Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kansasclimber

Sep 19, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #1 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

The Best Type Of Climbing Cameras
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just got a new camera specificaly for road and climbing trips. I did not go with digital for a few reasons, I heard that unless you get a $500 digital camera, they are not worth it. Plus you need a pretty decent printer, and buy the paper. I have nothing against them thats just what i heard about them. So i went with a Canon (SLR) EOS Rebel XSn 30mm-80. I reallly dont know a whole lot about what is all in the title of my camera just know thats what it is. Is this a good camera, if not what IS good. Thanks

renobdarb

Sep 19, 2003, 12:39 AM
Post #2 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Best Type Of Climbing Cameras [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It really is as good as anything... happy shooting!

-brad

squish

Sep 19, 2003, 3:36 AM
Post #3 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends what you do with it, and what you want to do with it.

For snapshots, anything will do. If you're climbing with it, the cheaper the better, and the lighter and smaller the better. My friend has the little Minolta Dimage, and it gets taken along on our trips much more often than my "better" Nikon camera. Yeah, my camera is sharper and can do this & that, but the little one that fits into any pocket just gets used way more while climbing.

bxt

Sep 19, 2003, 4:38 AM
Post #4 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Canon Rebel series is an excellent place to start off in the world of SLR cameras since you can add accessories and upgrade the body later if you enjoy it and want more (there's always more... :) ) Sure, it's not pro level but it's not pro pricing either. Have fun and head over to the photo forum!

BTW- just to clarify, with digital you don't need to deal with a printer and paper, in most places you can drop your memory card off at the local drug store (or pro photo lab) and get prints fast and for a decent price.

yaiknowkssux

Sep 20, 2003, 5:06 AM
Post #5 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey whats up you know who this is bet you ont but the camera is pretty cool I like the auto focus but you still have the ability to manual focus for the real technical stuff. Beats the heck out of that handy cam!

iridesantacruz

Sep 20, 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #6 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

last time we tried to take pictures... the chalk got in the lens

oldeclimber

Sep 22, 2003, 12:37 AM
Post #7 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a Canon Powershot S40 4 megapixel digital. Great pics up to 8.5 x 11 inches with no visible pixelation. It's small enough to carry anywhere, even up the wall. As someone already said, you can get your digital images printed almost anywhere. I went with a $140 HP photo printer that does a great job. The images come out as good as anything I have seen printed professionally. You can also take digital images and overlay them on top of each other. I think it is more versatile than 35 mm but that's just my opinion.

scallywag

Sep 22, 2003, 12:53 AM
Post #8 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a Pentax Optio S about a month ago and have had no regrets whatsoever.

3.2 megapixel, 3x optical, 4x digital, $369 and fits in an altoids tin :shock: :D:.

can't ask for much more for size and versatility. and the pictures are great. i am travelling so i just go to a walmart and can put 100photos onto a CD for under $4. get two, send one home, keep the other. a lot easier to carry around.

jackscoldsweat

Sep 22, 2003, 1:22 AM
Post #9 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go here for some good tips and reviews on photo equipment used while climbing::

www.gdargaud.net

Guillaume is on a road-trip as of now, so any emails sent, probably won't see a reply for some time. But he can be helpful in answering any questions you might have.

roughster

Sep 22, 2003, 4:52 AM
Post #10 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

roughster moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster moved this thread from General to Climbing Photography.

pico23

Sep 24, 2003, 4:52 AM
Post #11 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Re: roughster moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The rebel line is pretty much an entry level AF SLR which is not a bad thing. The good news is you can take as good of pictures with it as any other camera, and the better news is you didn't blow a ton on it. Your camera is either gonna get beat up or you are gonna miss a lot of shots. The only downside to the lower end cameras is they aren't as rugged (mostly plastic), the upside is they are lighter.

It's been said on here before by people smarter than myself "the best (climbing) camera is the one that gets the shot most often"

climbsomething

Sep 24, 2003, 5:45 AM
Post #12 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh, if we told you it sucked, would you return it and buy a different one?

Make the most of it. Don't go upgrading to a camera any nicer than a $15 Walgreens special if all you're taking is butt shots anyway. There are poor, cameraless kids in Africa! :P

climbin_moo

Sep 24, 2003, 12:57 PM
Post #13 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.dpreview.com is the best site for camera reviews.

nbrown

Sep 24, 2003, 1:29 PM
Post #14 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a Nikon N-75. never had an SLR camera and I'm still trying to figure out how to use it in manual instead of shooting everything in automatic.

needmoregear

Sep 24, 2003, 2:06 PM
Post #15 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kodak disposables. sometimes i even splurge the extra
dollar and get the HQ version. don't want to be a couple
hundred feet off the ground and drop my $500 toy.

omenbringer

Sep 24, 2003, 2:36 PM
Post #16 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it really depends on what your going to do with it but if you want something that is dependable and rugged and can usually be found pretty cheap in the used market go with the Nikon manuals such as the FE or FM they are great if you dont mind manual focus. Nikon also made a light weight version which wasn't very popular and you can get new for virtually nothing. The advantage being that you have the versitility of different lens and total control. These two cameras can also be used if the battery is dead and have great cold weather performance.

pico23

Sep 24, 2003, 6:18 PM
Post #17 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Uh, if we told you it sucked, would you return it and buy a different one?

Make the most of it. Don't go upgrading to a camera any nicer than a $15 Walgreens special if all you're taking is butt shots anyway. There are poor, cameraless kids in Africa! :P

I was thinking the same thing. I guess I assume everyone does there homework before buying, I know I do! This whole buyers regret thing cracks me up.

jacob

Sep 27, 2003, 2:53 AM
Post #18 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a rebel gII, and it takes great pictures. I only have 1 lens,(35-80mm) but it still offers enough flexibility to shoot most everything. I HIGHLYrecomend buying a uv filter. Not only will it protect your lens, but it can help reduce glare and improve color saturation. The great thing about the rebels is that you can hand it to your friend (who's never used an slr in his life) and he can still snap a few shots of you on the rock. If you think you have a heavy camera, try lugging up a 20 year old pentax asahi k1000 with 3 different lenses. Man that camera must 've been carved from a block of solid steel. The upside is that it was virtually indestructible, and it didn't need batteries. Stick with the rebel, it's not as advanced as some 8,000 dollar pro slr, but then again it's no shoebox with a pinhole in the front(hey, that would be pretty light though!). Keep shooting, and have a blast.

nybble

Sep 27, 2003, 2:32 PM
Post #19 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How important is having good zoom? I've got a canon s30 which I like fairly well for it's relative compactness and good amount of manual control. But when you're out with someone on the crags, do you need some really good zoom to get in tight? It only has 3x zoom and I'm thinking of getting a tiffen 2x filter lens for it or maybe a crazy crystalvue 8x.

jacob

Sep 27, 2003, 4:44 PM
Post #20 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on what you like to shoot. If your an artsy type guy like me, a wide rage of zooms allows more artistic choices(like controlling depth of field and perspectives). As of now I only have a 35-80, but I'm looking into something in the 100-200mm range. If you want to get emotional shots with facial expressions and the work, a zoom is a must, since i don't know anybody who like a camera shoved in their face when their pumping on the crux of some route. Even though you can crop a picture in photoshop, a good zoom offers an alternative to standing 3' away. Also using a zoom can blur busy backgrounds, resulting in a more pleasing photo.

climbsomething

Sep 27, 2003, 9:37 PM
Post #21 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you think you have a heavy camera, try lugging up a 20 year old pentax asahi k1000 with 3 different lenses. Man that camera must 've been carved from a block of solid steel. The upside is that it was virtually indestructible, and it didn't need batteries.
yup yup. I like my Pentax because you can't kill it! I have hauled it up many climbs in a fanny pack (great H.I.T. training :P ), used my pack as a chair when I forgot I had my camera in it, and fallen face-first into a dry streambed with it on, and for all of my beating on it it has one tiny dent. If you're on a budget and want to learn all about fully manual cameras (and if you like that nifty old-skool ka-SHUNK of the shutter) a K1000 is a classic.

jacob

Sep 28, 2003, 1:54 PM
Post #22 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, man that thing is indestructible. Only thing is they don't(or at least mine doesn't) have adjustable zooms, so you have to change lenses to different focal lengths, which is kinda difficult when you're on the rock

madcowrockclimber

Sep 28, 2003, 4:16 PM
Post #23 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the cheap disposable kind is best. so if you drop it from the nose of el-cap it wont be a big loss.just out 10 bucks instead of 50 or 100 bucks. plus they are lighter as well.

revegentil

Sep 28, 2003, 4:58 PM
Post #24 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have heard of photographers that shoot for proffesional models, and use just any old camera from Wal-Mart, or even a disposable!

the photographer your speaking of, i believe, is one that shoots for sports illustrated. when he was a child he damaged only one eye badly so he now sees in 2d which gives him a lot of advantage when it comes to aparture and contrast. so he uses a quickshot 20 dollar camera.
i have a 1600 dollar nikon setup from when i did shoots in miami but when i climb i either take a digital or a disposable.
with your new camera i think your gonna take amazing shots of the rock your climbing with the sunset behind it or whatever....but when your actual climbing the rock you may not. good luck

pico23

Sep 29, 2003, 4:02 AM
Post #25 of 30 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Haha, man that thing is indestructible. Only thing is they don't(or at least mine doesn't) have adjustable zooms, so you have to change lenses to different focal lengths, which is kinda difficult when you're on the rock

Me Confused. I kind of thought part of the reason behind the SLR was interchangalbe lenses. Perhaps you should take a look at your K-1000 and the several hundred or perhaps thousands of aftermarket lenses available for it. All you do is press the little lens lock release button and turn the lens and it pops right off. Then you attach ANY KMAF lens in it's place and it should work. And if you really want some more choices you can pick up a M42 to K mount adapter and you have an entire line of screw mounts.

I never really thought my K-1000 was all that heavy but it sure was durable.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook