Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

renobdarb

Sep 19, 2003, 11:30 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2532 views)
Shortcut

...  (North_America: United_States: South_Dakota: Custer_State_Park: Switchbacks_and_Ten_Pins)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For those who are interested, it looks like the bolt war in the Needles has finally begun... it's been a long time comming, and you can see the drama unfolding on the Climbing Black Hills website, under the Loss of Sensation climb in Tenpins/Switchbacks...

'tis a sad day...

-brad

Update: continuing discussion on the topic in the link above can be seen here

photon

Sep 20, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bolt war brewing in the Needles of South Dakota [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally wouldn't sink any hardware in over there, the climbing is ok but nothing to spend hard earned money on when good sport climbing is right down the road in Spearfish and tons of places in Wyoming. Besides, it just wouldn't be the creepy (people creepy) place that it is without the ground up bolting approach. You'll never meet a better bunch of weirdos than there at the Needles.

karma274

Sep 21, 2003, 6:40 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me second the sentiment that spearfish is a rad place to climb.

drkodos

Sep 21, 2003, 6:49 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the great trad climbing areas, about to be the next area to go the way of the dinosaurs....as the last of the great traditionalists move on; the Dr. Laptads, Gene Larsens, all the ex Gunkies such as Rich Goldstone, Kevin Bein (Veritigo!) and all the truly seminal figures of Needles Climbing fall aside, the area was bound to be defiled and spoiled by a newer mindset.

Monofocal, and unable to see past their own selfish desires, these A$$-clowns such as "Anonymous Coward" need a comeupance and protaganist as strong as the Vulgarians were in the Halcyon days of the Gunks.

Let me know when and where....I'll supply the urine.

Partner tim

Sep 21, 2003, 8:27 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For those who are interested, it looks like the bolt war in the Needles has finally begun... it's been a long time comming, and you can see the drama unfolding on the Climbing Black Hills website, under the Loss of Sensation climb in Tenpins/Switchbacks...

Observation (after watching the flow of dicussion on BHclimbing.com):

The incredibly destructive tone of the thread on BHClimbing (along with past experiences with Mike Grey being baited, Gawd pursuing a vendetta against Pete, etc. etc.) make me wonder if anyone should ever really be free from accountability for their public actions. Or (conversely) if the sort of accountable-pseudonymity enjoyed by Dingus and Brutus, among others (anyone who cares, can easily find out their name, where they climb, how much bolder they are than you :-), etc.) should be encouraged, and priveleges doled out accordingly. Things like some of the masterpiece-theater Trip Reports that Bruce and Dingus (and Mike and Paul and...) have written, are the counterpoint to sewage like the thread linked above. If everything devolved into faceless, anonymous bolt wars like the participants are proposing... eh, let's just say it wouldn't be good.

Whoever is posting as AC in that thread, is doing to purely to be destructive. Every single time there has been a chance to be anonymous on this board -- EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM -- it has turned out badly. In the classifieds forums, where for some reason, Trevor initially allowed anonymous posting, people began spoofing names to bait the sellers. (and that was the end of anonymity in any of the forums, of course) Anytime we've "respected" someone's "right" to be a pseudonym, an Addam Smythe of the rc.com userbase, it's been the wrong choice. Every last time. It begs the question -- is there ever a positive side to having anonymity on the site? (taking a long-term view, where 'fun' is seen as secondary to 'not incubating venomous flamewars that escalate into chopping festivals and lead to closures', etc.)

It's not like people won't start their own arguments in person, but at least at that point, there's a physical degree of accountability (full-rack beatdown, occasional teeth-swallowing, etc.) that does not apply online.

It's somewhat sickening, even from a distance, to watch people fall for this crap. But if everyone thought critically about their actions, fad diets wouldn't be a billion dollar industry, and Steve Case would not be a zillionaire. Natch. I hope the posters to that thread wake up, ideally before reaching for the pipe and crowbar. How pathetic.

photon

Sep 24, 2003, 4:50 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no i don't think that will happen drkodos even though thoughts of it seem to stir passion within you, i think you'll have to just keep your piss to yourself, which is really the only place you want it anyway. Steep limestone beckons only a few miles a away with multi-faceted highly featured rock. You may have a couple of idiots who think slabby boring crystal pulling should be bolted but 9 out of 10 bolters will just drive right by and head to Spearfish or Wyoming (are you listening this time?). I 'm sure though that that the 1 out of 10 idiot will be taken care of swiftly, considering Needles folk with your "elegent mindset" are a dime a dozen around Custer. Also, Tim, you are also very dellusional if you think message boards have really any effect outside at real climbing areas. Most climbers don't post on these things ever,
step away from the computer

renobdarb

Sep 26, 2003, 3:34 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic has been moved to another page on climbingblackhills.com, and further comments can be seen on the Ethics Discussion link...

agreed, comments have degraded to pure dribble and nonsense, and it's hardly worth following it anymore...

-brad

the_pirate

Sep 26, 2003, 3:48 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Monofocal, and unable to see past their own selfish desires, these A$$-clowns such as "Anonymous Coward" need a comeupance and protaganist as strong as the Vulgarians were in the Halcyon days of the Gunks.

Let me know when and where....I'll supply the urine.

Are we taking up a collection? I'll add my urine to that pot.

photon

Sep 26, 2003, 3:50 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grown men fighting about rocks
simply resistable

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook