Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

offwidthclimber

Feb 12, 2002, 7:06 AM
Post #26 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Your Best Climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sport route - a nice little 10d almost no one would know about. rotten crack @ granite point.

trad route - godzilla/city park 10b at index, wa. killer yosemite style granite jams for 2 pitches. way good.

bouldering - the mushroom boulder traverse, V4. great creation on the water at coeur d'alene lake. took me a while to work out because it's pumpy with a tricky crux mantle exit.

peace out.

Partner phylp

Feb 12, 2002, 6:07 PM
Post #27 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is an IMPOSSIBLE question to answer! There are so many phenomenal climbs. How about some favorites?

I do Lucky Streaks (10.a or 10.d variations) on Fairview in Tuolomne every year or so because it is such a beautiful line. Oz (10.d) on DruG Dome is gorgeous. How can you leave out West Crack (5.9)?

How can you pick just one climb in the Valley! I like longer routes so I guess I'll recommend everybody do Serenity Crack (10.d) followed by Sons of Yesterday (10.a) for 8 great pitches. But I also get a great deal of satisfaction out of doing slabby routes where you need to be intensely focused. A prime example is Green Dragon (11.b R).

One of the most unbelieveably fun sport routes I've every done was She's the Bosch (11.b) in City of Rocks. It just goes up and up, gently overhanging with big jugs. Owen's River Gorge has 5 star sport routes from 5.7 up! Pure fun.

Scariest route I've ever done was Shadows in the Rain (5.10+ X) at the Needles of CA. You do this delicate 5.9- move on crumbly granite looking at a huge groundfall. I didn't know it was rated X when I went up on it!
Boy this question has got me PSYCHED to get outside SOON!

mikedano

Feb 13, 2002, 8:20 PM
Post #28 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely my fav is Kor's Flake at Lumpy Ridge. It's about 800 ft. of mostly 5.7 on beautiful granite. Overlooking Long's Peak and Rocky Mountain NP on a sunny August day with a great friend--truly a wonderful experience.

rigel

Feb 13, 2002, 9:19 PM
Post #29 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my first multipitch, back side of E-rock right at sunset. it was my first time on granite and the view was spectacular.

timhinck

Feb 14, 2002, 3:49 AM
Post #30 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, being born and bred in the Southeast, most of my memorable climbs are here.

One that stands out is my redpoint of Total Eclipse 11c at Sunset Park, TN. I worked that thing the whole summer of 2000. It is a hard roof down low (11c) and then a beautiful hand crack (7+) to a crimpy crux at the top (11a). Definantly my longest project so far. Also the view is absolutely breathtaking from the top of that climb. Working that upper crux, you seem to be clinging to a blank wall and you look left and see the river down in the valley and you think..."i am really climbing".

peace out,

tim

cireyelneh

Feb 14, 2002, 5:18 AM
Post #31 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly...I'm so new it's not even funny and my best climb has only been in the gym...BUT...hopefully my partner who is teaching me the Ropes... ...Will take me out to the rock and let me taste and see what I have not yet truly experienced...Let me live the true experience and climb on!...

jackmguirk

Feb 14, 2002, 2:23 PM
Post #32 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best trad route: "Intimidation" (10C) on Cathedral ledge in north conway nh

Best sport route: "The Legend" (13b) at red river gorge, haven't done it yet but i will next trip, super fun sloper slapping
jay

hangerlessbolt

Feb 15, 2002, 2:25 AM
Post #33 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the routes that I have done have been incredibly enjoyable...So to pick one is somewhat difficult...

I guess I would have to go with Cathedral Peak. While it's a 6-pitch trad route that I could do in my 5.tennies ...it was a great experience...

My partner and I hauled enough gear for two nights and the climb itself.
We set up camp in the saddle at the base of the formation.
The next morning we got up at 6:00 for a nice early start. I brought my disposable camera and took pictures at every belay stance.
We got to the summit block, tied in, and my partner "accidentally" dropped my camera 800' off the side of the rock!

We made the walk off and in the beautiful nature of Karma...marmots had eaten the tops of his new boots off that he had left outside of the tent. (I laughed my happy little a$$ off...)

We spent another night there...bouldered and hiked around the next morning. Then packed up our gear and headed out.

It was a great experience...got to do it again sometime...any volunteers...???

gunked

Feb 15, 2002, 3:29 AM
Post #34 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I loved reading about everybody's climbs. When I'm not climbing, I'm usually dreaming of it!

What an unbelievably difficult question to answer!!! My memories of some chosspiles are just as beautiful as some of the big, clean, and aesthetic climbs.

I'll name a few : Nosedive (gunks), High E(gunks), CCK direct (gunks), Hell, every line in the gunks is pretty memorable!
Traveller's Buttress, Bear's Reach, Corrugation Corner @ Lover's Leap. One hand clapping @ Donner. Fairview Dome, regular route, The prow, West face of Leaning tower in Yosemite.

Ice climbs : Left Flow in Lee Vining, Chouinard's Gully in Adirondacks.

Interestingly enough, the only sport climbs that really stick out are Mississippi Moon, RRG and Passionfish, RRG.

Every one of these climbs and hundred's more stick out in my mind for different reasons. I think, in the end, Every purely traditional line I've done stick out a little more just for the feeling of adventure.

I enjoy sport lines, but the thought of showing up to any piece of rock or ice and using and removing just myself and my gear and my partner gets my blood boiling just a bit more.

mountainrat

Feb 15, 2002, 4:01 AM
Post #35 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first. I was looking for a hiking trail someone suggested, and I spotted these cliffs on the other side of the creek, and they just seemed to beckon to me. I was all alone, and climbed my first pitch that day with a pounding heart, sweaty palms, and Elvis leg like crazy... but that was it. I was completely, hopelessly hooked right then.

saltspringer

Feb 16, 2002, 10:29 PM
Post #36 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd have to say Deidre, a 7 pitch 5.7+ in Squamish: my first multi-pitch, first multi-pitch lead and just an all-around enjoyable climb with great protection and lots of opportunities to appreciate the view from halfway up the Chief

colin

Feb 16, 2002, 10:42 PM
Post #37 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glass Gecko
It took me about a month of training\trying to put it up.

nctxcllimer

Feb 17, 2002, 5:49 AM
Post #38 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tits and Beer,5.9,4 pitches, at Looking Glass, NC. It is on the Sun Wall. There is no vegitation on that part of the wall. It is in the Middle of Pisgah National Forrest in the Blue Rige Mountions (the most beautiful mountion range in the would) I took my 1st leader fall on that one and it took me three or four tries to get the ball to finnish it. Each try with the same partner.

miagi

Feb 18, 2002, 5:59 AM
Post #39 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1.6 - Hey man im a lazy Bast*rd

Partner sauron

Feb 18, 2002, 7:35 PM
Post #40 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So far in my puny short climbing career - I'll have to say the most fun climb I've done was White Lightning in Josh.. Yeah, ask hangerlessbolt and nikegirl about me topping out on that thing - but it blew me away...

Some day I'll be able to look back and say "oh, yeah - I coulda done that one in my sneakers.."

- d.

orngave

Feb 19, 2002, 6:08 AM
Post #41 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Being fairly new to the sport. Dead girls don't say no, 5/10c. It was fun, it was the first real slopper I have ever stuck.

E.B.

apollodorus

Feb 19, 2002, 7:03 AM
Post #42 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably the most memorable climb for me was the Snake Dike. I'd been climbing less than a month, and all of a sudden, I'm leading with 1000' feet of air on the back of Half Dome. It's a pretty amazing rock feature, too.

My first wall was pretty cool: Arrow Direct. The only bad thing was 1. going up YF trail and setting ropes out of the notch and 2. the death march approach.

sonofspork

Feb 20, 2002, 2:04 AM
Post #43 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the top of the Tramway, CA, there is a valley that is largely undeveloped (bouldering only). One of the few problems that is there is called "The Cube". It starts on an overhanging arete and goes to matched edges. With a heel hook, bump the left hand up to a sidepull. Dyno for the lip and then traverse the lip for about 4 feet or so. Awsome route!!!

-sONofSpORk

runningitout

Apr 21, 2002, 6:16 PM
Post #44 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

favorite...whats that?

I loved Directissima (which jackmguirk led) and it loved me.

Serenity (Yosemite) rocked, its higher end: Sons of Yesterday tried to rip my feet off, so I didn't like it too much.

My favorite f*up climb was Royal Arches. We didn't bring enough water, so we got dehydrated and I got stupid and ran straight into a boulder, litterally, on the route
(think of a ryhnosaurus trying to nock over a boulder, that was me!)

God am I cool,
Lis

climbingmusician

Apr 21, 2002, 7:44 PM
Post #45 of 45 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think my best climb was one that i did in connecticut. It was a 5 7 i think but it was probably one of my best climbs

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook