RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

timhinck

Feb 8, 2002, 1:32 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1309 views)
Shortcut

southern ice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I am a rock climber looking to get into ice. The only problem is that I live in Tennessee. Where is my closest good ice??

thanks,

peace out,

tim

atg200

Feb 8, 2002, 3:34 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1309 views)
Shortcut

southern ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

talk to mr crowder:

http://www.coolclimbing.com/contents_1.htm

darkside

Feb 8, 2002, 6:30 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1309 views)
Shortcut

southern ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OUCH. You have a couple of problems as I see it.
First it is a bad ice year with many places across the East being thin this winter owing to the severe LACK OF WINTER. (sorry, mini rant). So it's more a question of where the nearest 'good' ice is than merely the nearest ice.
Second, you're in the south dude. Awesome for rock, not happy for ice. You could try north of Lake Superior in Canada, conditions there are almost always good and many areas up there are fat right now. Southern Ontario would be closer but is not in best condition this year. If you make it this way give me a shout and I can show you around. A little further than S.Ont is the Adirondacks which while also not in the best condition this year but with lots of ice anyway. Smugglers Notch, VT is a good destination.
Given that driving is going to entail a 10hr+ journey, you may want to consider flying which would open up your choices huge.
www.NEice.com is a decent site to check out for ice in the northeast.
You may also consider driving west. I would imagine Colorado is as close as ice crags north or east but I can't offer advise on west. I hope you get to swing some tools soon because it's a load of fun. I've been driving up to four hours each way for a day on the ice so I understand your problem. Hope this helps a bit.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook