Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

yyyyyguy

Sep 26, 2003, 1:27 AM
Post #1 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Cool Tool/Knife Ideas
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello Every Body.
I'm an Industrial Design student and beginner climber. My instructor is having us develop an outdoor cutting/multipurpose tool. It is to be tailored to the specific needs of a recreational/sports group. I have chosen climbing. I'm just asking for some ideas of serious needs climbers have and possibly some that aren't being met on today's market. Thanks for your help and happy climbing.

cantclimbforsht

Sep 26, 2003, 2:00 AM
Post #2 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cool Tool/Knife Ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you obviously need a knife in climbing for a "vertical limit" style rope cutting

squish

Sep 26, 2003, 2:18 AM
Post #3 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you obviously need a knife in climbing for a "vertical limit" style rope cutting
Totally. And a beer opener would be a bonus.

justuspr

Sep 26, 2003, 2:21 AM
Post #4 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about a multi-tool, with a nut tool, piton hammer, or a few things like that on a biner so you can clip it to your rack... not really a "serious need" but it might be a starting place

ps. I always carry a knife climbing, not planning on cutting any ropes, but you always need a knife.

favorablesteak

Sep 26, 2003, 2:29 AM
Post #5 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Either a 'biner built on it, or a large hole like the Petzl Spatha so you can clip it in with a 'biner.

How about a double blade, one side flat and the other serated? (sp?)

raingod

Sep 26, 2003, 3:06 AM
Post #6 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

needs a wrench for loose bolts

Partner coldclimb

Sep 26, 2003, 3:12 AM
Post #7 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I collect knives. I love them.

I'd say a climbers knife would absolutely have to have a gate to clip it to something, and preferably a way to lock that gate closed so it can't twist and open and fall off.

Double-sided blade would be great, because there's definately uses for both serated and straight blades. I prefer straight myself, much easier to sharpen, but serated blades will probably cut through stuff like old runners much faster.

One handed opening is an absolute necessity with both right and left hands. Is it legal to have a front-opening knife if it's not spring loaded? That would be sweet. Front opening with a double-sided blade. I don't think it's legal, but you may know better than me. ;)

Make it light. As light as possible.

Stainless, absolutely. Being used like this, it is definately going to get wet and abused, and a lot of people don't treat their knives like I do. ;)

Can't think of any other climbing tools to add to it, but I'll definately throw some thought into it. This is definately a topic that I'm interested in. :D

Partner coldclimb

Sep 26, 2003, 3:15 AM
Post #8 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ooh, can't believe I missed Raingod's idea. A wrench is definately a good thing. Possibly imbedded into the end of the handle? It would make it rather thick, but you don't want to have to torque that thing with the blade open. ;) :lol:

Partner coldclimb

Sep 26, 2003, 3:17 AM
Post #9 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And by the way, if you ever do make this thing, please contact me so I can buy one. :) Possibly a discount for helping with ideas? :wink: :wink:

tenn_dawg

Sep 26, 2003, 3:18 AM
Post #10 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with coldclimb except I don't think it should have a double sided blade.

Working knives should never have double sided blades, it limits their versatility, and increases the chances of injury bigtime.

I don't think there is any such thing as a folding double bladed knife, and for good reason. I used to have a small folding knive with 2 identically sized blades, one was serated, and the other was not. I really liked that knife, but I dropped in into the blue stuff in the bottom of a port-a-pottie.

anyway...

Travis

Partner coldclimb

Sep 26, 2003, 3:22 AM
Post #11 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Working knives should never have double sided blades, it limits their versatility, and increases the chances of injury bigtime.

True. Since a choice has to be made, I would suggest a straight blade, for easy sharpening.

In reply to:
I used to have a small folding knive with 2 identically sized blades, one was serated, and the other was not. I really liked that knife, but I dropped in into the blue stuff in the bottom of a port-a-pottie.

:shock: :shock: What were you doing with your kinfe over a porta-potty? :wink: :lol: :wink:

olympicmtnboy

Sep 26, 2003, 3:24 AM
Post #12 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I kind of like the nut tool/knife idea, with a clip or hole for a biner, and a bottle opener and wrench. I always take a knife and a nut tool, I'm sure somebody would buy it if you combined the two. ;-)

tenn_dawg

Sep 26, 2003, 4:08 AM
Post #13 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

True. Since a choice has to be made, I would suggest a straight blade, for easy sharpening.

In reply to:
I used to have a small folding knive with 2 identically sized blades, one was serated, and the other was not. I really liked that knife, but I dropped in into the blue stuff in the bottom of a port-a-pottie.

:shock: :shock: What were you doing with your kinfe over a porta-potty? :wink: :lol: :wink:

The thing was in a case on my belt. When I dropped trou to take a dump, the weight of the knife pulled my belt through the first loop, and it went "plunk", and I went, "DAMNIT!!!!"

No knife is worth going up to your shoulder in portapottie blue stuff.

*shudder*

Travis

Partner coldclimb

Sep 26, 2003, 4:12 AM
Post #14 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No knife is worth going up to your shoulder in portapottie blue stuff.

*shudder*

weellllll, I dunno.... I love my knives. I'd go after my dive knife, and maybe a few others. :wink: :lol:

galt

Sep 26, 2003, 4:15 AM
Post #15 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2 Words: Bolt Gun...

rockclimbingpyro

Sep 26, 2003, 4:32 AM
Post #16 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off I love the idea of coming to the site for ideas. To start I do NOT like the new knife that just came out, forgot the name/make, that is Euro colors and has the binner made into it. The knife it self isn't big enough for the piece it fold into, check the rei knives. I do love the idea of a nut tool and a wrench on there, the wrench may not be possible but good idea! It almost sounds like it may turn out like a swis army knife style. Ohh by the way straight with serated and the back! well good luck with it.

nybble

Sep 26, 2003, 4:39 AM
Post #17 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, couldn't resist the topic, as a knife enthusiast. :) I think buck makes a couple knives with integral biners... none of them seem that great. For true ambidexterity on a one handed opening knife, you may want to look at the good ol' balisong, a knife for which I have a certain weakness. It's gotten a lot of short shrift, but is quite a practical design. Since it fully covers the blade, you could make it double edged, you could even put a little concave part on the "spine" and serate that area which would make a nice rope cutter leaving the rest unsharpened. And the butt area of the handle could be used as a make shift hammer, as it's relatively wide and flat. You can get crazy from there... I don't know how one might work a bolt gun in there, though. ;)

Partner coldclimb

Sep 26, 2003, 4:44 AM
Post #18 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rockclimbingpyro: Is the one you're talking about that new buck knife? I looked at that online, and it looked very cool. Never held one in my hands though, so I can't say how well the design works. Looks like it also was designed for climbers though.

http://www.buckknives.com/products/details.php?ID=373

justuspr

Sep 26, 2003, 4:44 AM
Post #19 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="tenn_dawg"]
In reply to:
In reply to:

I agree that if you have to choose put a straight blade. You could put a straight blade on one side of the handle and a serrated on the other, you can still have both.

Would you only want one size wrench? Or would you want it to be adjustable? (crecent style)

justuspr

Sep 26, 2003, 4:51 AM
Post #20 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On a one handed opener note: the Lev-R-Lok by Camillus is the knife I carry around all the time. A little bulky but over all I love it.

Also, maybe lean to tool toward rescue work and but a blade like this on it
http://www.camillusknives.com/...and_5851.shtml#knife

That link also shows the Lev-R-Lok mechanism.

mtkinji

Sep 26, 2003, 5:07 AM
Post #21 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sure could use a working can opener. And one of those metal matches that lights over and over. Yeah... that'd be nice.

sixter

Sep 26, 2003, 6:21 AM
Post #22 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree that if you have to choose put a straight blade. You could put a straight blade on one side of the handle and a serrated on the other, you can still have both.

Something like this? http://www.spyderco.com/...mages/medium/C44.jpg
http://www.spyderco.com/...9L3K7LCFWTG3MTWB3XD9

A month or so ago I saw thisoffering from Benchmade in a knife store. http://www.nrsweb.com/...s/prod_img/2749F.JPG
If I wasn't unemployed at the moment, I would be holding it in my hand. It almost looks like you could pop the cap off a cold one with that center hole. I have a facination for knives too. :-D I have several from Germany that I could shave with. I have been wondering about that Buck offering, I have only seen it in plastic packages, so unable to hold and fondle it. I have several blades from Buck, and do like them in general.

awsclimber

Sep 26, 2003, 9:48 AM
Post #23 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the grivel nut tool, had it for years, it has slots to be used as a wrench and it has come in handy on multiple occasions. Used it to drain filter 0the oil from a jeep in the middle of nowhere, getsome pretty cool road signs and just last night to fix my radiator, and it works quite well as a bottle opener too, AND a few weeks ago it scored me a new tech friend that was supposedly fused to the rock, it desn't have a knife though which I guess there could be a use for sometime

knuckles

Sep 26, 2003, 10:36 AM
Post #24 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Balisongs make great macho yo-yos but they are 'less-than-legal' in California, pretty dumb law considering that most of the folders know open faster. Emerson makes a little job called the Lagriffe, a hook knife with a finger hole that makes a good climbers' knife.

I had a skateboard tool once with a wrench on it conected to a hollow handle... you could load your 'tobacco products' in the socket and puff away.

beyond_gravity

Sep 26, 2003, 2:17 PM
Post #25 of 57 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get a big fucking dive knife.

mine in wonderful, I can chop down trees, hammer in pegs, fight off bears, throw it when i'm bored, and best of all it has a cool sheath that straps onto my leg like a gun.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook