timstich

Oct 23, 2003, 5:39 AM
Post #1 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

"Saying Yes - In Defense of Drug Use"
Report this Post
Can't Post

Saying Yes

I checked this out from the library a few weeks ago and finished it last week. Finally someone has written a book about drug use that neither champions drugs as the solution to all problems spiritual and emotional, nor piles on yet more negative spin to demonize them.

The author Jacob Sullum simply took his own personal observation that most people who have tried drugs neither became addicted to them nor continued to use them throughout their lives. Sullum investigates rumors and hearsay about pot, MDMA, cocaine, crack cocaine, heroin, PCP, LSD, and other hallucinogens.

Sullum also delves into the morality question as to whether or not one should use any drug to feel good. There's a lot of digging into Bible scripture and other religious texts to ferret out those answers. Much of that I couldn't wade through.

As to the question of addiction, Sullum maintains that it is a behavior problem and that what a person is addicted to hardly matters. Therefore heroin is no more "dangerous" than pain pills for instance. There is no such thing as a person not disposed to addictive behavior taking one hit of any drug and becomming instantly addicted.

And as for Ecstacy being a great sex drug, forget it. Originally known as a 'hug drug' for making intamacy easier and tactual sensations more intense, it robs sexual performance in men through either killing erections or making orgasms impossible. Like alcohol, the effects need to wear off.

It's an interesting read free from the usual biases and half-truths. It even smirks a little at the overblown promises for LSD by people like Timmothy Leary. Later chapters talk about legalization and how that has worked out in places like Holland. "We've succeeded in making pot boring." reported one Dutch official.

Highly recommended.

Partner camhead

Oct 23, 2003, 3:31 PM
Post #2 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Saying Yes - In Defense of Drug Use" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you checked it out, tim? in a public library? you're going to have the feds at your door any day now.

static_climber

Oct 23, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #3 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

was it good?

hello_heino

Oct 23, 2003, 7:36 PM
Post #4 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In recognition that 80 percent of stateside population is on maintainence medication of some sort (both OTC and prescription), Heino thinks the drug war is a very funny way to keep people's minds off the real issues that plague American society today. Heino has learned that the only real downside to marijuana use is getting caught.

timstich

Oct 23, 2003, 10:33 PM
Post #5 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you checked it out, tim? in a public library? you're going to have the feds at your door any day now.

Indeed. Am I not courageous?

timstich

Nov 20, 2003, 12:49 AM
Post #6 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I finished the book, so bump. First post has the review.

jono

Nov 20, 2003, 1:04 AM
Post #7 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i was in 6th grade i couldnt get booze to save my life, but there were guys in my PE class that did weed and cocaine all the time, once right in the locker room. its amazing i didnt become a coke head. if i didnt have booze i probably would be. theonion said it best "alcohol is my anti-drug"

Partner philbox

Nov 20, 2003, 1:04 AM
Post #8 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don`t do drugs, mkay, drugs are bad, mkay.

timstich

Nov 20, 2003, 1:42 AM
Post #9 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In recognition that 80 percent of stateside population is on maintainence medication of some sort (both OTC and prescription), Heino thinks the drug war is a very funny way to keep people's minds off the real issues that plague American society today. Heino has learned that the only real downside to marijuana use is getting caught.

There's one very curious story of a physician who was prescribing pain meds to himself and got noticed by the DEA. He was charged and convicted, whereupon they sent him to drug treatment. Later, he was prescribed meds under the guise of treatment. It's ridiculous.

tradpuppy

Nov 20, 2003, 9:12 PM
Post #10 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

They show that over there?

I wonder how many Mormons smashed their TVs after last night's episode?

"Joseph Smith was called a prophet,
dum dum dum dum duum duum"

enanubis

Nov 21, 2003, 3:28 AM
Post #11 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We spend something like 100 billion dollars on the war on drugs, why not sell and tax, like alcohol and cigs. Just a thought.

Partner philbox

Nov 21, 2003, 3:51 AM
Post #12 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

They show that over there?

"Joseph Smith was called a prophet,
dum dum dum dum duum duum"

South Park has been a huge hit over here. Aussies love irreverant humour and taking a swipe at Authoritaaaahhhhh is almost a national pastime.

I love the environment episode the best where the teacher took the kids down to save the rainforest of the Amazon but when she got bit by bugs she jumped on a bulldozer and flattened the place.

jookyhead

Nov 21, 2003, 5:15 AM
Post #13 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I happen to be friends with a lot of Mormons and they all thought it was hilarious :lol:

tradpuppy

Nov 21, 2003, 3:39 PM
Post #14 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Poor Mr. Maki. He should have stayed in India with the hippy chick.

In reply to:
I love the environment episode the best where the teacher took the kids down to save the rainforest of the Amazon but when she got bit by bugs she jumped on a bulldozer and flattened the place.

The Chris Reeve fetus sucking episode sent me reeling into fits of floor grabbing, uncontrollable laughter like no other. I thought horsepenshippie was going to have to give me cpr.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook