RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

maculated

Sep 30, 2003, 2:39 AM
Post #1 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Aerobic activity
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm trying to train myself to have better cardiovascular capabilities but for all the knowledge I have about fitness, diet, and weights, I know jack about specifically training for this.

That said, I'm a gym rat and I finally have access to a gym, so I've been doing 30 minute bouts on two of the following machines: elliptical, stair machine, recumbent (sp?) bike, upright bike. i know an hour isn't doing too much for me, but I am so BORED with cardio. This is in addition to 20-30 min jogging a day on rolling hills.

I have access to some great peak hikes as well, but I am extremely lazy. If I'm hiking, i hike slow, and my asthma restricts my running . . .

I'm also totally forgoing weight training for the moment. I feel like the biking and climbing and push ups, etc that I do as an every-day thing is
taking care of that aspect at the moment.

Advice?

muncher

Sep 30, 2003, 2:51 AM
Post #2 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Re: Aerobic activity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How about punching cones. At the start you may need two or even three goes to suck one all the way through but soon enough you will be pulling big thumpers in one go no worries at all.

Seriously though, you sound like you do a fair bit of cardio now. Maybe whne you run do it in intervals where you really push yourself for say two minutes then back off and recover for a little while before going for another sprint. I find that really flogging yourself, pushing yourself to the point of throwing up gets the best results. Really try and red line yourself. Swimming is also very good as you really have to control your breathing.

Then again just puch cones and go surfing, maybe sqeeze a little table tennis in after.

Take care with the asthma and get out there and flog yourself.

toejam

Sep 30, 2003, 3:19 AM
Post #3 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are those full on asthma attacks you are experiencing or just shortness of breath from operating at an oxygen deficit? A doctor may be able to helpwith the former (inhalers, looking at causes), while the training you are doing will help with the latter. Proper posture can help with breathing too. Google on running form.

Aerobic exercise is such that you are breathing deeply but not out of breath. Its good for burning fat, and improving your endurance for long days. Once you are operating at an oxygen deficit, and start gasping for breath, you are operating anaerobically, burning sugars instead of fat. Running intervals is great for training your anaerobic endurance, and this will help with climbs of sustained difficulty.

Sounds like you are getting a good deal of exercise. Pick up an MP3 player to assuage the boredom, or go surfing like the man said. Surfing, fencing, or mountainbiking are fun ways to get a mix of aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

karmaklimber

Sep 30, 2003, 3:28 AM
Post #4 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I'd have to agree, that does sound like a bunch of cardio, though I can't blame you for getting bored with it. Afterall, lots of things seem boring compared to climbing :)

For someone who claims to not know jack about specifically training for it, it sure does sound like you've got your workout planned.

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice about cardio, as it seems you have most of it covered.

As far as weight training goes, what are your goals?

onelung

Sep 30, 2003, 3:32 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very simple to find and workout at the aerobic level. Get a heart rate monitor. When you hike or workout you can keep yourself at the correct level of effort by how many beats the heart is going at.

I hike/run for 6 hrs plus at over 70% my max HR.

If you don't know your HR, how do know you are at aerobic level of effort?

Cheers,
bill

maculated

Sep 30, 2003, 3:32 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No goals for weights. I just throw weights in if I am feeling weak or in need of sculpting. I'm strong enough as it is without too many weights.

Surfing, good idea . . . must learn how to surf again . . .

Thanks for the ideas guys . . . I have excercise asthma . . . I'm fine for x amount of time, and then I start up coughing fits (usually after running, never have a problem in the gym, but I breathe more erratically during 'natural' excercise, like climbing and running, which brings it on. I'm trying to avoid medication if possible and have been fairly successful).

Okay, how about this? If I'm training for high altitude (and live at sea level) how much cardio is that gonna take?

m-d
Deleted

Sep 30, 2003, 3:34 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you have access to some great peak hikes? always bring all your climbing gear in a pack,

with 60pounds++ a slow hiking can be hard... :)

valeberga

Sep 30, 2003, 3:35 AM
Post #8 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've got a good training regimen to follow already. For me, the best cardio workout is climbing a major peak. One that involves a lot of altitude. That way you are getting one hell of a workout, but you don't get bored because you are in such a beautiful environment, and you have a tangible goal. You can hike at your limit for 6 hours straight, and the whole time your mind is distracted by all the cool stuff around you and the variety of the route. You may even get some low-grade rock climbing along the way. Start with a peak that requires 3000 to 4000 feet of gain and see how that feels. You can work your way up to 6000 vertical feet or more in a day, and the higher you go, the less oxygen there is and the harder your system has to work.

valeberga

Sep 30, 2003, 3:38 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For me, the best cardio workout is climbing a major peak. One that involves a lot of altitude.

I feel I should warn you to be careful with altitude, as climbing too fast can make you sick. If you already have issues with breathing, then be very careful while climbing because altitude might exacerbate your condition.

sandbag

Sep 30, 2003, 3:42 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

intervals
high alt training as much as you can handle
adequate rest
repeat
eat right
drink plenty of fluids
go like hell
:wink:

toejam

Sep 30, 2003, 4:15 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Okay, how about this? If I'm training for high altitude (and live at sea level) how much cardio is that gonna take?

It depends on the altitude, intensity of excercise, and the amount of time you have to acclimate. Three days in Tuolumne and I hardly notice the difference from Ventura. Personally, having grown up with severe asthma, I tend to be fairly comfortable operating with an oxygen deficit, an advantage in competitive endurance sports.

Asthma attacks are fairly rare for me now, but can be brought on by a combination of factors. Exercise, extremely dry, cold, and/or humid air, exposure to smoke, pollen, dust, or residue of bronchitis. Sucks when it hits you about a lap out into a mountain lake :shock:.

If you are getting hit with asthma attacks in the middle of a climb, then I definitely recommend you carry an inhaler. Just don't use it as a crutch. Also start looking at other factors that may be increasing the frequency of your attacks. Vacuum under your bed, minimize the dust and carpet in your house, boot smokers outside etc. The moist ocean air can mean a lot more molds you might be allergic to. Lots of pollen in this area, but ya can't do much about that.

maculated

Sep 30, 2003, 4:47 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Re the Asthma:

It's only excercised induced if I breathe too deeply for an extended period of time. It certainly isn't a crutch, but if I am gripped on a lead, I'll know the rest of the day thanks to that nagging pain and shortness of breath following.

Not a concern. I'll look into it if it becomes full-blown asthma, but for now, just a minor irriation. ;)

gat

Oct 10, 2003, 6:10 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word...rower! I love the darn things so much I bought one for home. On a rower you will burn more calories than almost any other activity (x-c skiing is similar). You will use every muscle in your body, except chest - but who needs that for climbing anyways, right?

You can get a full body burn like you may have never experienced before. I have literally thrown up at the end of more than one attempt on a 2000M pr. :oops:

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook