003, 9:53 PM
Post #4 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a gym that I go to that is fairly new and the bouldering cave tops out at around 16 feet. The bouldering is awsome and at first most of the problems topped out at the top of the cave. A number of people have gotten hurt when they popped of the wall and fell awkwardly. The folks in the gym realized the trend that many of the injuries could have been avoided by people using a crash pad and a spotter. In response to the injuries finish holds were lowered and the only problems that top out are in the V6 and up range, with the theory that the folks that climb that level have enough sense to use a spotter.

sspssp

Sep 4, 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #5 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was bouldering on an overhanging gym problem with my butt about four feet off the ground when I lunged at a hold and didn't stick it. My torso twisted and I landed directly on my hip (with my back twisted) and tweaked my back.

I didn't climb for the next year (and at times wondered if my back would ever allow me to climb again).

This was a four foot fall onto a padded gym floor.

The lesson I learned was to always use a spotter (actually, I learned to never boulder again, but that is a different story).

petsfed

Sep 4, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #6 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, its mostly the landing. My two falls to date (that is on real rock), I've hit the ground. I don't know why, but by the time I put pro in, I just don't fall.

overlord

Sep 5, 2003, 11:00 AM
Post #7 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i fell from a ceiling once. my hand slipped. fell for about 5 feet onto the pads on my back/butt. hurt like hell, knocked the wind out of me.

b_fost

Sep 5, 2003, 7:06 PM
Post #8 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fell on my back from maybe 6 feet up, but it was on pea gravel. So it didn't hurt at all. (deep pea gravel)

Also- this is a bit of info that I've found useful-

if you land on your back, once you hit fold you body into a v shape (more of a u shape really)- upper torso and arms up in the air, and legs up in the air. don't hold it (b/c youd looke stupid) but its a good postion to take the ouch out of a short fall

climber49er

Sep 5, 2003, 8:11 PM
Post #9 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel better today. Yay!

lollipopchic

Sep 6, 2003, 3:20 AM
Post #10 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fractured my foot and sprained my ankle real bad at the gym during a bouldering comp. Couldn't climb on it for 2 months.

Partner tyify

Sep 16, 2003, 9:27 PM
Post #11 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't hit steps when falling...then really bad stuff happens..

inflight

Sep 16, 2003, 11:20 PM
Post #12 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fell like a pop tart partway through the Crack House (Moab,Utah area). It's about 6' off the ground and puts you in a completely horizontal position.
I had no pad and no spotters in exchange for photos. It made me focus and accept the consequences and realize my limits. The only injury was a small cut to my right elbow. Would I do it again? Yes, after I specifically train for it.

teddy

Sep 17, 2003, 10:41 AM
Post #13 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heh i took a 25' fall in the gym the other day, i mean i was roped so i didnt fall quite as quick as bouldering but it still hurt coz my left leg absorbed the shock then snapped out sideways... they also have around 10ft bouldering caves that u almost always top out on, if u miss a big dyno to the top, u have a chance of going too far and landing on rubber or worse carpet on top of concrete... both are painful

ropegungirl

Sep 17, 2003, 3:25 PM
Post #14 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can feel your pain, I was doing a high ball problem in my gym and took a nasty spill. Didn't think much of it for a week or two then realized the pain in my jaw was not going away - turns out I had fractured my jaw and one of my teeth in 7 places - had to get a root canal because I had done so much damage. :shock:

Needless to say - I stay away from the high ball problems at the moment and make sure there is a mega mat under me at all times when there is a chance of a good fall.

Nathalie

cerikpete

Sep 17, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #15 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fell 7' onto concrete head first. Fractured my skull, fun stuff.

Falling is bad, mmmkay?

musicheck

Oct 17, 2003, 7:25 PM
Post #16 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, did I hear that there are highballs at the gym? Damn, I want to go there! At the gym I climb at (hidden peak) bouldering only goes up 10 ft. The gym itself could be highballed to the top. Its about 25 feet. i heard this n00b once talk about "soloing" the gym. ROFL

teddy

Oct 18, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #17 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well at mine its about the same (10ft bouldering), except that we have lowish roof sections (at about 10ft) and some completely overhanging walls that are fun to boulder around on

mattdog

Oct 18, 2003, 3:22 AM
Post #18 of 18 (6095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my first day climbing, ever, we went down to the gym, and there was a dyno bullhorn set up beneath a negative... on the negative, which was about 15 feet up, there was a giant jug...

all my friends said that everyone had to make the dyno on their first day and initiation...

no one told me you were supposed to let go AT THE LATEST POSSIBLE POINT... so I let go way to early, shot out from the wall at a 45% angle, flipped, and landed directly on my head/neck/back...

needless to say, the owners were extremely pissed and the dyno hold has been removed.

human beings learn from consquences, they say...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook