RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

cardboarddog

Oct 7, 2003, 10:19 AM
Post #1 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Wet gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was caught in a downpour the other day, and all my runners and quickdraws were soaked. Does anyone know if this effects the tensile strength of the webbing, and if so, how? Should I replace?

findingit

Oct 7, 2003, 10:31 AM
Post #2 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wet gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Air dry them and they will be fine. Strength is compromised while they are wet. There is no need to replace them after a soaking, it's actually a good idea to wash them now and again to remove abrasive dust from the fibers. That being said don't use abrasive detergents, and handwash them. Check the manufacturers recommendations for more info.

Have fun....I see you climb in the gunks, lucky you......I may be there this coming weekend. Keep the weather nice for me!

later

Clint

cardboarddog

Oct 7, 2003, 10:37 AM
Post #3 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be there Sunday, hopefully I can keep the weather nice for both of us!

Thanks for the info 8)

vertical_reality

Oct 7, 2003, 10:48 AM
Post #4 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only problem I've ever heard of with gear getting wet is with a waterknot. If a waterknot gets wet and then dries it basically becomes pernament.

Actually now that I think about it, what if a dynamic rope gets wet and then freezes, is there a chance the ice crystals can cut some fibers?

cardboarddog

Oct 7, 2003, 10:55 AM
Post #5 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually, water knots becoming permanent isn't such a bad thing. They tend to untie a little too easy for my tastes (in webbing that is).

pico23

Oct 7, 2003, 3:27 PM
Post #6 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was caught in a downpour the other day, and all my runners and quickdraws were soaked. Does anyone know if this effects the tensile strength of the webbing, and if so, how? Should I replace?

Troll Alert

To answer the question the nylon is ruined. Please send them to me so I can dispose of those slings properly.

pico23

Oct 7, 2003, 3:37 PM
Post #7 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The only problem I've ever heard of with gear getting wet is with a waterknot. If a waterknot gets wet and then dries it basically becomes pernament.

Actually now that I think about it, what if a dynamic rope gets wet and then freezes, is there a chance the ice crystals can cut some fibers?

Old Wives tales.

The water knot is never permanent. My waterknoted slings get wet all the time and I somehow manage to unwork the knot with nothing more than my fingers. I'll admit is it harder to get it undone but definitely not permanent.

Ropes freeze all the time in alpine and winter evironments, they lose strenght because the dynamic properties or wet rope are reduced. Frozen ropes are actually stronger than wet unfrozen ropes. There is about a maximum 50% UIAA fall reduction in frozen ropes and closer to 70% in wet ropes. It's assumed that if a frozen rope remained frozen for all the falls on a UIAA fall test that the rope would actually hold as many falls as a dry/unfrozen rope.

icelandwinky

Oct 8, 2003, 10:09 AM
Post #8 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Well, I wouldn't say that getting a water knot wet would make it permanent but when i tie a water knot in a piece of nylon webbing i usually put a little water on the knot itself then cinch it down tight and let it dry. It seems to make for a tighter knot anyway. Not sure why i do this, probably because back when i was learning to tie the knot, the guy teaching me did it.
Travis

overlord

Oct 8, 2003, 10:41 AM
Post #9 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that would work for a hemp rope, but i dont believe nylon contrats when wet and then dried.

cardboarddog

Oct 8, 2003, 2:55 PM
Post #10 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Troll Alert

To answer the question the nylon is ruined. Please send them to me so I can dispose of those slings properly.

Normally I wouldn't respond to Flame bag like yourself, but that happened to be a perfectly legitimate question. Like I'm going to reel in all kinds of posts with Wet Gear. Whoa. Can't wait to jump on that one.

dynoguy

Oct 8, 2003, 3:02 PM
Post #11 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is that why they call it a "water" knot? :lol:

pico23

Oct 8, 2003, 3:19 PM
Post #12 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Troll Alert

Normally I wouldn't respond to Flame bag like yourself, but that happened to be a perfectly legitimate question. Like I'm going to reel in all kinds of posts with Wet Gear. Whoa. Can't wait to jump on that one.

I realized your post was real after I posted. But I don't understand why people assume that there climbing gear can be damaged by anything and everything. Nylon is fairly inert and aside from battery acid and soaking it in pee for 24 hours or longer not much will damage it's safety. I think the gear manufacturers create this uncertainty so we'll buy more gear more often.

redpoint73

Oct 8, 2003, 3:32 PM
Post #13 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember reading the results of some tests that indicated that ropes/slings actually INCREASE in strength after getting wet and being allowed to dry properly. Not sure if I read that here, or online, or from one of the mags.

Partner coldclimb

Oct 8, 2003, 4:22 PM
Post #14 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I realized your post was real after I posted. But I don't understand why people assume that there climbing gear can be damaged by anything and everything. Nylon is fairly inert and aside from battery acid and soaking it in pee for 24 hours or longer not much will damage it's safety. I think the gear manufacturers create this uncertainty so we'll buy more gear more often.

Wow. I now know who to never ever let around my climbing gear. :shock: :shock:

pico23

Oct 8, 2003, 9:20 PM
Post #15 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I remember reading the results of some tests that indicated that ropes/slings actually INCREASE in strength after getting wet and being allowed to dry properly. Not sure if I read that here, or online, or from one of the mags.

You more than likely read it here. I posted that info a few months ago. It was courtesy of Singing Rock engineers. It's also where I got my data on frozen ropes being stronger than wet ropes and not if kept frozen not that much weaker than a dry non frozen rope.

cardboarddog

Oct 9, 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #16 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You more than likely read it here. I posted that info a few months ago. It was courtesy of Singing Rock engineers. It's also where I got my data on frozen ropes being stronger than wet ropes and not if kept frozen not that much weaker than a dry non frozen rope.

*Deleted*

cardboarddog

Oct 9, 2003, 12:46 AM
Post #17 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*deleted*

johnnord

Oct 9, 2003, 6:33 AM
Post #18 of 18 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To untie a stubborn water knot roll it back and forth on a flat rock with the palm of your hand.
A thought about gear failure. Of the over 5,000 accidents reported in AAC Accidents in North American Mountaineering since 1951, only 14 have been due to equipment failure. There is no analysis of how many of those 14 were due to rope, cordolette, or webbing breakage. The vast majority were due to operator error. More experienced climber have accidents than noobs. Because there are more experienced climbers than new? Because they take more risks? Because they get careless? About 50% are climbers between the ages of 15 and 25. Lack of judgement? Lack of training?
Climb smart.
John

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook