Forums: Community: Campground:
Alter egos ! What do you do in every day life?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

rockhippie

Feb 13, 2002, 4:56 AM
Post #1 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Alter egos ! What do you do in every day life?
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to know more about what some of you do , is it climbing related or do you suffer in purgitory all week long just so you can go climbing on the weekends?
I personally install glass in office towers and other buildings, nothing like being 40 or 50 floors up on a swing stage.. spill it!!!

Partner iclimbtoo

Feb 13, 2002, 7:55 AM
Post #2 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Alter egos ! What do you do in every day life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a college student Communications major/Religion minor. I work at our climbing wall on campus, and the only reason that I picked a major and minor is because they wouldn't let me invent a climbing major. I will soon graduate and hopefully get a comm job explaining routes to people out in CO!!!

phasenoise

Feb 13, 2002, 10:09 AM
Post #3 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a low life Research Engineer. Working for one of the big mobile phone companies, inventing new toys.....I mean phones/communications devices for you people. My work day consists of building walls of computer code. During winter I hybernate or climb indoors and in summer I climb wherever I can outdoors. Since we have 24 hours sunshine in summer I never sleep and never stop climbing for 3-4 months

Bringing the internet to a phone near you.

reno

Feb 13, 2002, 11:26 AM
Post #4 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work as a paramedic on the ambulance in central Atlanta. Spending 10 hours a day, 4 days a week, responding to 9-1-1 calls for medical assistance.

Best,

JRB

mountainrat

Feb 13, 2002, 11:46 AM
Post #5 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a shepherd.

[ This Message was edited by: mountainrat on 2002-02-13 03:47 ]

Partner russman

Feb 13, 2002, 2:15 PM
Post #6 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a lowly tire changer at the largest Tire Dealer in the PNW...Les Schwab Tire Centers.

I can change your 18" Honda tires up to the local Monster Truck Tires and many many more

bigfish03

Feb 13, 2002, 4:07 PM
Post #7 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

play guitar when not reading AP history homwork.

atg200

Feb 13, 2002, 4:14 PM
Post #8 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Road warrior Unix and Oracle computer consultant for mines, utilities, and the defense department. Never in the same place twice.

For anybody who is thinking that a traveling job may be fun - forget it. Fun for a month, then it just sucks.

[ This Message was edited by: atg200 on 2002-02-13 14:11 ]

harleyjon

Feb 13, 2002, 4:24 PM
Post #9 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a college student (Biology/pre-med major) and I coach high school wrestling on the side. I also live in Kansas so I don't have much time or opportunity to climb during the school year. But I always go to Colorado or Arkansas in the summers and climb as much as a I can.

woodse

Feb 13, 2002, 4:27 PM
Post #10 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a college student majoring in small business. At night I work at the college info desk...so much fun! yeah right. Anyways I'm hoping to do some guiding for tourists this summer and in a few years...I'm going to own my own guiding service.

woodsE

clmbnski

Feb 13, 2002, 5:09 PM
Post #11 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im a freshman college student in electrical engineering. I right now I plan to graduate make a few bucks and then become a bum

clymber

Feb 13, 2002, 5:16 PM
Post #12 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im a cell site tech. So the next time you try to call on your cell phone and for some strange reason it wont work its probably my fault for not fixxing it

kyhangdog

Feb 13, 2002, 5:22 PM
Post #13 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a sixth-rade language arts teacher.

Partner camhead

Feb 13, 2002, 5:34 PM
Post #14 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

College student finishing up my undergrad and beginning my PhD in Western American History.
To pay the bills I guide whitewater trips in the summer, and play really bad bar gigs with my rock band.

paulc

Feb 13, 2002, 6:28 PM
Post #15 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Electrical engineer for a fiber optics company. Spend most of my time in the winter thinking about how nice it would be to be climbing. And most my time in the summer climbing, and when I don't climb in the summer thinking about how nice it would be to be climbing.

Paul

rockandbold

Feb 13, 2002, 6:33 PM
Post #16 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a head honco techie at a security system company and the only thing that keep my sanity at work is climbing!

uhighfreak

Feb 13, 2002, 6:37 PM
Post #17 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Student at UM-Columbia studying civil engineering. I climb on the weekends and when my schudule allows me. Not a full time climber.

climberchic

Feb 13, 2002, 6:41 PM
Post #18 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. This is a strange topic. I've read a lot of posts of the members that responded here and it's funny thinking of you guys doing anything BUT climbing.

A few things I've noticed about climbers and their jobs. Some similarities, if you will. Most of the climbers I've met seem to have careers that somehow fit into these categories: Engineer, Architect, IT and other technical jobs/careers (or just odd jobs). Anything involving talent with spatial manipulation, problem solving, etc. They also seem to have an uncanny knack to whoop butt at pool (billiards). Anyone else notice this? Now, this doesn't meant that you HAVE to have one of these jobs to be any good or just enjoy climbing (see below), but they seem to mix well.

With that being said, here's my non-technical job
I work as an environmental planner, which means that I research and write environmental clearances for the AZ DOT as well as try to get state scenic byways nominated for federal recognition. This means more $$ for wildlife refuges, beautification efforts and maintenance and protection of scenic, natural, cultural, historical, archaeological and recreational qualities. I love it because it allows me freedom to travel all over the state and really check out the remote areas/side roads. I've found a lot of potential climbing areas this way.
When I'm in the office, I try to climb at the gym during weekday evenings and outside on the weekends.

Sorry..this was probably way more of a response than you were looking for, but I get carried away sometimes.

[ This Message was edited by: climberchic on 2002-02-13 10:58 ]

blueman

Feb 13, 2002, 8:24 PM
Post #19 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right now, I'm a HVAC Designer. I control environments for Laboratories/Hospitals mostly in San Diego & I can't wait to change my career. I can't stand being indoors, and I think it's pretty silly to control an environment in one of the best climates in the Nation. I do hope to become an engineer and develope alternative power sources, and use that knowledge to build a ecotourist trap somewhere

jt512

Feb 13, 2002, 8:44 PM
Post #20 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:Most of the climbers I've met seem to have careers that somehow fit into these categories: Engineer, Architect, IT and other technical jobs/careers (or just odd jobs). Anything involving talent with spatial manipulation, problem solving, etc.

Science and technology types (ie, nerds) seem to be over-represented in climbing. I think it is because the sport attracts loners. As a friend of mine says, "the high-school football quarterback and the prom queen didn't become rockclimbers."

-Jay

rigel

Feb 13, 2002, 8:53 PM
Post #21 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was a EE doing computer design, now i'm in marketing.

climberchic

Feb 13, 2002, 9:22 PM
Post #22 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay,

I agree and disagree. The sport definitly attracts "loners" who seem to, ironically, find solice with each other. Some of the most gifted climbers I've met have been the shy, silent, humble types who lead very simple lifestyles and are unimpressed with the hustle and bustle of society at large. Maybe these characteristics are what labels them "loners"...

As far as the "nerd" status, I was just discussing this with someone the other day. Now, maybe I am one of them, (which would make me blind to others like myself) but do we really still have geek or nerd labels out of high school? Of course, I've seen a few people climbing 5.7's in the gym wearing every piece of climbing gear they own. I can see how they could reinstate that status but these people are not the climbing masses. I look at people today that would have been classified as such in high school, but are now regarded as cool for being individuals.

It's just that some of the coolest people I have ever had the privilage of knowing have been climbers, and again, a lot of them are engineers, architects, and the like.

~Erica

smellydude

Feb 13, 2002, 9:25 PM
Post #23 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a chef de saucier in a downtown Renaissance hotel. Start work whenever and go home when they tell me too. Ever been hit with a stalk of celery?

jt512

Feb 13, 2002, 9:40 PM
Post #24 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:Climberchic: As far as the "nerd" status, I was just discussing this with someone the other day. Now, maybe I am one of them, (which would make me blind to others like myself) but do we really still have geek or nerd labels out of high school?

Yes, more than ever, but now it's cool to be a nerd, so it's a compliment.

Quote:Of course, I've seen a few people climbing 5.7's in the gym wearing every piece of climbing gear they own. I can see how they could reinstate that status but these people are not the climbing masses.

Well, here in L.A., they sort of are the climbing masses, but they are not nerds. On the contrary, they tend to be chic, yuppy climber-wannabes -- the same ones who drive to the crags in Audi sports cars and climb at urban crags with those silly two-way radios.

Quote:I look at people today that would have been classified as such in high school, but are now regarded as cool for being individuals.

Yes, this is true.

-Jay (now where did I leave that pocket protector)

[ This Message was edited by: jt512 on 2002-02-13 13:41 ]

metoliusmunchkin

Feb 13, 2002, 9:42 PM
Post #25 of 125 (4560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am currently a student at R.L. Beattie public school in Sudbury Ontario, and am in grade 8. Yes, I too am forced to suffer through the very, very long weeks, only to save myself and climb on the weekends.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook