RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

imnjerz

Sep 30, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Climbing when you're sick
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have suddenly caught an unshakable bug (I've been sniffling for over a week) and suspect I probably got it from climbing at the gym and forgetting to wash my hands before heading home (yick).

Unfortunately, I don't take well to being sick. I still work out and generally act as if everything is normal (unless I'm asked to stay late at work, which is when I start hacking up a lung).

Anyway, does anyone else out there push it when they're under the weather? Does it hurt or help to get your body better? I'm not talking about a walking pneumonia or anything, just some sniffles and sore throat. I still get plenty of sleep, drink tea all day and make sure I'm properly hydrated.

So, is it a good idea to give in and sleep all day, or continue to exercise, but not over-do it?

gblauer

Sep 30, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing when you're sick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They say if you are feeling sick from the neck up...then knock yourself out. If you are feely achy from the neck down then rest.

me...I just climb when I feel like it...sick or not. Sometimes I am terrible when I am sick other times I am in the "zone".

dalguard

Sep 30, 2003, 5:38 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find with a cold that I can sometimes stave off the full effects of the cold by keeping active. If you've got a fever you should rest.

sroehlk

Sep 30, 2003, 6:08 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well personally it really depends on my energy level when I'm sick - sometimes all I want to do is sleep. It really sucks when I can't shake a cold and it stays around for a couple weeks.

iamthewallress

Sep 30, 2003, 6:32 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you think you got sick from a bug you picked up at the climbing gym, maybe you should think twice about climbing at the gym yourself when you are under the weather?

As for other exercise...I tend to get obsessive about climbing and working out. If I'm sick and I feel like I still need to get out and exercise, I often take it as an oportunity to remind myself to detach a little from the craving. If I have a trip planned (i.e. commitments have been made, plane tickets purchased, etc) I'll bring a lot of cold medicine and warm clothes and hope I feel better as the trip progresses.

winter

Sep 30, 2003, 6:42 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always climb when I'm sick unless I have an inordinatly high fever. I also run. This summer I did a 30 plus mile backpacking trip. I was sick for the first 2.5 months of summer so that's what I had to do, that or sit around. Lucky for most of it, it was just a really bad cough, no fever.

enigma

Oct 1, 2003, 6:34 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last winter I went to Josh with the flu. It was a big mistake.
I had terrible chills while camping and even had to get up in the middle of the night to throw up. I was so weak, that I couldn't climb but a couple of routes per day.
After about 5 days , feeling nauseated, weak, and with chills and a fever , I truthfully wanted to go home but felt too sick to drive.
Finally I felt okay, If I had to do it again, I would have stayed home, and not went climbing.
Get yourself better , then go climbing. :P

mayhematic

May 15, 2013, 7:01 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imnjerz] Climbing when you're sick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm if it's just a cold I will usually climb and I normally pretend everythings fine when i'm sick to as I don't like to make a fuss.

tbh with me it just depends on whether or not I feel up to climbing. Which most of the time I do.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook