Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bumblie

Oct 13, 2003, 6:27 PM
Post #26 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Re: average hiking distance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe it was the arrogant condescending tone of your initial post. :roll:

micahmcguire

Oct 13, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #27 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well ladeeda mr. sensitive. how would you like me to sugar-coat it for you?

climbforchrist

Oct 13, 2003, 6:53 PM
Post #28 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont think he was being arrogant, maybe it came off that way. No offense but it just goes to show how little Americans know about their own geography. Case in point I was down visiting a friend from New york and he actually thought Texas was the biggest state and Alaska was the size of like New york. Ok this is sad really sad. its pretty sad when people from Europe, Canada and other industralized nations know more about the USA then Americans do.

bxt

Oct 13, 2003, 7:02 PM
Post #29 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How far do you all generally push yourselves while hiking?

Really, it depends. If we're talking a training hike that is of low aesthetic value (not hard from here) then I'll load up a heavy pack and punch out 10 miles in the evening or night. On a weekend, that may be after two other workouts if I'm getting ready for a trip- all day, low aesthetic workouts are boring.

While backpacking in the mountains, my MO is to go dawn to dusk, super-light, fast and off trail where I see fit-- I call it "kamikaze backpacking", the miles don't matter just keep pushing and keep it fun. Really, I don't see any enjoyment out of going till I puke however.

For another perspective to this question you can look at long trail hikers like those who do the 2170+ mile Appalachian Trail- statistics show that of the 20% or so that finish the hike, it takes the average hiker about six months to complete- that's between 11-12 miles per day, everyday, on average... and you will have some down days and possibly some injuries to contend with. Range is between 4-8 months but, as I found out from my little brother (who did a full thru-hike)- there are many people on the trail who "BS" their way across by blue-blazing, yellow-blazing and slack-packing.

climbforchrist

Oct 13, 2003, 7:06 PM
Post #30 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

your liable to get shot on the APC

bumblie

Oct 13, 2003, 7:08 PM
Post #31 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe it was the arrogant condescending tone of your initial post. :roll:

My mistake. Actually it was your third post that came across that way. Now it seems that it was just a case of ignorance.

mozea

Oct 13, 2003, 7:14 PM
Post #32 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
your liable to get shot on the APC

i'm confused. what does this imply? are you talking about the ap trail here? if so, please expound. if not, disregard this post as pure ignorance! :) thanx, MJO

brutusofwyde

Oct 13, 2003, 10:50 PM
Post #33 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Longest day carrying a 50-pound backpack: 32 miles on John Muir trail (Age 18 or so)

Most elevation gain in a day: 9,700 ft. -- 5 horizontal miles (Age 19)

Longest day on foot: 52 miles. (Age ~ 37). My dog (a Border Collie) blew out all four pads and I had to carry her the last 10 miles. Four days later I climbed the DNB in 17 hours car to car.

This summer Nurse Ratchet and I hiked the 17 miles into Lake Magog in Alberta, and it pretty much whupped us. We took the helicopter on the way out.

Heck, yesterday's hike out Mahogany Canyon from a high camp in Chard Canyon kicked our butts, and that was only about 12 miles, with day packs.

My average approach hike these days is -- as short as possible. Sometimes it takes a full day just to get the haul bags to the base of El Capitan from the Meadow, which is normally a short 15 minute stroll with no pack.

(Brutus, toddering along in my chrome-plated walker, wearing his Depends)

micahmcguire

Oct 13, 2003, 11:06 PM
Post #34 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nice dude, 52 miles in a day. thats phenominal

rvega

Oct 13, 2003, 11:41 PM
Post #35 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you serious? 52 miles in a day? That's crazy. My feet could never handle that much hiking. The most I can do with a moderate weight pack is 20 miles a day without my feet completely cashing out. Usually when I go climbing I average a 5 mile hike round trip, but backpacking about 10-12 miles a day is average. 52? MILES? I may have to call shannigans on that.

eric

Oct 14, 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #36 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

52 miles is not at all crazy. A long long way, but not unrealistic. I've never gone that distance but I know I could... I've come close many times. Lots of LD backpackers are quite capable of doing that if they aren't carrying so much weight. And some even if they are.

When I biked more I did distances you might hesitate to drive in a car (aaah, youth!). It's like a lot of things, you get used to it :)

mattheww

Oct 14, 2003, 12:08 AM
Post #37 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started Section Hiking the Appalachian Trail this past April and did 106 miles in 9 days which seemed to be a pretty average pace for people starting at Springer Mtn and heading north. On that hike I took it pretty easy and did several 10 mile days with a couple in the 13's and the longest at 17 miles. I was carrying a 35-40lbs pack with water and 4-5 days food. I'll be leaving next weekend to do another 160 miles from Franklin NC, thru the Smoky Mtns and into Hot Springs NC. I hope to do it in 14 days. It seemed that most people average 2 mph when hiking rough terrain without trying to kill themselves.

jagungal

Oct 14, 2003, 12:09 AM
Post #38 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No doubt 40 miles is doable, but Micah implies it's a typical long hike for him. And that 20 miles in on the low end of the scale. :roll:

Why are folks so doubting about a 40 mile hike? It's not that far if it's along trails. Distance is all pretty meaningless anyway. How far you get in a day depends on so many other factors: terrain, altitude, vegetation, temperature + humidity, packweight, gravitational pull of the moon and outer planets :wink: and of course, how cold the beer is in the car/pub at the end (if it's the final day of course). In a standard 10-12 hour day you could do anywhere from 1 to 70km depending on conditions.

catra

Oct 14, 2003, 12:26 AM
Post #39 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband and i Fast packed (ran/hiked) the JMT in July....30 miles a day. We finished in 7 days 223 miles...

My fasted time in a 100 mile trail race is 26:17....

Cheers,
Catra

http://www.rocknrun.net

eric

Oct 14, 2003, 3:06 AM
Post #40 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Heh. But fess up Catra, what's the greatest distance you've covered in one "day" (ie one continuous hike)? Curious.

catra

Oct 14, 2003, 3:26 AM
Post #41 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Eric-

I don't usually just hike... I like to get places faster so trail running is my thing.... When your trail running you do hike some of the up hills...

Let's see there was the time when i hurt my foot and had to walk 62 miles it took 20 hours... I was out on a solo run... was trying to run 100 miles...

My poor friend had to stay with me for 30 miles... I limped all they way back along the Ohlone Wilderness trail.. What an epic that was..

Cheers,
Catra

http://www.rocknrun.net

pico23

Oct 14, 2003, 3:29 AM
Post #42 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I dont think he was being arrogant, maybe it came off that way. No offense but it just goes to show how little Americans know about their own geography. Case in point I was down visiting a friend from New york and he actually thought Texas was the biggest state and Alaska was the size of like New york. Ok this is sad really sad. its pretty sad when people from Europe, Canada and other industralized nations know more about the USA then Americans do.

Ok, i love american bashing as much as anyone but what some people don't realize is that America is a pretty diverse country and I'm only talking about the lower 48. Toss in Alaska, Hawaii and the territories and you have one hell of a diverse country. Europe on the other hand is pretty compact and not as diverse. Through in the fact that Americans don't travel as much as Europeans because they don't get as much time off and you have the makings of a very ignorant society.

That said, I can see getting sizes confused but to think Alaska is about the size of NY is pretty funny. NY is ranked about 25-30th in state size (depending on whether water area is counted) and while it is big by northeast standards its a moderate sized state so I would have loved to have heard the Jay Walk Allstar you talked to spew that sh!t.

Your right though, i'll second the fact that the average american is ignorant to his fellow country members geographic and social differences.

onelung

Oct 14, 2003, 3:32 AM
Post #43 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Heh. But fess up Catra, what's the greatest distance you've covered in one "day" (ie one continuous hike)? Curious.

Since I was watching one of these .....

one continuous? Yes 100 miles no stop, She didnt even sit down!

One 24 hr period? Well take a pace of 100 miles in 26:17 thats 3.82 miles per hr? Times that by 24 and we can safely say Catra covered 91.86 miles in a mere 24 hrs.

Damn Girl!

Now me....a mere mortal.....
Longest Hike I remember 40+ miles in a day. Mostly daylight.

Average hike 16 to 25 miles.

Oh yea and the 100 I watched Catra do...had a +- elevation change of over 35,000 ft.

Hey its a good life yea!
bill

pico23

Oct 14, 2003, 3:44 AM
Post #44 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I started Section Hiking the Appalachian Trail this past April and did 106 miles in 9 days which seemed to be a pretty average pace for people starting at Springer Mtn and heading north. On that hike I took it pretty easy and did several 10 mile days with a couple in the 13's and the longest at 17 miles. I was carrying a 35-40lbs pack with water and 4-5 days food. I'll be leaving next weekend to do another 160 miles from Franklin NC, thru the Smoky Mtns and into Hot Springs NC. I hope to do it in 14 days. It seemed that most people average 2 mph when hiking rough terrain without trying to kill themselves.

I'm not a fast hiker. 15-20 miles is a good day for me and thats if my goal is just point to point hiking with a few hours of daylight when i get to camp. Occasionally I've been inclined to do speed hikes of 12-15 miles in less than 4 hours but in most cases pushing 4mph is tough for me. In mid summer if my feet would hold up I could do 30miles if I was inclined. If you're a faster hiker 40 is doable but I'd have to think it would be terrain dependent.

for most of my long distance backpacking most 15 miles is a honest day. I'm happy to chug along at 2mph average and knock off 12 in a day on mountainous terrain. Having goals is great but whats the point in getting away from deadlines and itineraries if you are gonna create deadlines and hard itineraries for yourself.

bandycoot

Oct 14, 2003, 4:01 AM
Post #45 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't mind hiking 10 + miles with elevation change for a good climb. I'll do that in a day anytime. My worst day yet was when a friend and I did Charlotte Dome in the Sierras from the east in a day. It has a 12 mile approach and lots of elevation gain/loss. We did it in 22 and 1/4 hours. It would have been faster but exhaustion forced us to pass out in the middle of the trail around mile 17. I think that elevation killed us more than anything since we are from San Diego.

Josh

gatorclimber

Oct 14, 2003, 4:09 AM
Post #46 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm training for BUD/S so I run about 6-7 miles a day and swim 2-3 every other. I haven't really hiked a long way with a heavy load but my runs are all done in deep sand. Climbing wise, the longest approach I have ever done was about 20min :wink: . All those marines/army guys who think their tough aren't doing anything that amazing. With the right amount of time and training almost anyone can go through boot camp without a problem.

mattheww

Oct 14, 2003, 4:18 AM
Post #47 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you completely about not setting timelines when doing long distance hiking. The only reason this ones different is that you're supposed to stay in the shelters in the Smokies or risk a heavy fine if caught not doing so. Because of this my mileage is dictated by where the shelters are located. My first hike I had PLANNED to average about 8 miles a day, but after the first couple days I threw my schedule out the window and just decided to hike until I had to come off the trail. I think I enjoyed the freedom of NOT having a schedule because of the freedom it gives you.

hema

Oct 14, 2003, 6:16 AM
Post #48 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On my last "summer" hiking trip our walking (and walkout) days were about 12 miles and our backpacks weighted about 66 lbs. Though they were quite full hiking days (somewhere around 7 h).

So hiking with a fullpack for 10 miles is not really a problem, the problem lies in doing it day after day. Luckily we desdited to form a basecamp and do the rest of our scrambling/hiking with day-sacks though most of the days were still around 6 to 8 miles long.

Oh and to point out I'm really out of shape, so 10 miles for a fit person should be just fine.

micahmcguire

Oct 16, 2003, 8:00 AM
Post #49 of 49 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, there are certainly some bad-ass climbers out there (Catra, I'm looking at you)!! thanks to those who eventually answered my question. for what its worth, most of you people are too soft...go hike something good and long. especially that fag bumblie. go take a long walk off a short pier.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook