Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Guidebook to Rock Canyon?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stroker

Oct 19, 2003, 4:09 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Guidebook to Rock Canyon?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm wondering if the best guide to Rock Canyon is the Ruckmans Wasatch South. Is there any other guide to this area, one that I could still find?

-tda

rockprodigy

Oct 20, 2003, 8:21 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Re: Guidebook to Rock Canyon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock Canyon's a waste of time if ya ask me. Yes the Ruckman's guide is the only one, but you might check with Mountainworks in Provo/Orem, they would know if there is an update.

thehardnailer

Nov 3, 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock Canyon is a Fun place to climb, and covers alot of climbing. Trad to Rad and all points in between. The Ruckman's guide is the only one out there (allthough a new guide is in the works) and I think its out of print. Do stop at Mountain Works, Provo. They know everything there is to know about Rock Canyon. There were some supplimental guides that they produced awhile back...?? It's also the only place with a wide range of prob's that can be safely set as a T.R. Have Fun!

rockprodigy

Nov 4, 2003, 6:32 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be warned you have to go through BYU to get to Rock Canyon(shudder).

rockmaninoff

May 18, 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only someone who has not spent much time in Rock Canyon would call it a waste of time. :x Rock Canyon has quite a few bad routes, but has both a lot of classics and a lot of new climbing activity. Besides, Rock Canyon was the reason this website was founded. (Read Trevor's post).

esallen

Aug 29, 2004, 6:08 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just thought I'd put in my own two cents about Rock Canyon. RC may not have the prestigious, nationally renowned sport routes of American Fork Canyon; and it may not have a multitude of trad opportunities like in Little Cottonwood, but it does have a fun variety of climbing at varied levels of difficulty (usually between 5.7 and 5.11a).
Rock canyon is the perfect place for a beginner to learn the ropes and for an intermediate climber to hone his or her skills. The first multi-pitch climbs I ever did were in RC (Cool world, The Hidden, and Bad Bananas)
I as major traditional fan, I first started learning to place gear by trad-leading cracks on Ed and Terry, Green Monster, and even the little easy crack on Tinker Toys.
I know some people have been frustrated at the sandbagging and large crowds found in places such as The Kitchen and Chicago Overhang, but if you've never climbed elsewhere in RC, you are missing out!
If you can't stand to climb on anything but friction-granite or Southern Utah red-rock, you should stay away from RC. But if you are up for some interesting limestone fun, come chill in Provo a while and explore our little crag.
I had a hard time getting used to Little Cottonwood at first, but I'd never put the place down just because it's different. Variety in climbing is what makes the sport challenging.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook