RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

azeini

Oct 19, 2003, 8:40 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Recovering from knee pain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am recovering from a knee injury, which was probably caused by my rather uncoordinated attempts to begin rock climbing after having some experience in general mountaineering. I admit I have not visited a doctor yet.

Now my knee feels better and it seems that I may be able to go back where I had to leave. I am wondering if there are any recommendations on how to begin exercise and climbing after an injury?

corpse

Oct 19, 2003, 2:53 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Re: Recovering from knee pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No advice for you - but I want to piggy-pack this thread..

I still have a knee pain that is improving.. I was climbing in the park with the kids under the play equipment, and was stemming a couple metal poles (that sounds so bad!), and they are far apart thus my legs totally straight , probably a 90* angle between my legs. About a week later, I noticed a pain in my knee. the pain doesn't exist when I USE my leg, like bending it, not even when climbing - it hurts if I'm standing and I try to bend my leg backwards - it's like the knee cap got bruised or something (not self-diagnosing, just trying to clearly explain). It has been improving as I try to avoid putting "straight-leg" pressure on my knee, figuring that when my leg is bent the muscles are supporting hte joint.

azeini

Oct 19, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aha :shock:
Still, I am willing to share the thread :lol:, maybe someone can give us both advice on how to begin with training after an injury.
I am not even sure if that is really necessary, but I would like to avoid mistakes.

calfcramp

Oct 20, 2003, 1:12 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there. Advice? Knees are complicated. They have a lot of parts. Anything could "hurt", but it's hard to know what might my wrong with it without having it checked out. Get the doc to give you a prescription of physiotherapy and then go for a treatment. Shouldn't cost much, and knees are definitely worth taking care of.

My 2 scents.... :?

toejam

Oct 20, 2003, 7:03 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with calfcramp. There are all kinds of things that can go wrong with the knee, get a diagnosis from a good sports physician if you are having serious or chronic trouble.

I have a bit of chronic patellar tendonitis from overuse and hyperextending while fencing and mountainbiking with the seat too high. My treatment: Rest until the pain goes away, icing after reinjury, and building up the quad muscles with weight training to stabilize the knee. A pillow under the knees when sleeping on my back helps too.

broce

Oct 21, 2003, 1:27 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Now my knee feels better and it seems that I may be able to go back where I had to leave. I am wondering if there are any recommendations on how to begin exercise and climbing after an injury?

I've had knee issues for six years, from a non climbing related accident. Recently, I had a a tibial tubercle transfer, which involves cutting the top of the tibia bone where the knee tendon attaches, moving it over and down, and screwing it back into place. I have been through knee rehab no less than five times over the years. There is a lot you can to to rehab a knee, and Im going to suggest a website, The Kneeguru. They have great links to diagnostic information as well as recommendations for exercises, *all* of which I have used in physical therapy over the years. Go back slowly. Dont push yourself. Climb indoors (yeah, I know) to start. Dont do overhanging stuff at first, its really hard on the knees. Dont worry about the numbers, worry about your form, so you dont reinjure yourself. And please, *do* see a doctor. Trust me, you do *not* want to go through the kind of stuff Ive had to deal with over the last six years. Get it checked out, and make sure you have whatever support you might need (like a brace) before you climb.

broce

Oct 21, 2003, 1:29 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

There is a lot you can to to rehab a knee, and Im going to suggest a website, The Kneeguru.

It would have been nice if I had included the web site! http://www.kneeguru.co.uk

imaclima

Oct 21, 2003, 1:36 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go out, climb hard all day, drink a six pack for the pain when you get home, and hope you can walk in the morning

azeini

Oct 22, 2003, 12:07 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you very much for the information and the site. I had a look at it and am going to go through the material and I am going to see a doctor too. No lazyness anymore :)

dontfall

Oct 23, 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #10 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just deal with the pain and climb. I've had knee problems so many times I just gave up on the doc and decided to be my own doctor. I wear a knee brace when I'm playing sports (excluding climbing) to build stength and I also wear it when it feels out of wack and such. It may not make much sense but if you want, Walmart sells good braces, check it out.

broce

Oct 23, 2003, 12:36 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thank you very much for the information and the site. I had a look at it and am going to go through the material and I am going to see a doctor too. No lazyness anymore :)

Glad to hear it. Knee issues can get really serious if they arent addressed. The majority of them can be resolved through physical therapy. Only something like 2% of knee patients face the kind of situation I was in.

BTW, I was a 5.10 climber when I was injured. They wouldnt let me climb for four years. I found a doctor who understood. He thinks Im nuts, but he understands....and he also sees what climbing does in a positive way for my knee. He let me go back at 2.5 months, and I've climbed I think four, maybe 5 times since the surgery. I'm only 4 months out from this major bone cutting surgery, and I still have screws in my leg that will have to come out, but I climbed 5.9 in the gym last week. To be sure, the climb played to my strengths as a climber (it was a slab, I'm an ex ballet dancer with excellent footwork and "inhuman_- according to the doctor, other climbers, and my physical therapists ) flexibility. That being said, I thought it was pretty damn cool to climb at that level again when I once thought I wasnt ever going to climb at all.

If someone who had to go through a surgery most people never face can still climb, from what youve said, it sounds like you'll do fine with some physical therapy. Seeing the doctor is a good thing. Find out what your diagnosis is and do as much reasearch on the condition as you can. No one doctor knows everything about any condition, you know? Make sure yours is up on the latest technology. I had another issue (female thing, you probably dont need to know ) about 5 years ago, and did my own research. I found out that not only did I *not* need a hysterectomy, which one doctor recommended, I didnt need *any* invasive surgery and I found a doctor who knew the new, but proven, technique. I dont know anyone else who has had this technique, though I know plenty of women who have had surgery to correct this issue. It paid off big time for me to find the right doctor and do my own research. I've approached the knee thing the same way.

I talk to much. I'll shut up now

azeini

Oct 25, 2003, 8:51 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason I didn't see a doctor right away, was partly lazyness, partly the fact that I felt the pain would go away after some weeks/months of rest (I don't have chronic pain), but also because I don't like to go to doctors without doing my research first.
This is no disrespect for doctors, but it is always good if you understand a little bit about the subject. That helps preventing mistakes, as you mention in your example.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook