Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

krestkid

Oct 19, 2003, 2:28 PM
Post #26 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Re: college climbers?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

quote]he was actually a WWU student in bellingham. its too bad though, and he didnt really slip either.
Yeah, I think I remember that the paper said he went to WWU. I know he didn't slip, he touched an electrical wire (or something of the sort). Either way it's unfortunate that it happened.

Oh yeah...Baylor climber...you crazy _______ *insert Hi-d's favorite word in the blank.* Too bad you already are one out of my two steady climbing partners.

organic

Oct 19, 2003, 2:35 PM
Post #27 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

University of Illinois at Chicago here! No, outdoor adventure club that i know of and no climbing wall. I hope that next year I can transfer to Southern illinois that would rock! Pun intended!

taraus_de_bull

Oct 19, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #28 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good old Univ. of Delaware!! man its flat. we have a small sucky wall and long drives to any good crags. its not fun, yet we have a group of dedicated climbers to make the drives routinely. We also have a climbing club and a mountaineering club.

josephine

Oct 19, 2003, 4:49 PM
Post #29 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How many people here are in college and climb? I know there is a group of solid climbers at University of Maryland, but i have to say maryland is a poor state for climbing in general. So where u at? Does your school have a wall? indoor or outdoor? Do they have a team? any interesting facts? thanks, peace.

I'm a student in the American College of Greece, we have an indoor wall, and yes we have a climbing team,we plan outdoor trips every now and then...

telesteve

Oct 19, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #30 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guess you could call me a florida climber (Tallahassee) - but I spend less than 2 months a year down here, so that's not exactly correct.

Earlham College, IN. We've got a nice (albeit small) wall and about 10 student and 5 faculty climbers (not bad for a school of 1000)- Red River Gorge is 4 1/2 hours away - talk about dedicated. Taking a year off, the flatlands make me depressed.

iltripp

Oct 19, 2003, 5:08 PM
Post #31 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to North Carolina State University, and climb when I'm not too bogged down with school and work (not often enough at all). Good ol' NC is a pretty good craggin' state, so we have lots to climb (just not enough time). No climbing club or anything like that, but there's an outing club that does some climbing trips from time to time. Oh... we got a wall here, but it sucks. It's this twenty foot concrete piece of shit. Some guy decided to try to make it like "real rock", but all we ended up with was gritty concrete (read... lots of scraped knees, a lot more than I ever get on "real rock" too). It gets real greasy real fast and I never go there. Personally I think that if you wanna do some outdoor crags, go crag. If you wanna do some training in a gym, climb in a gym, but trying to make a gym like an outdoor crag is pretty dumb (at least in the case of our gym).

beachrya

Oct 19, 2003, 5:18 PM
Post #32 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

VT. I am only a freshman, so i am still learning the local crags. So far i have found 2 or 3 climbing spots about 45 min away. NRG is a little less that 2 hrs away. A couple of the club guys had walls in their apartments. A really nice wall is being built by a local church that we will be using much. there is a pretty good variety of local stuff. I'm happy so far.

cadaverchris

Oct 19, 2003, 5:49 PM
Post #33 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm at University of Maryland. Great place to be- huge outdoor climbing tower (60ft) good place to have a job and train.

everything east coast is so close.
Coopers ROck 4 hours
Gunks 4 hours
New River 6 hours
Seneca/Franklin/Nelson 3 Hours
shenendoah Nat'l Park 2 Hours
lots of PA 2 Hours
And tons of local gems in maryland for day trips

climbing in college is a total balancing act. work hard play hard. Never do homework/study on weekends- thats when you should be cranking hard at new and different places!!! get your school work done during the week.!!

lookaughtbelow

Oct 19, 2003, 6:12 PM
Post #34 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im a student in Munich and we have about a 50 wall at the Olympic Park and some good trad and sport climbing nearby in the south near austria. i need to get to switzerland and italy next year though. I also go to PSU (penn state) and climb some htere but there isnt shit around state college, pa. a rock quarry is the best ive found, if you live near VW then go to the NRG, thats good stuff

gatorclimber

Oct 19, 2003, 6:45 PM
Post #35 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to the University of Florida in Gainesville. No indigenious rock anywhere, but a really nice gym only 5min from my apartment. About an 8 hour trip to HP40 and Rocktown.

braaaaaaaadley

Oct 19, 2003, 6:50 PM
Post #36 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to school @ emory & henry college next to abingdon va. Climbing everywhere!

turockgirl

Oct 20, 2003, 11:35 PM
Post #37 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to the University of Tulsa....there's some rocks about 5 min away...better ones are about 3.5 hours away....

rvega

Oct 20, 2003, 11:40 PM
Post #38 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stanford! But I'm a very (emphasis on very) senior graduate student, so I don't consider myself a college kid. Don't think ungrads would say I'm a college student either.

fyreflii

Oct 20, 2003, 11:42 PM
Post #39 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just started at Cal Poly Pomona this fall. I've found a couple people who say they climb, but only one actually seems serious about it. Unfortunately, no car = no climb. I'm lucky enough to have a fun group to climb with in JTree on weekends, so that's been awesome. The closest gym is 1.5 hours by bus, so that cuts out any weekday training. Grr.

xcire

Oct 20, 2003, 11:45 PM
Post #40 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Asu here no wall at the school but an indoor gym 1 mile away right across the street from my apartment. I can see it now.

mattdog

Oct 20, 2003, 11:46 PM
Post #41 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clemson University, South Carolina here. Go Tigers! There's no real climbing in South Carolina, but we've got an indoor gym (35') at the university rec center. Far and away the BEST indoor climbing in upstate SC is Trailhead Climbing and outdoor center.

The good thing about upstate SC though, is that its real close to North Carolina and Georgia, where there is good climbing.

Gotta warn you though, don't tell anybody you're a sport climber down here. They'll string you up and hang you out to dry by your toenails!

strongbad

Oct 20, 2003, 11:46 PM
Post #42 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Northeastern University. I only know two other kids that climb here... and one moved home to colorado and the other just had a kid... Guess Im climbing alone for awhile....

Boston Rock Gym is good, but I don't like anything outdoor around here... Gotta truck north!

powertrain

Oct 26, 2003, 6:42 PM
Post #43 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Concerning your remarks to the "College Climbing" forum:
Really?!!! Those are some interesting comments coming from a person with a tick list as extensive as yours! First of all there are a grip of REAL climbers in SLO. I am pretty sure you would not be considered one of them. These people are so commited to the SLO climbing community and so passionate about climbing I cannot even begin to imagine how you figure otherwise. If you feel you got "no love" from the climbers in SLO, you have obviously been going about getting involved wrong. The climbers are so friendly and are dying for fresh climbing interest. Im sure if they met you and if in fact you were really passionate about climbing they would embrace that passion instantly.
On a second note: If you want to degrade SLO-OP climbing to being just an OK co-op I recomend you take that up with me personaly instead of just spraying trash across the internet. It is to my knowledge that you have never even been to SLO-OP. This is obvious because if you had been you would have seen how RAD it is, how it is THE way to get involved and you would have met all the REAL climbers there. Oh wait.... I think I remember that your one of those trad climbers who thinks mushy ( yet it is really called mushies) is rated by the YDS at 5.11. Hummmmm.... supposively you also did both the low and high traverses on Clarissa? I would be very impressed to see that. Either way. If you do truely pull down hard ass shit on Clarissa you would be dying to get involved at slo op, and priveleged to climb with the people there.
Third: I guess you do deserve a little credit for recognising that CRUX is a shitty ass gym. Perhaps there is hope for your climbing future. It is good that you want to be involved and help the SLO climbing community but talking trash on the climbing community and SLO-OP, the best thing SLO has to offer is the wrong way. Girl, please take this email to heart. Don't type what you don't know about. If you love climbing you will see that this is not the way. If you really want to meet climbers and get involved in SLO, OPEN YOUR MIND!!!!. They do exist!.

powertrain

Oct 26, 2003, 6:43 PM
Post #44 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For confirmation, my previous message was directed at "maculated", concerning Cal Poly and SLO

nikdemeis

Oct 26, 2003, 9:22 PM
Post #45 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a college student at bard which is 30-40 minutes away from the gunks. We have no wall nothing. Also i am the only one who i know of that climbs here. I find it strange to be so close to someof the best climbing on the east coast and have other climbers which sucks cause i don't have a car so i can't even get there if i wanted to. So basically i have to sit here and be taunted by the gunks that i can't get to very easily at all. It sucks

alvchen

Oct 26, 2003, 9:52 PM
Post #46 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm Secretary/Treasurer of the Santa Clara University Climbing Club. We have 100+ people on the mailing list, yet only 10 or less people come to meetings. No wall on campus, but we have two gyms about 10-15 minutes from school. Castle Rock is only 40 minutes away too.

griffix

Oct 26, 2003, 9:56 PM
Post #47 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to Grand Valley State, near Grand rapids, MI. We have a pretty decent wall, mainly set up for top roping, but is also set up for lead. There are two competitions a year: Bring Your Own Beta and Pathfinder. The wall gets striped and reconfigured before these competitions. There is no teams that I am aware of, but there is a club, that meets three times a week and goes on trips two or three times a year. The club has about 30 or so members and it is a lot of fun to hang out with them. The membership fee is $25 a semester and you get free climbing on Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights.

afireinside

Oct 26, 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #48 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm a college climber. I go to New Paltz about 8 miles from the gunks, its great. Theres a wall in town called the inner wall and thats about it. We don't have a climbing team but we have a "bouldering club" that does night bouldering.

spoon

Oct 26, 2003, 11:35 PM
Post #49 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a freshman at the University of Puget Sound. We have a gym in a converted racketball court, and although there's equipment for tr everyone just boulders because the wall isn't tall enough to make roping up worth it. It's kind of small, but there is a core of dedicated climbers who are in there all the time, and set cool problems. There's always someone climbing at one of the few crags within a few hours on the weekends (I hit up little si yesterday) and they all seem happy to meet new climbers.

blikmeister_j

Oct 27, 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #50 of 61 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb in college as well, well. Since I live in Holland there are hardly any natural formations, but the university has a pretty active climbing club with a nice selection of facilities. They include a concrete wall, a regular gym wall and a bouldering wall that has a variable angle. For 5 euros more members can use the local gym as well, which provides longer routes above all else.

Apart from that there are regular trips to climbing areas nearby in germany, belgium and further, up to Italy, and you can borrow the necessary climbing gear as well. I for one have just returned from my beginnersweekend in the Ith (in Germany) and it was cool, now know I want to do a lot more outdoor climbing, preferably with a bit more agreeable weather though...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook