RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

justuspr

Sep 24, 2003, 4:30 AM
Post #1 of 10 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Tree Friendlies
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, I set up my line 3 or 4 times a week, for an hour or two at a time. The trees are in the common area of my townhome complex. So far I have not noticed any visible damage ( been slacking for about 2 months now), not even pealling bark. One tree is a pine with flaky bark and lots of sap so I put an old T-shirt between this one and my webbing (more so I don't get my webbing all sappy, than to protect the tree.) The other tree is a Honey Locust, and shows no sign of wear.

So my question is are tree friendlies really worth it? I could see if I was going to leave the line up for extended periods that it would be good. But if I'm taking it down after an hour or two, will it really make a difference? Are different types of trees more suseptable to damage? How many of you slackers use tree friendlies?

adm4now

Sep 24, 2003, 8:08 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tree Friendlies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I try to always use friendlys if I can. If you dont have anything around then its kind of hard. The T-Shirt might even serve as protection to the tree. This I do not know.

therealbovine

Sep 25, 2003, 5:17 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a GREAT topic! Big issues revolve around this and slacklines set-up in public areas, especially the national parks.

I would ALWAYS recommend protecting the tree as well as your anchor slings. After just a single walk on the line, I have seen webbing worn nearly half-way through. I have also witnessed some major abuse to the exterior of the trees as a result of no protection. If you were in Yosemite for example, it is a requirement to protect the tree.

Although you seem to have had no issues with abrasion to your anchor slings, and no tree damage, I'd still recomend be tree friendly. Here are a few suggestions...

Depending on the tesion on your slackline, the upward/downward motion that takes place when you walk the line and do tricks can be very damaging to the tree and your line.

If you use a material like a PVC coated nylon (like used on haulbags) it protects the webbing, the tree, and lets the natural motion of the line still occur. A similar material that works well, but is a little expensive is "overflow tubing" found at the hardware store (by the foot). Its usually blue, flat and can be sliced down one side to accept the anchor webbing.

In Yosemite you'll see alot of sticks placed vertically around the perimeter of the tree, under the anchor webbing. This is good for long term lines, but not really that great for short term lines like at your place. The reason this idea is so widely used in the National parks is its availability, its cheap, no ones gonna steel it and it allows the movement of nutrients through the outter layers of the tree. If you want the tree to stay healthy, long term lines should allow for this.

Many other cheap, find-it-around the house option exist. Use your best judgement. Best of luck!

I think I've just about wrote enough for a single post, sorry. If you have any more questions feel fre to PM me!

Sean

thinksinpictures

Sep 27, 2003, 6:09 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just chopped up a cardboard box into two long strips. Works great.

Edited to add that this is much easier if you're using smaller trees (probably less than 2 ft. in diameter). The more expensive option might be better for big trees, such as one might use in Yosemite.

Also: my edit was more than twice the length of my original post. My bad.

shaggyj

Sep 30, 2003, 4:18 AM
Post #5 of 10 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've also taken an old mt bike tube and cut it twice, to give two hollow semi-circular tubes. Then threaded my webbing through that before wrapping a tree.

rckclimbergurl

Oct 2, 2003, 2:58 AM
Post #6 of 10 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've also taken an old mt bike tube and cut it twice, to give two hollow semi-circular tubes. Then threaded my webbing through that before wrapping a tree.

Good idea!

elcapbuzz

Oct 3, 2003, 2:29 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That was a great post, Sean.

A peice of carpet works pretty good for temporary lines, too.

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use the Black Oaks in the Valley as well, for rigging lines.

As slacklining gets more popular your going to see lines popping up all over the place.

Hey, we are the pioneers of this activity.

Our decisions "today" of what is mandatory, will be a direct result in our acceptance in setting lines in public places, in the future.

Think about how many "No Skateboarding" signs you see.

Just.... my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers, Ammon

b_fost

Oct 7, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

word.

i always just use some cardboard scraps, because its easy and doesnt cost me anything. (i have small trees in my yard.)

moshe

Oct 12, 2003, 10:31 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We leave out line up for months and we found that plastic edging that is used in gardening, about 6" wide and comes in rolls, is great for protecting the tree and line. It's weather proof and also allows for the motion of the line.

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 5, 2003, 9:44 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ever try that insulation foam that wraps around water pipes? You can just cut a small section off and slide it over the webbing. It costs about $2 for 6 foot and can easily suite 2 or 3 trees. Very quick setup, downside is the space required if your packing it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook