First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ropegungirl

Sep 21, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #1 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Is it unusual to be an active female???
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, I was brought up in an active household. From the time I was very young I did a number of physical activities. Recently I find that many guys seem to find it surprising that a female can be so active. I enjoy running, swimming, biking, yoga, snowboarding, paddling etc... and obviously #1 interest, climbing.

Why is it that men find this unusual and what the hell are all these other women doing out there if they are not as active as some of us?

Cheers
Ropegungirl

rckclimbergurl

Sep 22, 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #2 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is it unusual to be an active female??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear ya!!

Some of my interests include: climbing (Obviously!), snowboarding, running, biking (depend where!), and I'm gonna get into kayaking soon enough.

How can all the other girls do nothing?!?

:roll:

Partner one900johnnyk

Sep 22, 2003, 12:40 AM
Post #3 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how old are you and how old are the guys you're hanging out with? this strikes me as a really dumb question... womens professional sports exist.... i dont' get it

Partner camhead

Sep 22, 2003, 2:51 AM
Post #4 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wimmin shouldn''t be active. they should make babies, and support their man in his active endeavors.

duh.

curt

Sep 22, 2003, 2:54 AM
Post #5 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
......they should make babies, and support their man in his active endeavors.

duh.

This requires them to be at least sexually active, no?

Curt

timstich

Sep 22, 2003, 2:57 AM
Post #6 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camhead. You need to hem and haw a little more to sell your cromagnon man troll.

"I'm not saying all women should just stay home and make babies, but some definitely seem to like it. Maybe they should. They are made that way."

etc.

Good fishing.

Partner taino

Sep 22, 2003, 3:39 AM
Post #7 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on the sport. IMHO, a lot of people - women included - don't expect to see a woman doing potentially dangerous, tough, physical activities: hockey, climbing, technical biking, snowboarding, etc. People - women included - are used to seeing women in the "lighter" sports, especially running, (now soccer), tennis, road biking, stuff like that which isn't so inherently dangerous.

Personally, I would LOVE to have a gal who is as active as I, and in the same sports (climbing, technical biking, hiking, hockey, snowshoeing, etc). However, since I'm single I'll take the stance that, while it's not "unusual" to see women doing these things, it's uncommon enough that there definitely need to be more. 8)

T

alwaysforward

Sep 22, 2003, 4:28 AM
Post #8 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Camhead. You need to hem and haw a little more to sell your cromagnon man troll.

"I'm not saying all women should just stay home and make babies, but some definitely seem to like it. Maybe they should. They are made that way."

etc.

Good fishing.

Nice.

Partner caligrrl

Sep 22, 2003, 4:50 AM
Post #9 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amen.

I get it all the time. I work at REI, and it's funny to see guys react to my product knowledge. I've had guys tell me, "wow, you know a lot about this stuff for a girl"...I just laugh, flip, my hair, and tell them that it's a great way to pick up guys. (kidding) :p

:) Cali "Snowboarder, climber, golfer, backpacker, snowshoer, adventurer" Grrl

jono13

Sep 22, 2003, 5:04 AM
Post #10 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Depends on the sport. IMHO, a lot of people - women included - don't expect to see a woman doing potentially dangerous, tough, physical activities: hockey, climbing, technical biking, snowboarding, etc. People - women included - are used to seeing women in the "lighter" sports, especially running, (now soccer), tennis, road biking, stuff like that which isn't so inherently dangerous.

Personally, I would LOVE to have a gal who is as active as I, and in the same sports (climbing, technical biking, hiking, hockey, snowshoeing, etc). However, since I'm single I'll take the stance that, while it's not "unusual" to see women doing these things, it's uncommon enough that there definitely need to be more. 8)

T

hehe, ever taken a fall on a slippery corner at 50km/h? Didnt think so. As tame as it may seem, road biking is not a "sissy" sport that has no danger. Ever been clipped by a obnoxiously large SUV? Plenty of pain in road biking..

Anyway, I'd have to agree, this is a dumb topic. I think these guys you know have never actualyl talked to a girl before and have just moved out of their parents basement and realized that another sex exists. Or something. My vote, their just idiots.
ta
jono

erica44

Sep 22, 2003, 10:24 AM
Post #11 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

T

haha thats funny you say that T. you consider soccer to be a lighter sport. well let me just tell you that from my 15 years of playing, I have broken all of my fingers, had three concussions, have a scar on my right eyelid from getting kicked in the face and have had a couple of contusions. thats just to name a few. if you watch closely, especially in college soccer, the girls are actually rougher than the guys. believe me I know.

Erica

Partner taino

Sep 22, 2003, 10:34 AM
Post #12 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hehe, ever taken a fall on a slippery corner at 50km/h? Didnt think so. As tame as it may seem, road biking is not a "sissy" sport that has no danger. Ever been clipped by a obnoxiously large SUV? Plenty of pain in road biking..

jono

Dude, I live in New York Focking City. Slippery corners at 50mph? SUV issues? *snort* Every day, before lunch. :roll:

Try riding at top speed down Lexington Avenue during rush hour, trying to beat the lights while avoiding shrieking legions of taxi cabs and pedestrians and attempting to steer clear of the sewer grates and metal plates all over the road.

And Erica, I didn't say that soccer wasn't pain-filled; I played soccer most of my formative years, and have received more injuries from that than from bicycling and volleyball combined. I did say that soccer didn't generally have a threat of imminent death if you screwed up. I also play tennis, and know for a fact that it's NOT an easy sport. However, if you miss a serve you don't die.

I am saying that a lot of people have a stereotype of what women "should" do. And I don't agree with that stereotype.

T

dc

Sep 22, 2003, 12:05 PM
Post #13 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think active chicks rock!

marnitanya

Sep 22, 2003, 1:34 PM
Post #14 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the girls I know are "active". I think its more unusual to find an inactive girl. i've been climbing, biking, playing soccer, hiking, etc etc etc since I can remember. doesn't seem like that big a deal to me

prana0777

Sep 22, 2003, 4:12 PM
Post #15 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Amen.

I get it all the time. I work at REI, and it's funny to see guys react to my product knowledge. I've had guys tell me, "wow, you know a lot about this stuff for a girl"...I just laugh, flip, my hair, and tell them that it's a great way to pick up guys. (kidding) :p

:) Cali "Snowboarder, climber, golfer, backpacker, snowshoer, adventurer" Grrl

amen that! I m male climber. when I bring my buddy and he wanted to buy gears. He saw lady who worked at REI some questions about climbing things. she answered allof his questions. his mouth was wide open! I asked him were you ok? he said taht man she knows everyting i didnt expect. i just laughed. i believe that male and female are equal.. some of female are very interested into male sports. i support female sport..

You should be proud :)

prana0777

Sep 22, 2003, 4:13 PM
Post #16 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

active chicks is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :!: :!: :!: :!: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

climberchic

Sep 22, 2003, 4:39 PM
Post #17 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why is it that men find this unusual and what the hell are all these other women doing out there if they are not as active as some of us?

This sounds like fishing to me....

Where are you hanging out that men find this unusual?

What do you mean by "active"? Being active in risk-involved sports (such as climbing) or just outdoor sports in general? What about other sports or just someone who excercises? I consider myself a somewhat social person, and I only have met a handful of women that aren't "active" in any of these. One works and goes to school all the time, there are a few are mothers with young children (who are probably more physically active than all of us combined), one spends all her free time with art, and one with music. I also know a lot that go to the gym all the time, but are not really into the outdoors. I also know a few that play soccer all the time (one semi-pro).

I think that most women nowadays, unless they spend all their time on the couch eating bon bons, are "active", meaning they involve themselves with activites that they are passionate about. But it may impress some men to find that your activity includes :wince: "extreme" sports, such as rock climbing, mountaineering, etc.

ropegungirl

Sep 22, 2003, 8:19 PM
Post #18 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get me wrong, I was under the impression that most women are active. This is why I find it odd that many guys find it unusual that a female is active - and maybe it has to do with the extreme sports. I honestly don't give a hoot what people think - I do the things I do because I love them and I love being challenged. I just wanted to know if other people had the same reactions ever.

Nice comeback line caligrrl - I will use that next time... LOL

...And if you think the thread is dumb, then don't bother posting a response. :evil:

Partner caligrrl

Sep 22, 2003, 9:30 PM
Post #19 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Where are you hanging out that men find this unusual?

Its actually more common than you think...or then again, my view may be skewed from living in LA, the land of metrosexual males.

I also work a corporate job, so when I come back on a Monday and someone asks what I did for the weekend and I respond with my standard, "I climbed/snowboarded/backpacked"...I often get a perplexed look.

It becomes near horror when I tell them about backpacking/camping by myself. "What?!? A woman shouldn't be doing that on her own! That's DANGEROUS." Uh huh. But so is driving on the 405 during rush hour.

I think that most of the women that I meet day to day really AREN'T all that active, other than the standard gym/spinning/yoga classes that are expected of them. My mother even thinks it's attrocious that I rock climb because it makes it nearly impossible to maintain a decent manicure! lol

Just goes to show you, I'm probably living in the wrong town, and was born to the wrong family!

lol

:) Cali "No, you cannot bring the Louis Vitton camping" Grrl

timstich

Sep 22, 2003, 9:40 PM
Post #20 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is not unusual. La la la. OK?

Bye.

hangerlessbolt

Sep 22, 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #21 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You want a response….here’s my response…

“You don’t need a d*ck to backpack…unless you want to use it as a trekking pole.”

As far why “men” find it odd that you’re as active as you are…maybe you just don’t have that “lived-in, loved-in, dirt-bag” look to you.

mother_sheep

Sep 23, 2003, 2:20 PM
Post #22 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Out here in Colorado, there are active women every where. What I have noticed about men and women is the difference in their level of commitment to climbing. It seems like on any given day of the week, I can get one of my male partners to climb, hit the road, go to the gym, do a 14'er, etc. . .When I ask my female partners, it's harder. It seems like they have other things going on in their lives that their not willing to make secondary to climbing.

timstich

Sep 23, 2003, 2:45 PM
Post #23 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See? It's not really unusual. Nope.

climberchic

Sep 23, 2003, 3:12 PM
Post #24 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I cracked up when I saw this. One of my best friends brought his very fashionable GF out to the AZ gathering (I give her A+ for effort considering the outdoors are really not her thing). She brought her giant Louis Vitton purse and used it as a backpack chocked full of beers she toted around to the crag. Me thinks to help her tolerate, maybe? :D

timstich

Sep 23, 2003, 3:46 PM
Post #25 of 34 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I cracked up when I saw this. One of my best friends brought his very fashionable GF out to the AZ gathering (I give her A+ for effort considering the outdoors are really not her thing). She brought her giant Louis Vitton purse and used it as a backpack chocked full of beers she toted around to the crag. Me thinks to help her tolerate, maybe? :D

Oh, you see computer geek guys toting things around in their old laptop bags or black satchels sometimes. It's all about using what you had around the house. Love those superhero belts with the cell phone, compass, and god knows what else.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook