Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Schooner lake, Southern Ontario... winter camping and pro.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

tendertendons

Oct 6, 2003, 2:41 PM
Post #1 of 2 (937 views)
Shortcut

Schooner lake, Southern Ontario... winter camping and pro.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you have ice climbed out at Schooner lake? The Toronto Section of the ACC has some beta on their site and some of the longer WI3-4 stuff looks fun. Particularily a 95 m climb thats considered a classic. So my question is 2 part:

1) Have any of you camped out there and how accessible is the winter crag? Should we pay for the snowmobile ride out?

2) If we're running 100-150' pitches what's a reasonable ice rack? I have 3 16 cm BD Turbos now but it looks like that will only be good enough for one belay station.

Thanks in advance.

stevo

Oct 6, 2003, 3:06 PM
Post #2 of 2 (937 views)
Shortcut

Re: Schooner lake, Southern Ontario... winter camping and pr [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Schooner lake,
It is a long ski in with many up and downhills if you follow the ACC directions. Some colourful locals told us it was better to take the road on the right instead of the road on the left and then ski along the lakes, much flatter. I figure this is good advice, I would recommend a map for this.

Camping and climbing there a few days is the preferred method, although my friend and i didn't do that. We preferred to ski far and carry less, then to ski with all that weight. You want to time this right, make sure the other conditions of ice falls in the area are good before you venture into this area.

I wouldn't use a snowmobile, as it is only a 10km ski. As far as a rack, when I was climbing in that area we were carrying nine ice screws. I never remember putting 3 screws into a belay anywhere. We often used trees and whatever for anchors, had a few pins. I would not carry this many ice screws now.

In that roughly same area I would recommend diamond lake and Bon echo. Bon echo has some killer potential for harder ice/mixed lines. But I didn't have the skill back then, and now I live too far. As well, the colourful locals told us about a number of other climbed and unclimbed pillars in the area.
Have a good time.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook