Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

nwrestler03

Oct 19, 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #1 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

college climbers??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How many people here are in college and climb? I know there is a group of solid climbers at University of Maryland, but i have to say maryland is a poor state for climbing in general. So where u at? Does your school have a wall? indoor or outdoor? Do they have a team? any interesting facts? thanks, peace.

jono

Oct 19, 2003, 12:51 AM
Post #2 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Re: college climbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah im a college climber. we got a gym here at WSU but i have never been. no team that i know of. climbing here is pretty poor but if you are willing to drive an hour or more you can find great climbing.

alwaysforward

Oct 19, 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #3 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Midterms are making me weak.

krestkid

Oct 19, 2003, 12:59 AM
Post #4 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Baylor University climber right here! We have a 52 foot indoor rock in our gym...but the climbing club no longer exists. Our Outdoor Adventure Organization takes climbing trips, never been on one but I think they would be fun. Also the people that work at the Rock are very nice and are willing to let you tag along when they head outside. Some of the buildings around campus are very nice for climbing...just have to watch out for the campus cops. (Sorry to hear about the Wazzu climber that died buildering.)

I agree that midterms take priority over climbing...lucky me no midterms this semester! I also find myself procrastinating more during finals week, which means more time climbing and more time on rc.com.

raindog

Oct 19, 2003, 1:19 AM
Post #5 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to NAU in Flagstaff, AZ.

There is good climbing up here.

-Jeff

petsfed

Oct 19, 2003, 1:50 AM
Post #6 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Big climbing scene here. Went to a comp just last night. Then Vedauwoo this morning. Too weak to pull Friday the 13th. And I guess I have a paper to write sometime. I'll find out eventually.

kimble

Oct 19, 2003, 1:52 AM
Post #7 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went to Clarkson University in Potsdam, New York. This is where I met the people who got me into climbing. We have a gym which has developed very nicely. It has a few nice bouldering area's(including a cave and an overhung wall) and a short climbing wall. One of the ropes has a overhang. It's a very nice place for being entirely student run. It's located in an old gymnasium.

Also, while climbing in Connecticut today, I ran into and climbed with some U-Conn climbers :) Thanks to them for letting me join them.

oldhippywithdog

Oct 19, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #8 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man, next year i'll be joining ya, just wait till this summer anyway, we'll have a blast at new river and stuff.

maculated

Oct 19, 2003, 2:58 AM
Post #9 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I count since I'm in grad school now.

Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo.

There's an outdoor club, Poly Escapes, that has a pretty good program and great rentals available. They have a pretty new wall that's fun and available to cruise around on whenever. They also orchestrate trips off campus frequently.

Outside that, we have a terrible gym in SLO, decent climbing on rock in the area, and I have been told the co-op climbing club is pretty good. Looking into that.

baylorclimb

Oct 19, 2003, 2:59 AM
Post #10 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You go to Baylor....? Me too!!! Yeah so anyway, the people up at the gym at Baylor are awesome. So do you climb often? We should go climbing together. I'm there at least 3 times a week. PM me if you want to go up to Rogers together sometime...I've been and it rocks! Maybe some of the guys that work at the gym can go with us. :lol:

galt

Oct 19, 2003, 4:52 AM
Post #11 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to school in Florida... Yes that's right. Florida. As I type I'm in Maryland and am climbing at least once a week. Just wanted to point out, as "Flat" as Maryland is it beats the sox off of Florida. Climb on!

majoringinclimbing

Oct 19, 2003, 5:02 AM
Post #12 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

University of Nebraska here! I wish I could say that I did not go to our wall much because i went outdoors instead but we got nothin but indoors here. So instead I climb indoors all the time but I love it. Amazingly enough we have a decent size club and are pretty competitive at the comps we go to!

jono

Oct 19, 2003, 5:02 AM
Post #13 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Baylor University climber right here! We have a 52 foot indoor rock in our gym...but the climbing club no longer exists. Our Outdoor Adventure Organization takes climbing trips, never been on one but I think they would be fun. Also the people that work at the Rock are very nice and are willing to let you tag along when they head outside. Some of the buildings around campus are very nice for climbing...just have to watch out for the campus cops. (Sorry to hear about the Wazzu climber that died buildering.)
he was actually a WWU student in bellingham. its too bad though, and he didnt really slip either.

quam

Oct 19, 2003, 5:15 AM
Post #14 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just moved to Connecticut and am at the University of Hartford. I climbed a lot before I left and have only been once in the last month. It's a small school and we don't have a wall or any place for me to meet other climbers. It's definitely not something I can let go of easily so I'm going to stick with it and get out to the rocks or gyms as often as I can.

jerryw

Oct 19, 2003, 5:37 AM
Post #15 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dartmouth College here. We have a small gym on campus, not very high but plenty of boulder problems. There are a lot of people here that climbs here, and we have a pretty well established mountaineering club. We're an hour away from Rumney, and no too far away from Cathedral, Gunks, and Cannon.

collegekid

Oct 19, 2003, 6:18 AM
Post #16 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i climb at my school's student-run, 20 foot climbing wall. We don't have a team or a club (yet), but all the climbers at the gym sorta know each other like a club. It's a sad, sad little gym, but at least we get to set our own problems. Also, it's a good place to traverse and get pumped out.

roseraie

Oct 19, 2003, 7:21 AM
Post #17 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to UCSD (same as collegekid) and climb at our small gym sometimes. Most of the people I climb with outdoors aren't in college though, cuz I don't boulder much and everyone in college, UCSD at least, seems to prefer bouldering. :) No club or anything (yet...), just a few (overpriced) climbing trips with the outdoor adventures type program that I have never gone on. I think we're the only UC without a climbing club!

ahotasu

Oct 19, 2003, 7:36 AM
Post #18 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to a small private school in northeast georgia; i'm less than a 45 minute drive to currahee, mt yonah, tallulah gorge, though currahee is the only crag i frequent.. it's only 15 minutes away! no wall or climbing clubs here; too small... i think me and my partner are the only students here who do climb, aside from his girlfriend on the occasions he brings her along.

i'm graduating in december though! then i'll be in northwest georgia close to lostwall/boatrock, northeast AL climbing (sandrock etc) and most chatt area climbs which will be great... I'll probably also join escalade gym in kennesaw. I can't wait to graduate!

karmaklimber

Oct 19, 2003, 8:11 AM
Post #19 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I attend a college in the Bay Area; I'm lucky enough to have multiple gyms and various crags within a day's drive.

jeb

Oct 19, 2003, 8:17 AM
Post #20 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cal Poly, SLO. I wanted to get involved to improve the climbing program, but no love. Most folks don't seem to really "climb."

Then you obvioulsy didn't look to hard for the climbers because we are definately here. There are quite a few of us who really climb. In fact next weekend my roomate is taking off to Yosemite for some big wall now if that is not climbing then I dont know what is. Take an in depth look before you start bashing. We climb, we definately climb and in my opinion as a volunteer dependant outdoor program we are one of the best in the nation. If you want to improve it then become a trip leader and take out some trips. Later

bldr

Oct 19, 2003, 8:20 AM
Post #21 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i climb and am at sacramento state (CSUS). no campus wall but two good gyms in town and sacramento has a ton of climbing around. pretty sure the oa program climbs occasionally, but never felt the need to even look into it.

tarzan420

Oct 19, 2003, 8:52 AM
Post #22 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UAF undergrad here. (thats Alaska-Fairbanks for those of you who don't know) There's a wall on campus, but all the holds are owned and work is done by the alaska alpine club. Unfortunately, all the outdoor climbing is 1+ hour drive away, making it difficult for those of us without cars to get there. Also, if you don't do ice or mountaineering, you are limited to the gym 7-8 months a year here.

builderhigh

Oct 19, 2003, 1:00 PM
Post #23 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to school in Daytona Beach, Florida. I climb at the rock gym in Orlando a couple times a week and we try to take trips once a month or so out of this flat state, usually to nc, wv or ky. Next trip we are planning is to Nevada. anyone else climb in Florida??

wv5ten

Oct 19, 2003, 1:06 PM
Post #24 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WVU here. We have Cooper's Rock, and several other littler spots, plus the NRG is 2.5 hours away, and no more than 3 or 4 hours I believe to other spots. We have a 50-60 foot climbing wall, and a climbing club and Outdoor Adventure Club. Pretty big scene as far as climbing goes.

pisceian

Oct 19, 2003, 2:07 PM
Post #25 of 61 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a senior at Roanoke College in Virginia. Our climbing club is working on getting a wall, but I'll probably graduate before it's up. We've got McAfee's 15 minutes away for great bouldering, fire road boulders or you can do the 3.5 mile hike to get to the boulder field. We're right next to the mountains so there's tons of great hiking and probably a lot of undiscovered rock. We've got some routes nearby and we have fun trips. Roanoke also has a gym that is going to re open soon, new and improved.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook